BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rating v Voting
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 07:07 AM
Post #1
Yes, it's me.
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,885

Definitions - for those not on my wavelength.

Rating is giving a mark out of 10 (for example) for every entrant in a competition. In calculating the results, the average of all these rates becomes the final score for the entrant.

Voting is selecting your favourites from a given list and ordering them best-to-worst where each position gets a different mark awarded to it in the calculation of the results. The final result is the sum of all votes given to that particular entrant.

Which do you prefer? Which is the fairest?

Which yields the best/most accurate results?

I prefer voting to rating. The drawback to rating means that average entrants do far better than they should as they invariably gets floods of 4s,5s and 6s. In voting these get forgotten as voters are concentrating on what they love rather than their opinion on every entrant.

The draw back to voting is that if you perhaps have a love for more of the entrants that someone else voting you cannot express this because you can only have one entrant getting top marks, only one getting second top marks...the same as everyone else. This does restrict looning to a degree - which might be seen as a positive.

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: Nov 8 2014, 09:02 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Nov 8 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #2
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

Which do you prefer?
Obviously, voting.

Especially with a selection from many songs, when you don't need to give any points for the songs, which you don't like or never heard.

This post has been edited by Outcast: Nov 8 2014, 10:22 AM

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #3
Yes, it's me.

Well, you could rate them all as zero?

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 8 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #4
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

03 David Cameron
07 Ed Miliband
02 Nick Clegg
05 Natalie Bennett
-1 Nigel Farage

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 8 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #5
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

08 Voting
09 Rating
02 Hotchoc26

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #6
Yes, it's me.

Would you like to explain your preference for rating, Mr Blind?

cool.gif (this is the blind smilie, isn't it?)

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 8 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Well my favourite music site is based almost entirely on ratings! I think on balance you end up with the more widely loved and appreciated songs at the top of the pile when averaged out. You do get some anomalously high songs from few very high ratings, and plenty of middling-average votes but that is similar with the voting (best to worst), plus rating allows you to really penalise songs/albums that you really hate, against those you love. When you vote (as in BJSC and UP) you often end up unable to give this benefit.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #8
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 8 2014, 12:23 PM) *
You do get some anomalously high songs from few very high ratings, and plenty of middling-average votes but that is similar with the voting (best to worst),

Do you?

I guess the only way to know for sure is to actually do both but I'm not sure if anyone has the interest or patience to conduct this research. It depends on so many factors.

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: Nov 8 2014, 12:32 PM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 8 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Well, if you for example have 20 songs to vote from.

19 of which you love to varying degrees, but 1 is Cheryl Cole. If you could only vote (best to worst) you end up with the 19th best receiving just a small advantage over your most hated. In a rating system you can give them all numbers ranging near to the top and Cheryl Cole a MINUS 1.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 12:40 PM
Post #10
Yes, it's me.

Yes but with 20 songs to rate and 20 people rating them your -1 does little damage compared to the indifference of everyone else giving her 4 and 5.

Rating has a larger effect on the hated entrants more than voting does. Voting moderates the amount of loonacy that is available to the voter compared to rating.

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: Nov 8 2014, 12:40 PM

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 8 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Rating definitely, if just because it cuts out any looning that may happen and gives a more balanced view from everyone, it's also a hell of a lot easier to format just putting a number next to everything than ordering a huge list of songs! tongue.gif

Similar thing with the Buzzrate and Buzzchart differences - with the latter, you've only got a select number of members to choose from and it tends to benefit those with a lot of personal connections/haters, whereas the rate allows everyone to rate everyone so it far more 'reflective' of someone's overall popularity.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Nov 8 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #12
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I'm gonna have to go with rating as well. With voting things out of a competition I always go for my genuine least favourite no matter what but I've seen how people just form alliances and vote tactically. I mean, what's the point of even doing the game? It's just a waste of everybody's time.

With rating you tend to get more realistic, unbiased results in the end.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #13
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Nov 8 2014, 01:14 PM) *
Rating definitely, if just because it cuts out any looning that may happen and gives a more balanced view from everyone, it's also a hell of a lot easier to format just putting a number next to everything than ordering a huge list of songs! tongue.gif

How does it cut out looning? Loons can still give an unlimited amount of 9s (if the rules allow, if not then 8s) skewing the results. I dont think it's balance.

With voting everyone's weighting is the same. Obviously, one person might not love their 10 favourite as much as someone else loves theirs but that's less of a drawback, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: Nov 8 2014, 02:53 PM

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 02:43 PM
Post #14
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Nov 8 2014, 01:23 PM) *
I'm gonna have to go with rating as well. With voting things out of a competition I always go for my genuine least favourite no matter what but I've seen how people just form alliances and vote tactically. I mean, what's the point of even doing the game? It's just a waste of everybody's time.

With rating you tend to get more realistic, unbiased results in the end.

That's not the sort of voting I meant.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Nov 8 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #15
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Nov 8 2014, 02:43 PM) *
That's not the sort of voting I meant.

Do forgive me. sleep.gif Lack of sleep + hangover = not 100% functioning brain.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 8 2014, 04:13 PM
Post #16
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Nov 8 2014, 02:42 PM) *
How does it cut out looning? Loons can still give an unlimited amount of 9s (if the rules allow, if not then 8s) skewing the results. I dont think it's balance.

With voting everyone's weighting is the same. Obviously, one person might not love their 10 favourite as much as someone else loves theirs but that's less of a drawback, in my opinion.

But the people that don't loon for it can stop that by giving it a low average that balances out it's mark a bit more, obvs it's not totally foolproof and people can still abuse the system by tactically rating, but rating allows you, as Doctor Blind has said, to punish things that you don't like and make that reflected in the results whereas not voting for something doesn't particularly do much to harm to it considering there's a lot of other things in the list you wouldn't have voted for either.

Also, I do believe weightings are at least almost equal in rating too - apart from the 11 and -1 which are extreme marks, a 10 is a 10 and everything else that gets it gets an equal benefit, you don't have to leave 'commiserations/sorry I couldn't vote for etc.' as everything's there to mark. Even a mere 7 or 8 when you wanted to give a 9 won't necessarily harm it's average by that much.

Say in a Buzzjack's favourite 90s song voting poll or whatever, one song gets loads and loads of top end marks and finishes very high in the chart above a song that got more voters but less top end marks - I don't think it says much about which Buzzjack thinks is better, it only says that the song that got a lot of top end marks has got a big fanbase, it's detractors don't really get a say.

I would say for things like albums it's better to vote as a lot of people wouldn't have heard a lot of the albums on the list in regards to taste etc., but for songs or songs on an album, I'd say rating is far better overall.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Nov 8 2014, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 8 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #17
Yes, it's me.

I guess I dont care for dragging down something that I dislike as much as stopping others from over rating a huge chunk of the entrants.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 12:17 PM