BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ched Evans
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Nov 13 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So I've placed this in the Lounge, and not the Sports forum, because every man, woman, dog, tree and lead seems to have their own opinion on this.

I'm sure most of you know the background, if not, then a quick Google would give you a lot of information.

Is it right Ched Evans should be allowed to play football again after raping a woman? Tonight Jessica Ennis, has announced she will ask for her name to be taken down off a sponsored stand if Evans is re-signed. However, Evans has served his sentence, so in the eyes of the law he has committed the service for his crime, so why should be not be allowed to seek reemployment? Certainly an interesting topic that splits opinion...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 13 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #2
MAKE ME (LA LA LA)
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

I think my issue with him is not so much that someone who's done that should never be allowed to play football again (after all, I do broadly believe in forgiveness if someone's learned from their wrongdoings), and more that he's shown absolutely zero remorse for his crime despite admitting to everything he was convicted of, and still refuses to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with what he did. All that and he's being welcomed back with open arms no questions asked? Fuck that.

What's even worse is the absolutely vile chants some Sheffield Utd supporters have started coming out with in support of him. 'He does what he wants, he does what he wants, Chedwyn Evans, he does what he wants...' manson.gif manson.gif manson.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Nov 13 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #3
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 13 2014, 10:53 PM) *
I think my issue with him is not so much that someone who's done that should never be allowed to play football again (after all, I do broadly believe in forgiveness if someone's learned from their wrongdoings), and more that he's shown absolutely zero remorse for his crime despite admitting to everything he was convicted of, and still refuses to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with what he did. All that and he's being welcomed back with open arms no questions asked? Fuck that.

What's even worse is the absolutely vile chants some Sheffield Utd supporters have started coming out with in support of him. 'He does what he wants, he does what he wants, Chedwyn Evans, he does what he wants...' manson.gif manson.gif manson.gif

That's actually pretty much my view point too. He's shown no remorse, not even apologised. I understand he had sex with the girl, and he has admitted this but he doesn't believe he raped her. It's a very fine line, and it gets even further complicated when his friend was acquitted but he wasn't. That said he should really have come out with an apology. There was never this much publicity when Lee Hughes/Marlon King/Luke McCormick were released from jail.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 13 2014, 11:30 PM
Post #4
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

As vile as his actions / attitude are, I don't really see what relevance it has to football. He's been punished for what he did and he'll have to live with his injured reputation for the rest of his life now anyway, he shouldn't be punished further by being banned from his job for no real reason. It's not illegal to be a dickhead.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 13 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

There are two big problems with this case. First, he continues to deny being a rapist and is attempting to have his conviction overturned. While he is attempting to do that he can hardly apologise at that would be seen as an admission of guilt.

Second, I would normally take the line that he has served his sentence and should be allowed to seek employment. However, as a footballer he would be earning a lot more than most people and would b idolised by some fans. That would obviously be seen as unacceptable by many people for as long as he remains a convicted rapist.

If he does resume his career - whether at Sheffield Utd or elsewhere - part of his contract should state that replica shirts with his name on the back will not be sold and he should not gain anything from image rights etc.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Nov 13 2014, 11:37 PM
Post #6
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

He's served his time, but no club is obliged to take him on. If he were to resign for Sheffield United it would completely belittle the whole justice process and the idea that footballers and clubs should be socially responsible.

It's not like his career would be completely ruined, anyway. I don't doubt that there'll be some struggling League Two manager with no morals who would offer him a contract.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 13 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I think rape is both inexcusable and unforgivable, but as much as it pains me to admit and as much as personally I don't agree with it, I do see the point made in this thread that if he's served his sentence then he shouldn't be punished further for it by not being re-signed. But that said, who on earth would WANT to sign a rapist to their team? And who would want to play on his team?

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Nov 13 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #8
f*** Donald Trump.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 67

I am not educated on his personal character. But, I will say... if you serve out the punishment given to you, shouldn't you go back into the real world with a clean slate. Is that ACTUALLY possible?

Another discussion at hand. Also, the name "Ched", infuriates me.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 13 2014, 11:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 13 2014, 11:38 PM) *
But that said, who on earth would WANT to sign a rapist to their team? And who would want to play on his team?

People who believe his plea of innocence I presume. (Although even so, the negative publicity that would come from it would still not be worth it). I just think if any team does want to take that risk for whatever reason they should be allowed to.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 13 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #10
MAKE ME (LA LA LA)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE({ bré } @ Nov 14 2014, 12:42 AM) *
People who believe his plea of innocence I presume.

He admits that he did what he did. He doesn't seem to understand that just because he doesn't agree that what he did is defined as rape doesn't mean it isn't seen in the eyes of the law as rape. I think it's pretty disgusting if a big football club will accept that as a valid argument...

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 13 2014, 11:49 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE({ bré } @ Nov 13 2014, 11:42 PM) *
People who believe his plea of innocence I presume. (Although even so, the negative publicity that would come from it would still not be worth it). I just think if any team does want to take that risk for whatever reason they should be allowed to.

True, but like you say it would pretty much ruin the club and obviously there will be lots of people who are part of the club who would strongly object to having him back on. No matter how good a footballer he may have been or how much they support the idea he's served his time, I wouldn't have thought they'd think it was worth it. I suppose they do have to have the right to sign him back on if they want.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 14 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #12
Commentless 7
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not admittedly overly educated on this particular case, but I feel in circumstances like this, if someone like that would go straight back into football and thus getting paid a ridiculous amount of money, how long would it take before he did the same thing again? Particularly if he's not even particularly sorry about what he's done which kinda makes it worse, I don't think he should be banned for life because, as others have said, he's served his time but I feel a lengthly ban would be necessary.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Nov 14 2014, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 14 2014, 12:05 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 13 2014, 11:48 PM) *
He admits that he did what he did. He doesn't seem to understand that just because he doesn't agree that what he did is defined as rape doesn't mean it isn't seen in the eyes of the law as rape. I think it's pretty disgusting if a big football club will accept that as a valid argument...

I don't disagree with you and I'm certainly not condoning people accepting his argument, it's just that there are bound to be some people in reality who do.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Nov 14 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #14
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 13 2014, 11:38 PM) *
I think rape is both inexcusable and unforgivable, but as much as it pains me to admit and as much as personally I don't agree with it, I do see the point made in this thread that if he's served his sentence then he shouldn't be punished further for it by not being re-signed. But that said, who on earth would WANT to sign a rapist to their team? And who would want to play on his team?

At the time this all blew up, he was a striker in great form. Probably would be playing in the Premier League for one of the lower level clubs had this not happened. Simple fact is strikers, score goals, and goals win matches. Strikers tend to be the players idolised by the fans which makes it a risky case. However fans' love of the club generally comes ahead of any one player. Just an odd case for Sheffield United, because there's so much negative PR and uproar at the moment, but if he signed and helped them back up the leagues then it would be majorly beneficial to the club, and mark my words, at some point a club WILL sign him.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Nov 14 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

If he played when there was a Sheffield Derby.........

Some club will sign him possibly one day.

Imagine if he played for Wales again......

He shouldn't be allowed to play if he can't even say sorry or admit to what he had done.

+Quote Post
leewallace
post Nov 14 2014, 11:35 AM
Post #16
🙄
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(Rooney @ Nov 13 2014, 11:24 PM) *
That's actually pretty much my view point too. He's shown no remorse, not even apologised. I understand he had sex with the girl, and he has admitted this but he doesn't believe he raped her. It's a very fine line, and it gets even further complicated when his friend was acquitted but he wasn't. That said he should really have come out with an apology. There was never this much publicity when Lee Hughes/Marlon King/Luke McCormick were released from jail.

Luke McCormick was much worse imo. I think he's served his time and should be allowed back in Football. I know he's in the wrong for not apologising but if he believes he never raped her then he might feel aggrieved to apologise.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Nov 14 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

I find this very difficult. So this probably won't be very eloquent.

The crime he was convicted of is obviously very serious, but isn't British law/society built on if you do a crime, you are punished with doing the time. However after that you are "welcomed" back into society. Able to seek employment in whatever field you may be qualified in (obviously it's different for crimes involving children.)

People are saying he should apologize for his crime, something which he still denies to this day. If you hadn't done something would you say you were sorry for doing it. I know I wouldn't.

Without trying to "$l*t-shame" the girl in this case, but Ched Evans was not the first man she had accused of rape, I believe it he was the third man she had accused of rape. If you had previously been raped would you put yourself in that sort of position again?

I feel really torn on this, obviously if he did it then he was rightfully punished, but what now? Do all ex-convicts just never work again? Do we have them on the doll forever?

+Quote Post
THEO.
post Nov 14 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #18
Surfboard.
Member No.: 8,661

If a teacher is sentenced for rape, they will never teach again. I don't see why anyone from any profession should be seen differently, regardless of 'celebrity' status or age of victim.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 14 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #19
MAKE ME (LA LA LA)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Martyn @ Nov 14 2014, 08:25 PM) *
People are saying he should apologize for his crime, something which he still denies to this day. If you hadn't done something would you say you were sorry for doing it. I know I wouldn't.

Yeah but it isn't a case of him denying that he did what he did - he just doesn't think it should be defined as rape. It is defined as rape. It's not exactly a defense to say 'Well yeah I punched him but I don't think it should count as assault'.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 14 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 14 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Yeah but it isn't a case of him denying that he did what he did - he just doesn't think it should be defined as rape. It is defined as rape. It's not exactly a defense to say 'Well yeah I punched him but I don't think it should count as assault'.

Do you know why his friend was acquitted? The girl must have been just as drunk when she had sex with him so the same argument about being unable to give consent should have applied to him as well. Obviously the jury will not have given their reasons but was there anything in the friend's defence case that wasn't in Evans' case?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2016 - 07:17 PM