BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What Maisie Knew, Social Movie | Julianne Moore & Steve Coogan
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Dec 1 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"What Maisie Knew" is an American social drama based on the homonymus novel by Henry James. It was first published in 1897 but the two writers Nancy Doyne and Carroll Cartwright adapted it to the modern era. Originally, it was screened at the Toronto Film Festival in September 2012 but it was released at the end of May this year in my country's cinemas. The truth is that we didn't remember the title of the film that period. We didn't watch the official trailer anywhere but its screening in a neighborhood cinema has given us the chance to watch it even so late.
"What Maisie Knew" is one of those movies in which it needs to spend in your mind, so it can stew. When I left the cinema hall, I regarded it as a worthwhile social movie, but as the days passed, I realized that it is one of the best films of its kind. The young protagonist Onata Aprile identified with the role and she imparts to the audience the concerns, the worries, the fears and the rotations of all the emotions in which a child of separated parents has. In the case of Maisie, her parents had other priorities in their lives than to take care of her. Making parallel relationships with each lover that they found and giving a strong emphasis on their careers, they neglected their own child who ends up becoming "the ball" to each other because of their problematic relationship. This has a concequence on Maisie, unintentionally spending most of her time with her stepfather and stepmother. It is a touching story without melodrama and naive didacticism and concludes with this idea: that parents are not the ones that make children but those who grow with and really care for them. Besides, doesn't the same thing happen in normal life? After we have seen many times, adoptive parents grow to love with excess other people's children. As to performances, they were good enough by any actor/actress - although the little actress literally steals the show - and the plot of the movie did not tire at all. The directors Scott McGehee and David Siegel made a purposeful work and the music fits perfectly to the emotions of the small protagonist in every scene.
"What Maisie Knew" received very positive reviews and was loved by a lot of people. It has a pretty good rating on IMDb (7,5) and most of them have only positive words to say. It's an interesting story that touches a chord with viewers and I imagine that many children of separated parents have been in similar situations. The film does not intend to make a difference with this movie, but it aims to remind the public that children need love, care and attention from both parents. Besides, the last scene of the film says it all.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 1 2014, 11:17 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
I adore this film wub.gif I don't remember her name but I think it was Joanna who played the women who looked after Maisie often was incredible and stole the show. Julliane, Steve, Alexander and the girl who played Maisie were all great today wub.gif
This was such a good film, I think I saw it nearly a year ago on an app on my ipad

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Dec 2 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Dec 2 2014, 01:17 AM) *
I adore this film wub.gif I don't remember her name * but I think it was Joanna who played the women who looked after Maisie often was incredible and stole the show. Julliane, Steve, Alexander and the girl who played Maisie were all great today wub.gif
This was such a good film, I think I saw it nearly a year ago on an app on my ipad

Do you mean the babysitter? She was very good. I didn't like her at first but I changed my mind about her at the end of the film.
It was a very sensitive story! I didn't expect it to be so good.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:21 AM