Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Locke, Director/Writer: Steven Knight | Tom Hardy
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Dec 3 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"Locke" was originally shown outside competition at the Venice Film Festival last year while in my country, it was released in late July. I remember that it was chosen by several cinemas in my city but I did not know anything more about this movie apart from its title. Yet a neighborhood cinema choose it at quite a low price, so I took the chance to watch it on the big screen!
Do not expect too much from "Locke" as film production since the whole plot unfolds within a car (in a BMW X5 to be precise). The protagonist Tom Hardy gives an excellent performance and it's the only good point of the film. His facial expressions and his temperament convinces the viewers of the big trouble which his character faces and literally he carries the entire film on him. Moreover, there are not other actors on his side and all this leads to an "one man show". I couldn't say that I found the directing so enjoyable as the performance of Hardy and the story was not so strong so as to keep our interest high. Steven Knight not only wrote the script of "Locke" but he was also responsible for directing and thus played a key role in the outcome of the film. If we compared it with "Buried" (2010), which had a similar concept, I think "Locke" looses in most of the parts. The first film is based on the survival of the protagonist with his mobile as a unique tool (since he is buried in the soil) while in the second film, the protagonist simply is trying to reach help by phone, to sort out his life, all the time being inside his car. To be honest, I did not find the script idea as shocking as it was reported by some newspapers and magazines. Critics maybe love it and I think that they were honest. However, the marketing team of the movie used the titles for making fuss in the official trailer. It was just a different approach to an issue which we have seen several times in the cinema. It was successfully made but it was not very interesting. The dark shots and the consecutive callings was somewhat tedious and annoying from time to time. Some extra outside shots could have been added to break up the monotony. Of course, it had some good moments but its context was quite depressive. I believe that it is one from those films that it doesn't need to be watched in the cinema. On the contrary, I would say that it is better to watch it at home.
"Locke" is an alternative cinematic proposal which it will divide the audience. Surely, some people will deify it and others will totally pan it. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle because I do not think that it was neither very good nor very bad. It just could be based on a more exciting script idea. I will recommend it only for cinema lovers who are hungry for quirky concepts and the fans of Tom Hardy, who gives the best performance of his life!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2016 - 11:45 AM