BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Will The Saturdays ever manage chart success again?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-0-0
post Nov 20 2014, 01:47 AM
Post #1
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
In December 2012 things eventually seemed to be looking up for The Saturdays, management landed them a huge E! show in America with 'What About Us' peaking at #102 on iTunes and remaining within the top 1,500 for over a month. 'What About Us' also managed to pass over 1 million views in one day which broke all previous records with 'What About Us' managing over 27 million views in total.

Typical Saturdays decided to leave America once 'What About Us' was blowing up and return to the United Kingdom to debut 'What About Us' with the EP managing to remain stable and climbing to the #20 within release. 'What About Us' debuted at number one with 114,000 sales encouraging their fandom that things could be on the 'up' for The Saturdays and we could get a couple of successful campaigns. 'What About Us' brought The Saturdays airplay to a peak before Gentlemen was introduced which killed any possible momentum The Saturdays had ending their top 10 streak from post singles. 'Disco Love' managed to do fairly well with 'Living For The Weekend' bombing down the charts despite managing a peak at #10.

'Not Giving Up' was released with limited radio support then 'What Are You Waiting For' was released which had even limited airplay and peaking at #38 in the charts and spending one week within the top 100 and two weeks in the top 200.

Do you think The Saturdays will be able to have another successful single?

I don't think they will come back with a full on single as 'What Are You Waiting For?' promo showed how half arsed they were with the campaign which could have been successful. I think the only hope they have of having any small relative single is if they went all out for a high profile rapper, good video and a pop song. I wont hold my breath.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post Nov 20 2014, 08:45 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Sadly not.

I do think they'll stay together and do the odd bits and bobs but I think a top 20 single is out of the question now. Their momentum was dying off, and their management never did enough to pick it up again at a crucial time. No promo in the run up to their greatest hits as they all went on holiday and came back fro half a week of minimal promo. But their main issue is airplay, and if the radios have given up on them, there is little they can do now.

But I think their time is passed now and there isn't much more they can do for chart success. They're all liked individually as celebrities though.

They really did have a long stretch of success though and a 'good run'. It's just a shame they never quite managed that next level of notability they almost managed a couple of times, particularly after 'What About Us'.

This post has been edited by Joe.: Nov 20 2014, 08:46 AM

+Quote this post
star.shine
post Nov 20 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon
swimming in the stars
User: 11,697
I'd think not, especially now that streaming is factored in; they'd need to build a lot of momentum before a release and let's be real the majority of their release impacted on release date.

+Quote this post
goldfish
post Nov 20 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,424
no because they prefer going on holiday than making their way around radio stations to promote

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 20 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059
Honestly, no.

It's a shame because they never really did break out. sad.gif After seven years they should be at a point in their career where they are selling out arenas or having European success or have some Gold/Platinum singles under their belt, but they're still doing the morning TV shows and struggling to sell out theatres. 'What About Us' basically kickstarted their career again after numerous flops and honestly, late 2012/early 2013 was probably the most exciting time to be a Saturdays fan. They had an E! reality show, were performing on Jay Leno and Today Show, they were on the verge of cracking the US iTunes top 100, they were Vevo Lift Artists and all over YouTube, they had so much buzz around them and yet six months later their career was dead again. It saddens me to read the reactions on Popjustice when the girls got to #1. We all had dreams that they would start to get huge airplay, get bigger TV performances, break out across Europe and start to be treated as a serious act in the UK and none of it happened.

I think the best thing we can hope for is some sort of McFly type career from here on. Small but loyal fanbase act, the occasional minor hit single and the small tours. Unless they collaborate with a DJ, get another reality show, try Europe/America again or some money is invested into them again (radio plugger, bigger music videos, bigger promo slots, YouTube and iTunes ads etc) then I think they're done.

At least we got the #1 single and the American fun, though. Imagine they released '30 Days', took a break and then returned with 'Gentleman'???? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 20 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I'm not sure whether they will actually come back with anything else now. Their greatest hits hasn't sold well and neither have the last two studio albums. Aside from "what about us" and the mediocre success of "disco love", they haven't had a lot of success recently. Their management seem to pick the wrong singles and radio don't seem to be supporting them anymore. Its a shame cos they have done some great pop songs. Most bands have an average shelf life of 3-5 years and a greatest hits release is often the way to end the era.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: Nov 20 2014, 12:55 PM

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 20 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thing is, The Saturdays are sort of unique compared to other pop bands. They're one of the few bands where there's absolutely no fueding/bitching at all (unlike Sugababes, Girls Aloud, The Wanted, Destiny's Child, Pussycat Dolls, Spice Girls) so they won't split because of that, and also unlike groups like 5ive, HearSay, S Club 7, Steps, JLS etc they never debuted with tons of #1's and then rapidly lost public interest.

The Sats have kinda plodded along with average/mediocre success for years so when they flop, it's no big deal or shock and it's not like "OMG they aren't popular any more they should be dropped!!.

Plus they're all likeable, becoming well known as individual celebrities, have a clean reputation, have a very loose management who pretty much let them do what they want and they cover all costs with sponsors and endorsements.

They can take as long as they want before getting back together. They could take time out and build up their profiles with solo careers/reality TV etc and hopefully generate more interest when they return, or they could try out a few things and discover there's no interest in them as individuals and get back with the Sats quicker. A break could be a really good thing for them, who knows.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 20 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I think their days of smashing the chart are over - very few pop acts can regain relevance after losing it. I think they've surpassed the expectations of many already tbh!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Nov 20 2014, 01:54 PM
Post #9
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Nov 20 2014, 01:36 PM) *
Thing is, The Saturdays are sort of unique compared to other pop bands. They're one of the few bands where there's absolutely no fueding/bitching at all (unlike Sugababes, Girls Aloud, The Wanted, Destiny's Child, Pussycat Dolls, Spice Girls) so they won't split because of that, and also unlike groups like 5ive, HearSay, S Club 7, Steps, JLS etc they never debuted with tons of #1's and then rapidly lost public interest.

The Sats have kinda plodded along with average/mediocre success for years so when they flop, it's no big deal or shock and it's not like "OMG they aren't popular any more they should be dropped!!.

Plus they're all likeable, becoming well known as individual celebrities, have a clean reputation, have a very loose management who pretty much let them do what they want and they cover all costs with sponsors and endorsements.

They can take as long as they want before getting back together. They could take time out and build up their profiles with solo careers/reality TV etc and hopefully generate more interest when they return, or they could try out a few things and discover there's no interest in them as individuals and get back with the Sats quicker. A break could be a really good thing for them, who knows.

Shadow put it perfectly wub.gif

They have always just been kinda there. I think the reason they trot along is because the public can genuinely see that they do get on and I can see them doing a McFly / Take That

+Quote this post
post Nov 20 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
if ONLY they could sell out Stadiums like Take That! (Or arenas like Mcfly...)

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post Nov 20 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #11
Group icon
get me started, hot like fire
User: 17,262
Depends if Capital, Heat and The Hits are still up for playing them if they comeback with a great single (I'd put all my chances at once and rent a rapper as well, If I were them.) Only BBC Radio 1 seems to have abandon them, but it's not entirely impossible to have a hit without their support.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 20 2014, 02:25 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Hurricane @ Nov 20 2014, 02:18 PM) *
Depends if Capital, Heat and The Hits are still up for playing them if they comeback with a great single (I'd put all my chances at once and rent a rapper as well, If I were them.) Only BBC Radio 1 seems to have abandon them, but it's not entirely impossible to have a hit without their support.

The situation with Radio 1 is so weird. They hammered Disco Love pretty much daily for months (even on Christmas Day and New Year), had the girls on for interviews a ton of times, had Mollie/Vanessa wind up one of the staff members, had 'Saturdays Takeover' day where they played 5 singles, Frankie has been on a few times for Strictly and I'm sure Mollie/Rochelle have done Call or Delete there as well. I'm sure Radio 1 premiered What Are You Waiting For? and then never played it again, even with all of that. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by shadow2009: Nov 20 2014, 02:29 PM

+Quote this post
post Nov 20 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Heat and the Hits don't really seem to have any impact. They were playing Not Giving Up and What Are You Waiting For numerous times a day. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Joe.: Nov 20 2014, 02:30 PM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Nov 20 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #14
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
Never again sad.gif

But looking back at the singles sales they look absolutely huge when compared to Neon Jungle (bar Braveheart) or any of the Little Mix post-album singles.

This post has been edited by Nelly. S: Nov 20 2014, 04:34 PM

+Quote this post
star.shine
post Nov 20 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
swimming in the stars
User: 11,697
QUOTE(Nelly. S @ Nov 20 2014, 05:34 PM) *
Never again sad.gif

But looking back at the singles sales they look absolutely huge when compared to Neon Jungle (bar Braveheart) or any of the Little Mix post-album singles.

And if you look at the chart runs of their earlier singles when sales were arguably lower than today's climate, they're pretty massive. Up could easily have passed 500,000 with that chart run today.

This post has been edited by ḇreakaway: Nov 20 2014, 06:05 PM

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post Nov 20 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #16
Group icon
get me started, hot like fire
User: 17,262
QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 20 2014, 02:29 PM) *
Heat and the Hits don't really seem to have any impact. They were playing Not Giving Up and What Are You Waiting For numerous times a day. sad.gif

I don't know, they managed a top 20 with Not Giving Up and that really poor airplay. If they could get 4-5 plays a day by Capital, they would probably get another top 10 (or 20 I guess).

The problem is...It seems like Capital might have abandonned them as well. However, I believe they are far more easier to get back than Radio 1.

Let me be clear, though. I'm talking about getting top 20s, possible top 10s again. But that's it. The potential success stops there. I can't see them selling 100k copies of a single anymore. Let's not even talk about albums...

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 20 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I don't know, they managed a top 20 with Not Giving Up and that really poor airplay. If they could get 4-5 plays a day by Capital, they would probably get another top 10 (or 20 I guess).

That was before streaming was taken into account, though. Who knows where it would have peaked with streaming introduced. What Are You Waiting For was #25 on the sales chart but was #38 officially, that's how badly they did with streams. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 20 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
No I don't, and furthermore I can't see them actually releasing anything again now.

+Quote this post
missingyou
post Nov 20 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,429
While yes they could manage to find a song that connects with enough people to gather minor radio support and tv play, another top 20 perhaps 10 wouldn't be out of the question depending on when it was released and against what. However, I think the question has moved on now to Will The Saturdays ever release anything again?
They are not big enough to have huge demand for a Reunion Tour in three years time, they struggle to sell a Theatre Tour! After the flop of TBR this year, I doubt a series would be on for The Sats to appear on, it seems like they will just quietly fade away now. They've even released their Greatest Hits, so there wouldn't even be any fanfare to look forward to if they did announce a split or anything.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Nov 20 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
But the thing is with The Sats (I know I repeat myself alot with this laugh.gif) is that there's no real reason not to continue. They've had tons of flops before and always bounced back. Plus, what's the alternative? It's not like they're millionaires. They're still all pretty young and need a career and something to do with their lives. They can try solo careers but if they all flop, what are they going to do? They need to make some sort of income and I doubt after years of being in a girl band they'll suddenly want to become stay at home mothers.

Being in The Saturdays is VERY comfortable for them. Share the recording process of an album (with pre-written songs) with four other girls for a while, do some photoshoots, get up early for a couple of morning TV shows, do some interviews and then that's it for them. Throw in the occasional music video shoot (basically a holiday/party for most of them), red carpet events, being in magazines, having a comfortable lifestyle of hotels and restaurants, the money and the "famous but not mobbed everywhere they go" recognition and there's no reason why I think any of them would want to permanently give up being in The Saturdays. There's no fueds or fights, and the only problem with them is their lack of sales/public interest but since they can pay back most of their outgoings with endorsements/sponsors/private gigs what are they losing out on?

Public interest and sales can always pick up at some point. Maybe they'll never have a hit again, or maybe they'll surprise us. Either way I think we just need to trust them and let them do their own thing for a while. They were going round in circles as a band and I'm sure once they've all had a little solo time and done things they've always wanted to do as individuals, then they'll re-unite in the future.

Do I sound deluded? laugh.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:48 PM