BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poppy Fascism
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Nov 9 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #1
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

I've been reading a lot of articles recently about people's ill feeling towards the poppy appeal, the above display at the Tower of London and the recent cases of abuse sent to (among others) ITV News presenter Charlene White and Footballer James McClean over their decision not to wear poppies. Given what day it is today and Tuesday, what are your feelings about the poppy apeal? Do you think poppy fascism is a thing that exists? Will you be opting for an alternative form of rememberence such as a white poppy?

Suggested reading:
Guardian article from 28-Oct "The Tower of London poppies are fake, trite and inward-looking – a Ukip-style memorial"
Al-Jazeera article from today - "the current red poppy mania isn't intended as remembrance so much as a kind of cultish determination to impose a particular reading of history"

(P.S - I know this is quite an emotive topic for a lot of people so in the interests of everybody, please keep it civil)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Nov 9 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #2
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

James Mclean had an excellent response tbh.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/wigan...nt-wear-a-poppy

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Nov 9 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #3
#TeamKrustyKrab
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

Wow that's really well written and argued

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 9 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Given that I'm from Northern Ireland, where the poppy has been somewhat appropriated to include the memory who those who were killed whilst being members of proscribed organizations, I've never felt comfortable wearing the poppy, and have never done so. If I was pushed in a situation to wear one, eg. If I was on the BBC during the run-up to Remembrance Day, I would opt for the white poppy, given my pacifism.

I would also say that given that many of the soldiers who are being remembered today died in order to defeat fascism, I do think that the title of this topic is somewhat inappropriate.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 9 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #5
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

I normally find the white poppy to be the ultimate in inappropriate 'LOOK AT ME' statement-ism (though that's partly because I think pacifism is the ultimate in glib, skin-deep, nicey-nice metropolitan liberal politics which doesn't have any real answers for a lot of the conflicts and oppressions in the world at the moment. That said, I'd totally understand why someone from Northern Ireland would choose to wear one).

The red poppy is what you make of it. I refuse to let others define it for me, just as I refuse to let others define the two-minute silence. I also think it's the height of idiocy that some people think wearing a poppy ought to be compulsory, but then '47% of the public are historically illiterate braindeads' isn't exactly news.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Nov 9 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #6
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Nov 9 2014, 06:12 PM) *
Given that I'm from Northern Ireland, where the poppy has been somewhat appropriated to include the memory who those who were killed whilst being members of proscribed organizations, I've never felt comfortable wearing the poppy, and have never done so. If I was pushed in a situation to wear one, eg. If I was on the BBC during the run-up to Remembrance Day, I would opt for the white poppy, given my pacifism.

I would also say that given that many of the soldiers who are being remembered today died in order to defeat fascism, I do think that the title of this topic is somewhat inappropriate.

That phrase is what people have been calling it on social media, I should have explained that in the opening post. My apologies.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 9 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #7
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

As somebody who wears the red poppy, I think the phrase 'poppy fascism' is totally appropriate. The people trying to enforce the poppy are totally ignorant of exactly what we were fighting against and are trying to turn it into a nationalistic orgy of compulsory poppy wearing to honour 'R HEREOES'. The point of it all is utterly missed.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 9 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #8
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 9 2014, 06:52 PM) *
As somebody who wears the red poppy, I think the phrase 'poppy fascism' is totally appropriate. The people trying to enforce the poppy are totally ignorant of exactly what we were fighting against and are trying to turn it into a nationalistic orgy of compulsory poppy wearing to honour 'R HEREOES'. The point of it all is utterly missed.

Exactly! I completely agree, if I take what I've seen from people around me (on my Facebook etc.) this post exactly sums up what I feel. I was trying to word it correctly but couldn't quite get there laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 9 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

As I would broadly describe myself as a pacifist I generally wear a white poppy. I got a lot of stick for that from some Tories when I was a councillor but I didm't let that stop me. For me, a white poppy shows respect for the dead but also expresses a hope for an end to war.

For some years it has seemed to be almost obligatory to wear a poppy which, as others have said, rather goes against the whole point of WWII. While the BBC deny it, it does seem that everybody appearing on screen - apart from drama etc. - has to wear one. It is made worse by their opposition to other emblems such as a red ribbon for World Aids Day.

As a generally stereotypical Guardian reader, however, I disagree with the comments on the Tower Of London display. I think it is a rather beautiful memorial although I hope the number of poppies includes those shot for desertion. Jonathan Jones is right to say that we should never forget the horrors of war but that doesn't mean there is no room for a simple memorial such as this one.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Nov 13 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #10
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Did John Snow refuse to wear one?

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 13 2014, 12:40 AM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Jon Snow can barely remember where he is these days, he shouldn't be doing Channel 4 news anymore (much as it pains me to say it, as I really like him).

Anyway, there should be no 'refuse' in the first place - he should not be forced to wear one. As stated in this thread, it goes against everything that they are supposed to symbolise.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Nov 13 2014, 12:43 AM
Post #12
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

But it's JOHNS NEWS SHOW

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 09:30 PM