BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists that have underperformed in 2014?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGrinch
post Nov 10 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #1
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

The Topic title sums up my point very well. What artists do you think have underperformed in 2014?

Nicole Scherzinger - Following her stint as X Factor, I expected her to have a fair amount of general public supporting her but with awful promotion following 'Your Love' she was deemed to under-perform which resulted into her album spending two weeks top 100.

The Saturdays - 'Not Giving Up' and 'What Are You Waiting For' were both snubbed by radios with 'What Are You Waiting For' a lead single scraping the top 40 with 'Finest Selection' just managing to peak within the top 10.

Pixie Lott - There was a fair amount of momentum coming into this campaign following a small break and a decent enough album campaign with 'Young Foolish And Happy' but 'Nasty' despite peaking in the top 10 killed all momentum causing 'Lay Me Down' to miss the top 100.

Ella Eyre - I know she's only released two songs but following winning critics choice, I fully expected her to smash the charts but both singles have missed the top 10 with poor chart runs.

Fifth Harmony - There seemed to be a fair amount of hype behind them across the world when releasing Bo$$ but it flopped worldwide with 'Sledgehammer' only opening up with 15,000 sales in the United States.

Lady Gaga - G.U.Y.

Foxes - She had an incredible amount of Radio 1 airplay behind her and only 'Let Go For Tonight' has done reasonably well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
April
post Nov 10 2014, 12:09 AM
Post #2
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

G.U.Y. was a buzz single.

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Nov 10 2014, 12:10 AM
Post #3
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Last Post 3 minutes ago
In: Artists that have underperform...
By: PixieLott

Your username sums up your point very well too, Lee! kink.gif

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Nov 10 2014, 12:12 AM
Post #4
🙄

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Nov 10 2014, 12:10 AM) *
Last Post 3 minutes ago
In: Artists that have underperform...
By: PixieLott

Your username sums up your point very well too, Lee! kink.gif

When will Mel B ever be asked to appear on a Matalan advert?

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 10 2014, 12:20 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

Sam Smith tbh. :/

In all seriousness, two of the biggest examples for me are Lily Allen and Lana Del Rey. Both were tipped as big things to look out for in 2014 following their previous successes but, despite #1 albums, they haven't done very well:

Lily suffered mess single releases - 'Hard Out Here' and 'Our Time' were both released when the preceding single had only just been released - and the fact that neither the record company nor Lily were on board with the singles, it's no surprise the public weren't.

With Lana, she's not the type of artist to sell singles but she could have performed a lot better if something like 'Shades of Cool' or 'Brooklyn Baby' was released as lead single rather than 'West Coast' which took forever to click (and I seem to remember iTunes messing up or something). Then the rest of the campaign went dead quiet aside from Glastonbury/Big Weekend performances.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Nov 10 2014, 12:33 AM
Post #6
🙄

I forgot Lana actually released an album this year!

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Nov 10 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #7
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE(PixieLott @ Nov 10 2014, 12:12 AM) *

Mel B has some advice for Pixie x

(Lmao I'm just messing, I actually love 'Caravan of Love'! ohmy.gif I hope it picks up.)

+Quote Post
:')
post Nov 10 2014, 04:14 AM
Post #8
tidal certified artist
Member No.: 6,764

'G.U.Y.' was a buzz single tho~
  • Gaga paid for the music video herself indicating that her label weren't supportive of the release.
  • The music video wasn't solely for 'G.U.Y.' but for 'ARTPOP', 'Venus' and 'MANiCURE' too, indicating that it's main purpose was to promote the album hence it being dubbed an ARTPOP film.
  • Gaga did no live promo or interviews for the song and when she was on Jimmy Kimmel, she sang 'ARTPOP'.
  • The song apparently "impacted" radio, but with the label not being supportive of the release was it really "pushed"? It is Gaga's only "single" not to chart in the UK Airplay Top 100, even 'Anything Goes' managed to chart at #35. Likewise in the US it was only spun when the ARTPOP film was released.
  • The Remixes EP was done by a bunch of idontknowha djs and producers, Gaga's remixes are always done by well-known djs, again indicating the label was not supportive of the release.
  • The song was "released" at the time where after the DWUW fiasco, Gaga had no manager/was in the process of aligning herself with a new manager.

+Quote Post
post Nov 10 2014, 04:19 AM
Post #9
tidal certified artist

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Nov 10 2014, 06:55 AM
Post #10
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PixieLott @ Nov 10 2014, 01:12 AM) *

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 10 2014, 07:03 AM
Post #11
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(PixieLott @ Nov 10 2014, 03:12 AM) *

the f*** is she doing with his nose though

I find that deeply disturbing

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 10 2014, 07:12 AM
Post #12
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Kath ♡ @ Nov 10 2014, 04:14 AM) *
'G.U.Y.' was a buzz single tho~
  • Gaga paid for the music video herself indicating that her label weren't supportive of the release.
  • The music video wasn't solely for 'G.U.Y.' but for 'ARTPOP', 'Venus' and 'MANiCURE' too, indicating that it's main purpose was to promote the album hence it being dubbed an ARTPOP film.
  • Gaga did no live promo or interviews for the song and when she was on Jimmy Kimmel, she sang 'ARTPOP'.
  • The song apparently "impacted" radio, but with the label not being supportive of the release was it really "pushed"? It is Gaga's only "single" not to chart in the UK Airplay Top 100, even 'Anything Goes' managed to chart at #35. Likewise in the US it was only spun when the ARTPOP film was released.
  • The Remixes EP was done by a bunch of idontknowha djs and producers, Gaga's remixes are always done by well-known djs, again indicating the label was not supportive of the release.
  • The song was "released" at the time where after the DWUW fiasco, Gaga had no manager/was in the process of aligning herself with a new manager.

And yet when the video premiered, it was a sure fire no.1 to everyone in the Gaga forum. Our faves couldn't have ever.

+Quote Post
jjake
post Nov 10 2014, 07:25 AM
Post #13
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

i must say i'm no great gaga fan but even i have found it laborious how people go on about gaga flatlining. artists evolve over time and that isn't necessarily on an upwards sales trajectory. gaga found worldwide success and has engineered her fanbase and her character and a very powerful live show around that (quite why she insists on edm tho is beyond me). just because she had x amount of sales for her first album, to be judged a success with her second she must sell more? it's unrealistic and impossible to match the heights of her first record. definitely an anomaly in the last 20 years in terms of an artist breaking through so quickly and to such a large extent, the only way from there is down tbh.

+Quote Post
jjake
post Nov 10 2014, 07:27 AM
Post #14

as for lana she basically released a rough, less listenable version of her debut, why bother making the effort when you can hear it done better on the first album

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 10 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #15
ya ya ya i am lorde

QUOTE(░░░░ @ Nov 10 2014, 10:27 AM) *
as for lana she basically released a rough, less listenable version of her debut, why bother making the effort when you can hear it done better on the first album

I tried getting past track 2 on Ultraviolence but to no avail. sad.gif

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Nov 10 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #16
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PixieLott @ Nov 10 2014, 12:04 AM) *
Foxes - She had an incredible amount of Radio 1 airplay behind her and only 'Let Go For Tonight' has done reasonably well.

SHAT AHP LEE mad.gif

Jessie Ware has had two of the biggest hits of her career so far and her album is already out of the top 75 after three weeks, but then again there was the mercury prize buzz last year and her campaign has just started.

I guess Robin Thicke considering he was having a top 10 album just last year and he ended up tanking this year with his follow-up.

This post has been edited by Nelly. S: Nov 10 2014, 07:40 AM

+Quote Post
post Nov 10 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #17
tidal certified artist

QUOTE(░░░░ @ Nov 10 2014, 09:25 AM) *
i must say i'm no great gaga fan but even i have found it laborious how people go on about gaga flatlining. artists evolve over time and that isn't necessarily on an upwards sales trajectory. gaga found worldwide success and has engineered her fanbase and her character and a very powerful live show around that (quite why she insists on edm tho is beyond me). just because she had x amount of sales for her first album, to be judged a success with her second she must sell more? it's unrealistic and impossible to match the heights of her first record. definitely an anomaly in the last 20 years in terms of an artist breaking through so quickly and to such a large extent, the only way from there is down tbh.

Thank you

Please can all the ignorance re: this topic, now STAHP

Drag Gaga again, make jokes or call her flop and I will come strangle you in your sleep

That is all~

+Quote Post
jjake
post Nov 10 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(BLUE @ Nov 10 2014, 07:35 AM) *
I tried getting past track 2 on Ultraviolence but to no avail. sad.gif

her sound and aesthetic is enhanced by strong melodies and catchy hooks, take that away and you're left with utter self-indulgence

jessie j stands out as the obvious flop, didn't her most recent album sell like 6,000 copies in its first week? though when you release a lead single where two bigger stars form the main selling point it was bound to be a bust

+Quote Post
post Nov 10 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #19
tidal certified artist

At the end of the day, you can say Gaga is underperforming all you like because frankly no artist would be capable of overperforming a debut era as massive as hers was. It was a given she was going to underperform

But LET'S DISCUSS WHAT REAL SUCCESS is, are these artists that are "performing" well at the top of the charts these days selling out arenas all over the world night after night? Are they #1 on the Guiness World Records Pop Index year after year? When will they be the only female artist to have 3 #1s on the Billboard 200 this decade? Can they afford taking risks like promoting a jazz album made up entirely of cover versions with a 500 year old man?

You can joke about ARTPOP all you like but the fact stands that the album has been selling out live shows in arenas all over the world to this day.

This was from Barcelona just last night:

Please tell me when these artists that are "performing well" on the charts at the moment are capable of this

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 10 2014, 08:05 AM
Post #20
ya ya ya i am lorde

calm down bbgurl <3 artflop was just a bad album overall, it didn't underperform xx

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 03:41 AM