BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OCC: Olly Murs Top 10 Best Selling Songs
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
liamk97
post Nov 22 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Olly Murs’ Official Top 10 Best Selling Songs
22/11/2014
By Justin Myers

As Olly Murs returns with new album Never Been Better, we count down the former X Factor star’s big sellers.

Five years ago, one young man from Essex was about to have a Christmas that would change his life. Olly Mursmay not have won The X Factor back in 2009, but that runner-up prize was just the beginning of superstardom.

It was almost another year before we’d hear Olly’s first single Please Don’t Let Me Go, but four years, three hit albums and 11 Top 40 hits later, the magnificent Mr Murs is all set to release his all-new album Never Been Better. And with lead single Wrapped Up poised to debut in the Top 5 this week, what better way to celebrate than count down Olly’s bestselling singles so far? Fact: there is no better way. Nope.

Yep, we’re going all official and ranking Olly’s Top 10 songs – it’s the only Olly Murs chart you’ll ever need. Well, until he has more hits and we have to update it, of course.

First, the big five:

1. Dance With Me Tonight (2011)

Olly’s third chart-topper was the second single to be lifted from his sophomore album In Case You Didn’t Know and spent two weeks patiently waiting at Number 2 behind first Rihanna’s We Found Love and then The X Factor Finalists 2011 with Wishing On A Star.

Then, with not a hint of solidarity for the show that made him a star, the track took the top spot. While uncredited, Olly really pulled out the A-listers for that one, performing the track on his old stomping ground The X Factor with none other than the Muppets.

SALES: 760,000

CHART FACT: X Factor scored its third successive Official Singles Chart Number 1 in as many weeks when 2011 show winners Little Mix knocked Olly off the top with their version of Damien Rice’s Cannonball.

2. Troublemaker FT Flo Rida (2012)

We all know a troublemaker, don’t we? Someone who ruins it for everyone – and usually at Christmas or birthdays. No such worry for Monsieur Murs on this one, though – Troublemaker was a scallywag in name only, for Olly anyway.

Going straight in at the top and spending two weeks there – the only Olly Number 1 to do so – Troublemaker not only deposed One Direction’s Little Things, it blocked Girls Aloud’s comeback track Something New. Now that really is a bit of a Troublemaker. In its first week alone, it sold over 120,000 copies!

SALES: 730,000

CHART FACT: Troublemaker was a fourth Number 1 for Olly, and a fifth for his guest star Flo Rida. So far, it’s the most recent chart-topper for both of them. Watch this space, though…

3. Heart Skips A Beat FT Rizzle Kicks (2011)

The lead single from second album In Case You Didn’t Know, the catchy reggae-inspired track was a second Number 1 for Olly, and a first for Rizzle Kicks. Heart Skips A Beat sold over 100,000 copies in its first week on sale, beating nearest rival Calvin Harris’ Feel So Close by over 30,000 copies.

SALES: 680,000

CHART FACT: Example’s Stay Awake replaced Heart Skips A Beat at Number 1. For the US release, Rizzle Kicks were replaced by American rap duo Chiddy Bang. The song just missed out on being one of the Top 20 bestselling singles of 2011, edged out by… One Direction’s What Makes You Beautiful.

4. Dear Darlin’ (2013)

Dear Darlin’ secures a Top 5 placing despite not hitting the Number 1 spot in the Official Singles Chart. A relatively slow burner, the track took a month to reach its peak of Number 5. Spending six weeks in the Top 10 certainly helped its sales. Oh, that and it’s a pretty good tune of course!

SALES: 560,000

CHART FACT: Dear Darlin’ was nominated at the 2014 BRIT Awards for Best British Single, losing out to Rudimental’s Waiting All Night.

5. Please Don’t Let Me Go (2010)

Olly’s big debut got his career kicked off in fine style – going straight in at Number 1. It was the first of six Top 10s for Olly, who wasn’t sure whether the track was going to make it all the way to Number 1, as Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream was out the same week.

So sure was Olly that Katy would beat him to it, he agreed to pose naked in a magazine if Please Don’t Let Me Go scored the Number 1. Whether this influenced his fans, we couldn’t possibly say, but Please Don’t Let Me Go ended up beating Teenage Dream by over 40,000 copies. Oh, and Olly kept that promise!

SALES: 425,000

CHART FACT: Another X Factor star ended Olly’s run at Number 1 – Alexandra Burke’s Start Without You took up residency for the following two weeks.

Other notable entries

Olly’s second single Thinking Of Me just misses out on a Top 5 spot, selling over 400,000 copies. 2011 single Busy may have missed the Top 40, but it still makes the Official Top 10 best sellers – overtaking other tracks that charted higher. That’s the way the chart works – full of surprises!

Here’s the full 10:

SONG PEAK POSITION YEAR
1 DANCE WITH ME TONIGHT 1 2011
2 TROUBLEMAKER 1 2012
3 HEART SKIPS A BEAT 1 2011
4 DEAR DARLIN' 5 2013
5 PLEASE DON'T LET ME GO 1 2010
6 THINKING OF ME 4 2010
7 ARMY OF TWO 12 2013
8 OH MY GOODNESS 13 2012
9 BUSY 45 2011
10 HEART ON MY SLEEVE 20 2011

© 2014 The Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Nov 22 2014, 06:02 PM
Post #2
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I'm quite surprised 'Dance With Me Tonight' is his best seller.

'Heart Skips A Beat' still remains the best one for me.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 22 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

'Dear Darlin'' outselling two of his pre-album singles, very impressive! ('Wrapped Up' will probably fall short of 560k as well).

'Heart On My Sleeve' has been easily his most pointless single, not at all surprised to see it down there below even 'Busy'. EDIT: Actually I forgot about 'Hand On Heart' as it's not in the list here, but that did very well to even make the top 40 really being released a full year after the album. Still a very baffling decision to promote the re-release with a year old song but it still worked with the album getting another month in the top 5 and going comfortably over the million mark.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 22 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Nov 22 2014, 06:02 PM) *
I'm quite surprised 'Dance With Me Tonight' is his best seller.

'Heart Skips A Beat' still remains the best one for me.

Same, but then I'd be stuck to decide which should be his best seller. Olly really doesn't have a standout hit - I'd say that Top 3, possibly Top 4, are all equally known and liked etc.

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Nov 22 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #5
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

'Busy' really didn't deserve to flop so hard. sad.gif

'Dear Darlin'' sales are impressive for its #5 peak, would be nice to see it go Platinum. Probably my favourite song of his!

'Troublemaker' irritates me a bit nowadays, would prefer to see 'Heart Skips A Beat' ahead of it.

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Nov 22 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #6
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

Despite 'Please Don't Let Me Go' being a #1, I'm actually shocked 'Thinking Of Me' has sold less. It seemed like a bigger hit to me and I can't see either of them having trickle sold particularly spectacularly.

+Quote Post
SLlewellyn
post Nov 22 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 13,126
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Nov 22 2014, 06:07 PM) *
'Busy' really didn't deserve to flop so hard. sad.gif

'Dear Darlin'' sales are impressive for its #5 peak, would be nice to see it go Platinum. Probably my favourite song of his!

"Dear Darlin'" has already been certified as platinum!

Couldn't agree more with "Busy" though - it's one of my favourite tracks from Olly and was even featured in that M&S ad.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 22 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

In my head I worked out the top 5 right... APART from the top 2, I was dead certain that 'Troublemaker' was his biggest seller! (flop fan) Not that far off, though.

Definitely surprised at 'Busy' making it though, higher than 'Heart on My Sleeve' AND 'Right Place Right Time' + 'Hand on Heart'!

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Nov 22 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #9
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

"Dear Darlin'" was certified platinum just the other week - I saw on BPI Music's Twitter!

It makes me really proud to see all his stats and success laid out like this. My homeboy's done good! Here's to more success with this album!

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 22 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #10
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 22 2014, 06:58 PM) *
In my head I worked out the top 5 right... APART from the top 2, I was dead certain that 'Troublemaker' was his biggest seller! (flop fan) Not that far off, though.

Definitely surprised at 'Busy' making it though, higher than 'Heart on My Sleeve' AND 'Right Place Right Time' + 'Hand on Heart'!

Also completely forgot 'Right Place Right Time' was a single ph34r.gif Even more forgettable than 'Hand On Heart'! (Although a better song actually so I'm not sure why it slipped my memory). It peaked lower as well didn't it?

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Nov 23 2014, 05:17 AM
Post #11
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

Forgot that this wouldn't include streaming, that's what has edged Dear Darlin' over platinum!

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Nov 23 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #12
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

No surprise at the No1, DWMT is a wedding classic nowadays!

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Nov 23 2014, 11:25 AM
Post #13
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Yay for DWMY at the top, his best song to date wub.gif
Also great to see Busy in the top 10 despite never making the top 40. That's his other song I adore

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Nov 23 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #14
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

That singles discography is so good. ALL tracks sound so different, yet still very Olly! 'Busy' should have been a top 20 smash, but pleased it beat HOYH and HOMS! 'Right Place, Right Time' should also be top 10. What a tuneeeee!

Solid and surprisingly consistent sales for him. Same for his albums! Hope this album keeps up the trend for him! Easily my 2nd favourite male artist right now!

My top 3 Olly singles are:

01. Busy
02. RPRT
03. DWMT

I think!

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Nov 23 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

Not a massive fan of Olly Murs but I do like Troublemaker, Dear Carlin and my heart skips a beat. Wrapped up won't do that well. Its quite weak as a lead single.

+Quote Post
FleetSeb
post Nov 23 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 17,989
   No Gallery Pics

Dance With Me Tonight is 100% my fave Olly song so very pleased it's at the top!

People were so quick to write him off and I don't think anyone really expected him to get the success he has.

+Quote Post
BuzzLightyear
post Nov 24 2014, 01:01 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 15,330
   No Gallery Pics

Up with Demi will end up ahead of Wrapped up IMO, should do well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 08:23 AM