BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dapper Laughs & Sexism
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Nov 12 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So whether people have heard or not, recently the "lad" character of Dapper Laughs has been crucified in the press.

Now I'm sure the interviewer asks these questions on purpose, and it's probably not a view shared by her. But this character is essentially Ladbible/Unibible personified. While I think some of things the character says are in bad taste, the extent to which this has blown up is madness. Reminds me similarity of the argument, video games incite mass violence!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #2
DROTTNING!
Group: Members
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah but the difference is that there's very little causal proof that video games cause mass violence. The language rapists use to justify their actions is the exact same language used by lads mags (which are dying off thankfully), LadBible etc. There's basically no chance that the statements put out there don't have some level of influence over these men, because it normalises the behaviour and makes them think it's alright - that if a woman's wearing a short skirt then it's fine, that if she's out of it then it's fine, that if she said yes earlier but said no later then it's fine to carry on. A lot of men might read things like Lad Bible saying things like 'and even if she says no, remember that only 2% of rape cases end in conviction' and take it as a joke. There's also a sizeable minority that laugh but take something very different away from it.

And saying that someone who complains about the show is 'gagging for a rape' is more than bad taste, it's fucking abhorrent. More than that though, he's just an utter cunt about gays and homeless people. There's banter and then there's just punching down. I find it funny that some people criticise complaints about Dapper Laughs by saying they're humourless - if anything, I think it's more an indictment of someone's sense of humour that they find something so utterly unoriginal and witless funny. It's literally the same thing you've probably heard every single weekend you've been out. I don't know if that's more an indictment of how dreadful a comedian he is, or more an indictment of society.

+Quote Post
April
post Nov 12 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #3
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

Some of the stuff is in very poor taste, and it does make me angry.

But on the whole people just need to learn when it's a joke. Are people seriously saying that someone will watch that and then think it's ok to do the same? Seriously? It's quite clearly a joke / parody.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #4
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(April @ Nov 12 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Are people seriously saying that someone will watch that and then think it's ok to do the same? Seriously? It's quite clearly a joke / parody.

You're overestimating the intelligence and restraint threshold of some lads when they want to get their end off.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Nov 12 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #5
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

I find that the 'irony defense' is always a pretty weak case because (and there are studies out there that back this up) not everybody who hears these jokes receives it in the same way that it was intended.

Although personally the most glaring thing about all of this is that those jokes just aren't remotely funny.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 12 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #6
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Delicate area, really. I never really found any of his stuff particularly funny but one thing I think was that he was doing it all to push boundaries and see who'd take him seriously, and I'm sure lots of his audience would have just laughed off the jokes as nothing more than that.

In some ways Unilad and theladbible are worse because while the pictures aren't too bad, I think they have a wider reach and lots of the comments on them seem to be from people who are deadly serious about being sexist, and that's the part of Dapper Laughs' audience to whom reinforcing this through 'jokes' is going to be harmful. Some aren't, some are joking along but it's still a very risky area to go full sarcasm on because people feel strongly about it and it can definitely become harmful if mongs begin to believe it. So it is probably good he's retiring as, if nothing else, continuing that for much longer would be very stale and if it's condoning rape culture at all, even unintentionally, then it's not worth the 'humour'.

Irony is so much better when it's kept among people who understand how to receive irony. And when it doesn't involve joking about a subject that is unfortunately a real problem still.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 12 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #7
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Looks like he's going to be changing his name to Dapper Sulks...

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #8
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

As an interesting contrast, I wonder how he'd react if he were in a room of muscled gay men deadpanning about how much they'd like to rape him.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Nov 12 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #9
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 12 2014, 06:20 PM) *
Yeah but the difference is that there's very little causal proof that video games cause mass violence. The language rapists use to justify their actions is the exact same language used by lads mags (which are dying off thankfully), LadBible etc. There's basically no chance that the statements put out there don't have some level of influence over these men, because it normalises the behaviour and makes them think it's alright - that if a woman's wearing a short skirt then it's fine, that if she's out of it then it's fine, that if she said yes earlier but said no later then it's fine to carry on. A lot of men might read things like Lad Bible saying things like 'and even if she says no, remember that only 2% of rape cases end in conviction' and take it as a joke. There's also a sizeable minority that laugh but take something very different away from it.

And saying that someone who complains about the show is 'gagging for a rape' is more than bad taste, it's fucking abhorrent. More than that though, he's just an utter cunt about gays and homeless people. There's banter and then there's just punching down. I find it funny that some people criticise complaints about Dapper Laughs by saying they're humourless - if anything, I think it's more an indictment of someone's sense of humour that they find something so utterly unoriginal and witless funny. It's literally the same thing you've probably heard every single weekend you've been out. I don't know if that's more an indictment of how dreadful a comedian he is, or more an indictment of society.

The 'jokes' quoted in that particular video are of the very extreme variety though. Those rape jokes were horrid.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #10
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

And yet you'll still find legions of people queuing up to defend them, or in a separate argument claiming 'feminism has gone too far'...

+Quote Post
jjake
post Nov 12 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #11
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 12 2014, 06:33 PM) *
As an interesting contrast, I wonder how he'd react if he were in a room of muscled gay men deadpanning about how much they'd like to rape him.

welcome to my world hun when i accidentally rock up to a g party~

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 12 2014, 06:54 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 12 2014, 06:33 PM) *

Let's not put those horrible thoughts into our heads wink.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #13
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(hotchoc26 @ Nov 12 2014, 07:54 PM) *
Let's not put those horrible thoughts into our heads wink.gif

Why? He seems just as happy to do it for women. I doubt he'd be as casual as he's insisting everyone else should be about it if the tables were turned.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 12 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 12 2014, 06:59 PM) *
Why? He seems just as happy to do it for women. I doubt he'd be as casual as he's insisting everyone else should be about it if the tables were turned.

Ugh. rolleyes.gif

Dapper Laughs & Sexism

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 12 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #15
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

That's the first time I've endured that "comedian's" output. Now I feel very sad inside.

The problem now is that now he's received so much press attention, the next thing he does is going to be massive. I know that ITV2 cancelled his series and that he's retired the "character", but it won't be too long before some other network picks him up. As you can imagine, I for one won't be watching.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 12 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Not to do with the focus of the topic, but I thought Dapper Laughs was actually him and not a character. Obviously I could guess the name was fake but I thought it was his personality etc. and that he was just someone who posted Vines. Had no idea his real persona was a comedian. He should keep the quiff and the beard, he looks odd without.

I've found his Vines quite funny, they're certainly not as bad as the 'jokes' that have come to light now, they've just been typical lad sayings and jokes. Sexist yes, but all light-hearted.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #17
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(hotchoc26 @ Nov 12 2014, 08:05 PM) *
Ugh. rolleyes.gif

Dapper Laughs & Sexism

I'm not quite sure what you're not getting here, or why you're trying to patronise me. He seems to think it's okay to do it to women. I am saying he probably wouldn't be okay with it if it were done to him. Hence imparting the lesson that it isn't an okay thing to do full stop.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 12 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #18
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 12 2014, 08:16 PM) *
Not to do with the focus of the topic, but I thought Dapper Laughs was actually him and not a character. Obviously I could guess the name was fake but I thought it was his personality etc. and that he was just someone who posted Vines. Had no idea his real persona was a comedian. He should keep the quiff and the beard, he looks odd without.

Like hell was it a character! He knows he's been backed into a corner, so he's getting out of it in the way that saves his embarrassment the most.

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 12 2014, 08:16 PM) *
I've found his Vines quite funny, they're certainly not as bad as the 'jokes' that have come to light now, they've just been typical lad sayings and jokes. Sexist yes, but all light-hearted.

Yes, god knows there isn't enough sexism about as it is. We simply MUST have some in light-hearted form!

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 12 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 12 2014, 06:20 PM) *
Yeah but the difference is that there's very little causal proof that video games cause mass violence.

Indeed, there isn't, quite the opposite in fact!

As for the topic at hand, I don't really get why he was such a phenomenon, I'm sure pretty much everyone who's been to uni has met a friend like him and tried his 'banter' before, it's not really the most original concept, I'm sure there's a lot of similar one liners can be found somewhere on the internet? *shrugs*, I don't have a problem with it as much as it's not the sort of thing I find funny (unless it's like Jay from the Inbetweeners kink.gif), I feel it is sexist but 'banter' like this is so common these days that I guess some don't take it as srsly as they would in the past.

and yeah, those rape comments were disgusting so I can't say I'm gutted by that news (I did find Proper Moist quite funny as a stand alone single admittedly)

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 12 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 12 2014, 07:24 PM) *
Yes, god knows there isn't enough sexism about as it is. We simply MUST have some in light-hearted form!

Oh don't be such a drama queen. Everyone has different types of humour and I can find it in some of the Vines he posts, which are absolutely not as extreme as the jokes that Dapper's been called up on recently. It doesn't make me a sexist person, I know the difference between jokes and reality, I would only ever repeat anything to someone I knew could see the humour in it too. It is just what I class as 'banter' and I'm perfectly fine with any of my female friends saying a slightly sexist joke about males, as long as it is just that: a joke.

If you see me as a bad person for this then so be it. But I think somewhat tasteless jokes are fine as long as you are in the company of people who won't take offense from it and can accept and appreciate it when someone doesn't share the same humour.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 10:23 PM