BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why did people supprt Roman Polanski?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
red33
post Nov 26 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,290
   No Gallery Pics

How come when Polanski got arrested all kinds of people came out of the woodwork to support and defend him. They said that Polanski shouldn't have been arrested and should be set free. Some of them even claimed that Polanski was the victim who "suffered enough" . They made him out to be a martyr of an "ebil puritan" justice system that doesn't understand that grown men having sex with 13 year old girls is a-ok. They even called him a good person blink.gif

But how come nobody defended gary glitter, jonathan king, rolf harris or victor salva? why do people defend Polanski and yet demonize the likes of Gary Glitter? I don't understand it.
It's A-Okay to play Polanski films, but gary glitter music is all but banned from the radio.
I have never seen a pedophile get the same amount of support that Polanski has gotten.

Why is Polanski defied but glitter reviled?

This post has been edited by red33: Nov 26 2014, 04:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 26 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

well, he's still on the run from the US authorities, so maybe the question is more why do some countries feel it's acceptable to harbour convicted paedophiles. It's no excuse, but the USA has always had double-standards about it, depending on what is the age of consent. Jerry Lee Lewis married his 14-year-old cousin, R Kelly married 15-year-old Aaliyah. Radio 1 still happily plays R kelly tracks, but BBC4 has banned a DJ convicted of groping an adult (in the scale of things, a bit creepy and personal space invading, but certainly less-bad than, say making a superstar out of a convicted cold-blooded killer - Leslie Grantham anyone?). I'm more interested in the inconsistency of the media attitude towards these sorts of issues. Gutless and knee-jerk-ist as opposed to an actual logically thought-out policy, I would suggest....

Jonathan King still claims to be innocent, and in the cases where accusers make shitloads of cash out of it (as in his) and where there is no evidence and at the least it's one persons word against another, where one has an entire career to lose and the others have already made cash out of it, there should at least be an element of doubt into claims. Plus, JK is arrogant and his records not highly regarded anyway.

Gary Glitter, the age of the victim really, explains the attitude (and the hard-drive full of images).

Rolf Harris, by then, I should imagine anyone who was around at the time is petrified they'll be yewtreed next...

+Quote Post
red33
post Nov 26 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #3
New Entry
Member No.: 21,290
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, the media is pretty hyporitical
micheal Jackson was accused of molesting 14 yr old boys , but ultimately found Not Guilty and yet he was raked over hot coals ,turned into a pariah and vilified until his death. 0_o

Even the few people who defended him did so because they thought he was innocent, not because they thought diddling children was okay. Nobody said that mj's bad childhood made it okay for him to molest kids like how Polanski defenders use Sharon tate's murder as an excuse for Polanski raping a child.

This post has been edited by red33: Nov 26 2014, 05:20 PM

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Nov 26 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #4
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

What an odd first post.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 26 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #5
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

More to the point, why would someone join a forum just to make a moral topic about a shamed star who isn't even especially relevant to Buzzjack or indeed current pop culture?

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 26 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #6
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I thought it was about Roman Zolanski first..
Also, didn't know Leslie Grantham was a convicted murderer! Learn something new every day etc.

+Quote Post
M.
post Nov 26 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 26 2014, 05:28 PM) *
More to the point, why would someone join a forum just to make a moral topic about a shamed star who isn't even especially relevant to Buzzjack or indeed current pop culture?

Life doesn't make sense. I figured it out when I was like three.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 26 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #8
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

He's a director so in a way it's entertainment, on an entertainment forum. But this thread is a little bland...

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 26 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #9
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Cremey @ Nov 26 2014, 05:38 PM) *
I thought it was about Roman Zolanski first..
Also, didn't know Leslie Grantham was a convicted murderer! Learn something new every day etc.

There's a MASSIVE conspiracy circling the internet about Nicki being in the illuminati or something. Polanski being a known pedofile (before or after she said he was her AE?) and Nicki "choosing" him seems a bit odd and is driving conspiracy truthers insane laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SNOWING ADAM: Nov 26 2014, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 26 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #10
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I'm not sure why people would defend some of the actions of Roman Polanski the man, but having done a dissertation on him and being completely captivated by the way he created cinema he is still a huge idol of mine. That's Polanski the artist not the man. And as a fan of his works, his life surrounding them is incredibly fascinating to learn about - these controversial figures always have their rabid supporters/cult fanatics. One of the richest, most complex lives any artist has had. And as bad as it might sound, his complex life is one of the reasons why his cinema is now viewed and appreciated so glowingly.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 26 2014, 10:33 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Nov 26 2014, 09:16 PM) *
I'm not sure why people would defend some of the actions of Roman Polanski the man, but having done a dissertation on him and being completely captivated by the way he created cinema he is still a huge idol of mine. That's Polanski the artist not the man. And as a fan of his works, his life surrounding them is incredibly fascinating to learn about - these controversial figures always have their rabid supporters/cult fanatics. One of the richest, most complex lives any artist has had. And as bad as it might sound, his complex life is one of the reasons why his cinema is now viewed and appreciated so glowingly.

which is why i would prefer media (if it's going to ban product by convicted criminals) bans product created after the conviction and doesn't confuse them with pre-crime art/product. Hitler's paintings fetch a fortune, when arguably they should all be destroyed (it's difficult to imagine anyone more evil and deserving of wiping from history, but there's no chance of that ever happening).

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 26 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #12
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

When we next do the obligatory "post your first buzzjack post", red33 is going to be a landslide winner.

Oh and I too had no idea Leslie Grantham had been previously convicted of murder. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 06:09 PM