BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the STATE of buzzjack at the moment...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
jjake
post Nov 24 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #1
jenny from human resources
Group: Members
Member No.: 47

i thought it'd be a good idea to create a whole topic dedicated to this as i've been meaning to for a while...

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 24 2014, 02:30 PM) *
I think boot and immunes are fine as long as they don't happen like, every week. The Girls Aloud forum hasn't had a boot and immune at least since I was made mod earlier this year, and I can't recall one before then, so there's no harm in a boot and immune for each album now (not as if we're in a quiet patch either what with Cheryl's album).

why are they "fine" exactly? what positive purpose do they serve? if you want to establish the popularity of a song then why not start a poll or a discussion thread? both will be far more scientific (and interesting to read) than a series of numbers moving up and down and based around determined by the person (or persons) who are most active in the event. it's indicative of the state of buzzjack and this spam culture that has spread up over the last year.

as pavel points out these nonsensical "banter" threads that seem to have sprung up in the saturdays forum and the shoutbox. it's totally ruining the site and if i were a new member i would totally be put off by this ATRLification that seems to be occurring to the site; the simplifying and trivialising of communication to some bargain basement level that seems to celebrate post count as opposed to quality. you can see this clearly whenever the posters' chart is released on a sunday.

the shoutbox really is the worst though, are people trying to be ironic and funny because there comes a point where it perpetuates into reality. people really are just speaking NONSENSE and it's infecting really good posters. we all know that forums aren't what they were and in many respects are a dying platform but would you be encouraged to sign up on the basis of the posting quality generally about at the moment? the standard and quality of most posting is so low and seems to increasingly be revolving around buzzwords and descending into drivel and it's horrible to see in a site that you've loved for 8 years. right about now the quality of this site is the worst i can ever remember it. and if it carries on i can only see it catalysing the site's death.

some of you guys just LOOK at what you're saying and how it comes off.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 24 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I won't comment on boot & immunes for now but i will on this~

QUOTE(░░░░ @ Nov 24 2014, 07:51 PM) *
the shoutbox really is the worst though, are people trying to be ironic and funny because there comes a point where it perpetuates into reality. people really are just speaking NONSENSE and it's infecting really good posters. we all know that forums aren't what they were and in many respects are a dying platform but would you be encouraged to sign up on the basis of the posting quality generally about at the moment? the standard and quality of most posting is so low and seems to increasingly be revolving around buzzwords and descending into drivel and it's horrible to see in a site that you've loved for 8 years. right about now the quality of this site is the worst i can ever remember it. and if it carries on i can only see it catalysing the site's death.

The shoutbox has had a rejuvinated sense of LIFE recently. It was a barren wasteland previously, pretty much from when i started properly posting on here (some 2 years now i think). You might not find it funny but that does not make it NONSENSE or drivel or anything of the sort, because there are a load of posters that do enjoy it and it gets anyone and everyone involved. No one is scared away from posting in there, and from what i've seen over the past few weeks everyone is made to feel welcome in it. Is that not the sort of community we want?

In all fairness, there are very often times when others, particularly yourself, post all sorts of in jokes from years back that go miles over the majority's heads but no one passes it off as NONSENSE, more just you conversing with someone how you want to. I am not for a second saying you shouldn't continue with your in-jokes, but how is that any different? I've seen people that were very reserved on the site (Nelly. S) come alive in the shoutbox and that has transcended to him posting more around the site. A big positive and let's hope there are others too.

There are issues* i agree, but the shoutbox is the most innocent/post WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT place the site has so i really do not see it as any issue whatsoever. And i hope it continues to have the energy it's had for a time to come.

*Lee Wallace Appreciation Threads lol

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 24 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #3
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

why are they "fine" exactly? what positive purpose do they serve? if you want to establish the popularity of a song then why not start a poll or a discussion thread? both will be far more scientific (and interesting to read) than a series of numbers moving up and down and based around determined by the person (or persons) who are most active in the event. it's indicative of the state of buzzjack and this spam culture that has spread up over the last year.

The point of B&Is isn't to be interesting to read, not every forum game is there to be interesting to read. I know I enjoy B&Is cause they're just a bit of fun and a different method to the typical rating or Least Favourite polls that are always going on. It's not a case of spamming, at least, not the Girls Aloud forum ones. The Girls Aloud artist forum has been top 10 on the AF chart in most weeks since I got made moderator, we're not exactly struggling and using B&Is as a desperate method to increase post counts. I really don't see why so many people hate them this much, they're not fun to read, I agree, but they're fun to participate in for those who aren't on this "death to B&Is" bandwagon.

In all honesty, to me this just looks like a case of "I don't find it funny so I'm gonna moan about it", without wanting to cause any offence Jake. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the shoutbox recently, it's nothing serious and it's light relief, not restricted by topics or post counts. I know if I were a new member, I probably wouldn't have noticed the shoutbox before signing up anyway and if that alone put someone off, it's their loss not ours.

(and what Ball said)

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 24 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

The 'Shoutbox' is just a place for letting off some steam and having a bit of fun, I don't see any harm in it being full of nonsensical spam as it is fairly well hidden and not a lot of people read/look at it regularly.

I do agree however that boot & immunes are pretty pointless.

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Nov 24 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #5
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Nov 24 2014, 07:58 PM) *
I've seen people that were very reserved on the site (Nelly. S) come alive in the shoutbox and that has transcended to him posting more around the site. A big positive and let's hope there are others too.

Bal wub.gif

I think the shoutbox is fine, it's just suddenly gotten popular in the past month but it's a nice little community thing where people can shout rather than spam over Buzzjack! I feel like I've gotten to know some amazing people through it and so for that, it's a good thing happy.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 24 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #6
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I'd rather have members post in the shoutbox and allow them to let off steam than have it spread all over the main forum, plus, it's not like you can't just ignore it.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Nov 24 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #7
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Yes the shoutbox obviously isn't the hallmark of posting quality but I don't see why it should be when you have the rest of the forum, it's just a bit of fun! I don't see how its preventing new members signing up/posting either considering (1) you can't view it if you're not a member, (2) it's not an actual forum, it's hidden at the bottom.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 24 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #8
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(Regina @ Nov 24 2014, 08:06 PM) *
I'd rather have members post in the shoutbox and allow them to let off steam than have it spread all over the main forum, plus, it's not like you can't just ignore it.

Exactly. I just view it as the same as one of the artist forums I don't have enabled. It doesn't interest me, and isn't my type of humour so I just don't bother but obviously I have no qualms in others using it for whatever they decide.

If what went on in the shoutbox did go across the forum, I'd have a problem, but it's right at the bottom of the page so I just ignore it totally.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Nov 24 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #9
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 24 2014, 08:03 PM) *
The point of B&Is isn't to be interesting to read, not every forum game is there to be interesting to read. I know I enjoy B&Is cause they're just a bit of fun and a different method to the typical rating or Least Favourite polls that are always going on. It's not a case of spamming, at least, not the Girls Aloud forum ones. The Girls Aloud artist forum has been top 10 on the AF chart in most weeks since I got made moderator, we're not exactly struggling and using B&Is as a desperate method to increase post counts. I really don't see why so many people hate them this much, they're not fun to read, I agree, but they're fun to participate in for those who aren't on this "death to B&Is" bandwagon.

Basically all of this. It's the same thing with the One Direction forum - we've been in the AF top 10 since it was re-introduced this year (minus two weeks), so it's hardly as if B&I's are what's holding it together. I really don't understand why hosting B&I's is thought of as "scraping the barrel" or what have you though. It's like any other rates hosted on the forum (that, for the majority just being a list of numbers and song titles, ironically are never frowned upon). And something I've found in B&I's is that you actually get people posting that haven't done so as frequently before - maybe because they can actually just join in and have a bit of fun and avoid joy-kill threads like this one.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 24 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #10
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

jake gurl shoutbox is just stupid mindless fun. it is utterly nosensical but that's what I love about it personally. No one reads it properly anyway and it's hurting nobody.

The only time I find B&Is acceptable is when a forum needs an injection of activity. they serve as a buffer between releases and/or ideas for discussion, etc. Other than that they are rather pointless oops

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 24 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #11
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

*Shamless plug* Visit the Kylie Minogue and P!nk forums cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 24 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #12
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Surely spamming a shout box that's placed at the bottom of the site and is often overlooked especially by new posters is better than just spamming the entire forum?

Can't comment for B & Is since I rarely participate.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Nov 24 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #13
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

We have a shoutbox?

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 24 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #14
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I'm actually not sure what fun there is to be had in B&Is. Once you've done one, you've done them all in effect, the concept could be improved light-years, and all too often I find they break down into two people spamming out the thread. They honestly look to me like desperation to keep a dying AF alive, whether that's the intention or not.

The 'ATRL-ification' of the site is a little bit of a problem, it's cool when kept to the shoutbox and all (half my shouts are making light-hearted fun of it in some way) but I could really do without anti-intellectual overdosing on things like 'ha this and ha that', 'slay *insert artist/poster here*' and burning once funny catchphrases into the ground in lieu of actually getting some attempt at decent conversation.

Jake does have some points here guys, let's not just dismiss them out of hand, the place can be made nicer to read and we don't want to be chasing both old AND new posters off if we can help it just to appease one or two small cliques.

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Nov 24 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #15
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Member No.: 126

QUOTE(. nesu @ Nov 24 2014, 08:13 PM) *
The only time I find B&Is acceptable is when a forum needs an injection of activity. they serve as a buffer between releases and/or ideas for discussion, etc. Other than that they are rather pointless oops

They are pointless, I've started one for an old album in the MKS forum to keep people coming in, also to keep in competition with the GA forum which currently sit at #01 on the forum league. It's a little petty but I want the forum to do well and give reasons for people to keep coming in. As well as the one B&I thread, me and Silas I believe do plenty of thought provoking threads but unfortunaltey they aren't as successful. Not sure if it's because MKS/Sugababes are an old band now and younger posters aren't as interested but the B&I carried our forum last week.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
Post #16
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

If you don't like Boot & Immunes, don't participate in them.

If you don't like the standard of conversation in the shoutbox, don't use it.

It's that simple! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
Post #17
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not sure it's necessarily THAT much different to how it was 3-5 years ago, it's just a different group of people at the fore.

The main difference for me is that I just don't really understand it any longer.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 24 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Simon. @ Nov 24 2014, 08:22 PM) *
They are pointless, I've started one for an old album in the MKS forum to keep people coming in, also to keep in competition with the GA forum which currently sit at #01 on the forum league. It's a little petty but I want the forum to do well and give reasons for people to keep coming in. As well as the one B&I thread, me and Silas I believe do plenty of thought provoking threads but unfortunaltey they aren't as successful. Not sure if it's because MKS/Sugababes are an old band now and younger posters aren't as interested but the B&I carried our forum last week.

GA officially the leaders of the pack compared to Sugaflops heehee.gif Seriously though, this is surely good for the forum, some healthy competition. B&Is are hardly the best threads ever but they're just games, totally harmless, no?

Oh and Adam's post wins.

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Nov 24 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #19
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Member No.: 126

Is it really that different though? Years ago I used to constantly post rubbish in there I'm sure, is it because it's a new group of youths now and we're out of touch with them?. Only saying this because to be fair I feel the same as you. It does feel a little grim after being here 8 years and it does feel like the forum is in a state, maybe in 8 years the posters in the shoutbox will feel the same?

GA officially the leaders of the pack compared to Sugaflops Seriously though, this is surely good for the forum, some healthy competition. B&Is are hardly the best threads ever but they're just games, totally harmless, no?

Yes! I see this is brilliant I agree, some healthy competition between the forums is completely needed again. Being number 1 on the forum league needs to be a thing again and not just a fluke! B&I's it is a shame to have to result to them but at the same time if it's keeping people coming in then surely that's not a problem?

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 24 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Simon. @ Nov 24 2014, 08:28 PM) *
Yes! I see this is brilliant I agree, some healthy competition between the forums is completely needed again. Being number 1 on the forum league needs to be a thing again and not just a fluke! B&I's it is a shame to have to result to them but at the same time if it's keeping people coming in then surely that's not a problem?

I can't speak for Jay and Adam but I know for certain that #1 on the AF chart wasn't even on my mind when I agreed to the B&Is laugh.gif We've had a week at #1 this year without them (Crazy Stupid Love premiere week I believe) so it wasn't any kind of desperation. Competition is definitely good, as long as it doesn't resort to silly scraping the barrel threads like "Lee Wallace appreciation thread".

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 08:29 AM