BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Azealia vs Azalea, and Kendrick Lamar // racial politics~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Dec 5 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I was going to confine this to the RNB News thread but i think it warrants a slightly deeper look at.

We've probably all heard about Azealia Banks' latest Twitter rant, but has she gone too far this time or is she just defending her own culture from being underappreciated or ignored when art is involved?

The story~

Azealia Banks Slams Iggy Azalea in Racially Charged Rant After Eric Garner Killing Verdict

Azealia Banks' racially-charged beef with Iggy Azalea was fueled yet again on Wednesday, as hundreds took to the streets of New York City to protest a grand jury decision not to indict a white police officer who killed an unarmed black man and father of six, Eric Garner.

"It's funny to see people Like Igloo Australia silent when these things happen..." Banks tweeted hours after the Garner killing verdict was announced. "If you're down to ride with us bitch, you gotta RIDE ALL THE WAY," she added.

"LOL... I'M PETTY, but it's so true, ugh, that wannabe black girl s--t makes me wanna throw a jar of my p--- at her LMFAOOOO," she said, adding, "Like, fill a jar with p--- and mayo and eggs and just dump that s--t on that bitch's head LMFAOOOOOOO."

"I blame T.I. for giving Iggy a pass into the culture that she actually cares nothing about."

"Why do you want to act like us? I need to know. Why do you imitate us in such a way that I feel like you are actually making fun of us? Why?"

She also referenced the Ku Klux Klan in another insult against Azalea and used a racial slur against T.I. in an additional tweet. He has not commented.

Full story & Iggy's response: http://uk.eonline.com/news/603435/azealia-...-what-they-said

-- x --

There's a lot more to it too, but in essence does Azealia have a point to call out Iggy for embracing black culture (to the point where she considers it mocking black culture) and then turning a blind eye when black political/social issues arise? And what about her way of going about addressing the issues? ohmy.gif Should culture be exclusive to those that are directly a part of it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Dec 5 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #2
ya ya ya i am lorde
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,397

Why does it always has to be black VS white. As if race even matters. I just don't get it AT ALL.

+Quote Post
jjake
post Dec 5 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #3
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

in an ideal world race shouldn't matter but when you come to appropriating black history and race relations it sadly does. i do get azealia's point about iggy cherry picking the 'best' and most 'positive' elements of black culture to her own personal gain but whilst ignoring the cold, hard, non-glamorous side of things. it basically shows azalea for how ignorant she is, particularly in her vapid response about her nice tour.

clive myrie contributed a really thought provoking article on the larger issue on bbc news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30310934

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 5 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #4
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Conderella @ Dec 5 2014, 04:10 PM) *
Why does it always has to be black VS white. As if race even matters. I just don't get it AT ALL.

this is a ridiculously easy statement to make as a white person tho. race kind of does matter, especially when white people can be lauded for cherry picking the most appealing traits of black r&b culture whilst black practitioners of that just get ignored/sidelined/even criticised for it. copy paste nobody giving a damn about le1f and everybody giving a damn about macklemore when he does same love.

+Quote Post
mAddy Xmas
post Dec 5 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,666

Azelia needs to stfu.

I don't know why she picked on her when plenty of BLACK artists remained silent and that's just as bad!!!

I don't think music should be about race in this day and age...it's like saying only black person can be a rapper!!!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 5 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #6
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Azealia does have a point in some ways but she always goes about it totally the wrong way. Iggy has adopted the "best" bits of black culture and made a name for herself in doing so, but equally her not tweeting about Eric Garner doesn't mean she "isn't riding the whole way". As said above, I highly doubt every black rapper/celebrity on twitter has tweeted about it. That doesn't mean they aren't saddened by it or don't show their respect in other ways.

She just likes to start beef, I think she must die without the life support of an ongoing feud laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Dec 5 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #7
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

Why should anyone who doesn't publicly comment on a controversial topic be seen to be ignoring it/only cherry-picking the positives of a culture etc? As has been said, not every figure involved in black culture has entered into the public debate with their opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with being private about your thoughts on current affairs and she shouldn't be criticised for it. Besides, in this case, I think Iggy is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. She'd be given grief by some people for continuing to 'act like she's black' if she gave a condemning view of the verdict.

This post has been edited by Mistletoahspike: Dec 5 2014, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Dec 5 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #8
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Not really on topic with the thread but:

AZEALIA!

212 music.gif wub.gif

Love Fancy too though. However her pre-Fancy songs sounded pretty rubbish sad.gif

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Dec 5 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #9
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

They are both a waste of oxygen.

+Quote Post
mAddy Xmas
post Dec 5 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(SNOWING ADAM @ Dec 5 2014, 06:41 PM) *
Not really on topic with the thread but:

AZEALIA!

212 music.gif wub.gif

Love Fancy too though. However her pre-Fancy songs sounded pretty rubbish sad.gif

Work >>> the rest

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Dec 5 2014, 05:04 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Whatever valid point Azealia had was ruined the instant she started attacking 'Igloo Australia', then it just came across as someone using current circumstances and 'cultural defence' to disguise what is another attempt at a Twitter beef to get one over on someone whose style she doesn't approve of. I think Iggy came across as extremely mature in that reply.

As someone said on the Guardian comments for this article, as a white Australian, would it have been Iggy's place to comment on a situation between white and black Americans? I think if anything it would've got her more detractors had she made a comment on it and you can guarantee Azealia would've been attacking it regardless.

This post has been edited by FrostytheWallaby: Dec 5 2014, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Dec 5 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #12
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Azealia going for the jugular. What else is new?

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Dec 5 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #13
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Azealia is absolutely right about Igloo. She's offensive, has no talent whatsoever and her ascension to stardom is a disgusting event in popular culture and music history.
She needs to be dragged every single day untill the end of time.

+Quote Post
April
post Dec 5 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #14
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

QUOTE(Toby @ Dec 5 2014, 07:16 PM) *
Azealia is absolutely right about Igloo. She's offensive, has no talent whatsoever and her ascension to stardom is a disgusting event in popular culture and music history.

Drag ha Toby!

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 6 2014, 08:30 AM
Post #15
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mistletoahspike @ Dec 5 2014, 05:34 PM) *
She'd be given grief by some people for continuing to 'act like she's black' if she gave a condemning view of the verdict.

And they'd be in the wrong - she'd at least be using her platform to highlight voices and issues which, while not quite ignored, get distinctly less white support and thought than black support.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 6 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #16
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Addy K!ng @ Dec 5 2014, 05:15 PM) *
I don't know why she picked on her when plenty of BLACK artists remained silent and that's just as bad!!!

Why is it just as bad? A black artist has to deal with the prejudice in society against black people every single day. Iggy's like the house guest who turns up, eats the nice food, but the second anything goes wrong in the house gets away fast. Why is it just as bad if the person living in the house doesn't speak out when they have to deal with the consequences anyway?

+Quote Post
mAddy Xmas
post Dec 6 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Dec 6 2014, 10:34 AM) *
Why is it just as bad? A black artist has to deal with the prejudice in society against black people every single day. Iggy's like the house guest who turns up, eats the nice food, but the second anything goes wrong in the house gets away fast. Why is it just as bad if the person living in the house doesn't speak out when they have to deal with the consequences anyway?

That really has nothing to do with THIS.

The point is that Azelia needs a LIFE...her logic is hot ass messy...since when people are obligatory to comment/post or remain silent about the world issues????...If Iggy would post something offensive, then fine I understand her rant but that's just stupid the way she thinks.

She needs to concentrate on her floppy career and leave Macklemore and Iggy alone tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Dec 6 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #18
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

Maybe I just don't care enough about Iggy's music and career and that's why I don't know this but I'd really like to find out what she actually did wrong regarding race (particularly black) issues and cultures and shit. Is it because she says she's having a 'nice tour'? Maybe she doesn't want to express her negative thoughts and opinions in public - this is her prerogative, no?

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 6 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #19
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Igloo Australia. laugh.gif

To be fair Banks does have a point but she puts it across in a really awful and off-putting way, this is why I prefer to just enjoy the music and forget about the people behind it.

+Quote Post
Spiral
post Dec 6 2014, 10:32 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 8,208

QUOTE(Toby @ Dec 5 2014, 07:16 PM) *

You could say the same thing about Banks!

Why is Azealia moaning about a white woman doing rap music when Eminem, a white man, has been doing it successfully since 1999?! The woman's tweets are more memorable than anything on "Broke with Poundland Taste" and her rise to fame is bad mouthing artists unprovoked, saying f****t & the N word every chance she's given and then saying she's the victim.

This is not a race thing, this is her trying to hide the fear that her career has died and Iggy's is actually doing pretty well. It's jealousy!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 11:32 PM