BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favourite albums of the year?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Davidson
post Dec 10 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,847
   No Gallery Pics

I thought seeing as a lot of people's favourite albums may have been from different genres it wouldn't be fair to make this in a specific genre forum. Seeing as it's half way through December now I taking it we all have our personal favourite records of year (unless Beyonce does another December surprise for the second year running). Always really interested in what other people were listening to this year so would love as many people as possible to compile their own lists within the comments.

Here is my top 10:

10. FKA Twigs - LP1

LP1 was such a full and exciting debut. Really was the album I was backing to win the Mercury prize but it wasn't to be. Just so sensual all the way through. MORE PLEASE.

09. BANKS - Goddess

For me, unfortunately she released the best songs from the album before it has been released as a full body which halted my enjoyment initially but the highlights are so high it would be unfair not to give it it's rightful place.

08. Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love

A real surprise to me, was never a Paolo fan at all before this, nothing he had done had ever excited me much. However, Caustic Love was just so much more mature and well-rounded. I still stand by that this sounds like a real classic soul album that would stand the test of time. Certainly something pretty special with this effort.

07. Ariana Grande - My Everything

Another surprise to me, I think Ariana really came into her own this year. Having never been impressed much before the release of 'My Everything' changed that. One of the most self-assured pop releases in ages.

06. SOHN - Tremors

This debut is an absolute treasure. The vocals throughout are lovely but the main selling point is how spot on the stunningly beautiful production is throughout. So under-rated this year.

05. Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Pigs flew and the album we all thought would never come suddenly appeared. Reminding us she does have other skills apart from picking Twitter wars (although she quickly went back to that), BWET was everything I had hoped for and more. Loud, brash and just brilliantly bonkers. See you for album 2 in about 10 years AZ.

04. SZA - Z

Quickly upgrading this EP to album status was a very wise move from SZA as it allowed her to come onto the scene with one of the best débuts of the year. Full of fantastic melancholy alternative production topped off with her sweet but assertive vocals, it remains a complete earworm. Can't wait for what she has to offer coming into 2015.

03. Big K.R.I.T - Cadillactica

Certainly my favourite hip hop album of the year. Such captivating lyricism and the production is just perfection. Can't skip a track when I put it on.

02. Jhene Aiko - Souled Out

Now I know some found this slightly disappointing compared to some of her previous offerings but it really cemented my love for her. Perfect vocals, so many melodic hooks throughout every song that just sink in more and more as you listen. I may not have been fully on board before but this completely converted me into an absolute fan. Too good.

01. Tinashe - Aquarius

By far and away my favourite album of the year. I truly believe a defining R&B album of this time period. I hope so anyway.

This post has been edited by Davidson: Dec 10 2014, 08:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Dec 10 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I didn't really go through an album this year. I don't really take notice of them anyway. And it's rare for me to like ALL tracks on one, EVEN if it's a VERY favourite album/NOW...

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Dec 10 2014, 08:34 PM
Post #3
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

My white privelege is say Iggy's debut.

But my heart is saying no.

But, on a serious note I'd go with Sia- 1000 Forms of Fear. Lovely record. HOWEVER. This year has been quite dry when it comes to full albums.

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Dec 10 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #4
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

10. Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
Definitely a grower for me. I actually think that Black Widow is very weak compared to other tracks such as 'I Don't need Y'all' and 'Bounce' and overall it's an extremely solid Pop/R&B album. Every tracks as pretty much instant for me but I do tend to see that as a bad thing as the album got old pretty quickly. Still a nice album to come to every now and then.
09. Pixie Lott - Pixie Lott
I don't think I'd end up liking the album tbh, the first few singles were underwhelming but I gave it a try and suprisingly liked it. This new approach for Pixie was quite the good decision and the entire sound of the album ends up delivering. Her voice sounds amazing and I don't hate any song off the album. But just like 'The New Classic' the songs don't tend to stay fresh sounding for long enough.
08. Ella Henderson - Chapter One
Chapter One was some sort of a dissapointment. Amazing up-tempo songs mixed in with a LOT of ballads and slow songs. There are so many ballads that the entire album becomes a little too concentrated in ballads and less of Dance anthems like 'Ghost'. Nevertheless, I still found the album listenable and I've found myself repeatedly listening to songs such as 'Mirror Man' - Enough that I've fallen in love with them. Hopefully her next album doesn't sound too sappy.
07. Alt-J - This is All Yours
Just a masterpiece to be honest. Not as good as their debut but still an interesting LP with nice transition from one song to the next, one of he most hyped up albums for me.
06. BANKS - Goddess
Album to my favorite song of he year 'This is what it feels like'. I absolutely adore this album, BANKS sounds brilliant as usual but I just adore every single song from Goddess music.gif
05. fKA Twigs - LP1
A suprise for me definitely. The only reason I bought this was because I was just browsing my HMV when I saw y'all raving about it on Buzzjack. Extremely good, a gem tbh. I've loved every song from the creepiness of 'Preface' to the heavenliness of 'Two Weeks'. Give Up is the highlight for me heart.gif
04. Bastille - VS.
Not a full LP but I love the experimental sounds. Torn Apart, Bite Down, Bad_News, and all of them are soo good music.gif Dan's voice just gets better with each new release.
03. Ariana Grande - My Everything
Another extremely hyped up album. I think almost every song here is at least a 7/10 and all would make great singles. 'One Last time' for single #4 please cheer.gif
02. Beyonce - Beyonce
I think the visuals are definitely helping it but Beyonce delivers a new experience for music listeners in the form of a visual album. I've enjoyed every single video and every single song. I also love how some songs are joined together and flow nicely from one part to the other. ***Flawless indeed.
01. Foxes - Glorious
What an underrated album this year. Literally no hype for this manson.gif . For 'Talking to ghosts' to 'Count the saints', Glorious is hauntingly beautiful. I see how some people have gone off from her due to a change in sounds but I still feel this is a perfect album that is definitely not aging anytime soon for me

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Dec 10 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #5
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Tove Lo - Queen Of The Clouds (best of the year by far!)
Tinashe - Aquarius
The Veronicas - The Veronicas
Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction
Kylie Minogue - Kiss Me Once (didn't quite stand the test of time for me in the end, but there was enough here to see me through the year)
Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Wanderlust
Ella Henderson - Chapter One

Also Cher Lloyd's album surprised me as someone I pretty disliked previously, and The Vamps' album was my guilty pleasure pop choice from the year. I wanted Say Lou Lou's album and I'm positive that would be added to this list, and I'm going to check out Charli XCX's this week sometime.

This post has been edited by mr_aly: Dec 10 2014, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Dec 10 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #6
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Click on the link in my sig to find out. *PROMO*

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Dec 10 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #7
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Member No.: 20,182

Ella's Chapter One definitely comes to mind as does Christina Perri's Head Or Heart. Given how amazing Paloma's first two albums were, I was a little bit disappointed with A Perfect Contradiction.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Dec 10 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #8
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

I won't rank them since they're different genres, but this is my top 10 and favourite songs from each album.

Lily Allen - Sheezus (Duh)
[Hard Out Here, L8 CMMR, Air Balloon]

Koda Kumi - Bon Voyage (Her best album since 2009)
[Dreaming Now!, Show Me Your Holla, Crank That Bass]

Meri Amber - Super EP (No one knows her but I love her. She's an indie aussie chanteuse and her genre is Geek Pop)
[Friday Viral, Nothing's in Your Way, My Superman)

Lykke Li - I Never Learn
[I Never Learn, Gunshot, Sleeping Alone]

Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education & War
[Coming Home, My Life, One More Last Song]

Little Jackie - Queen of Prospect Park (I love her more than ever wub.gif)
[Haters Club, Move to the Beat, Lose It]

Professor Green - Growing Up in Public (I honestly didn't expect this to be so good)
[Lullaby, Can't Dance Without You, In the Shadow of the Sun]

Katy B - Little Red (I need to play this more)
[5 AM, Everything, Sky's the Limit]

La Roux - Trouble in Paradise (I was initially disappointed, but it's grown on me a lot!)
[The Feeling, Sexoteque, Let Me Down Gently]

Charli XCX - Sucker (I haven't heard the album much as it's just leaked, but my great expectations have been met and I love it)
[Gold Coins, Breaking Up, London Queen]

DISAPPOINTMENTS OF THE YEAR:
Anastacia - Resurrection (was great for a few listens, but it's too ballad-y)
Kelis - Food (I love the feeling of the album in general, but I just can't warm to the songs)
Kylie Minogue - Kiss Me Once (great lead single, terrible campaign, a few amazing tracks, the rest TERRIBLE)
Shakira - Shakira. (first half is OK, second half is just fillers)
Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear (I LOVE some of the songs, but they're all generic and it's certainly her worst album)

This post has been edited by ♡ Heezus Froot ♡: Dec 10 2014, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Dec 10 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Anastacia a disappointment? GET OUT of this thread!

It wasn't as if it was Heavy Rotation.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Dec 10 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #10
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Queen of The Clouds
The New Classic

The holy trinity of 2014

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Dec 10 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

1. Foxes - Glorious
2. Christina Perri - Head Or Heart
3. Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
4. Nina Nesbitt - Peroxide
5. Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction
6. Ella Henderson - Chapter One
7. Ashley Roberts - Butterfly Effect
8. Olly Murs - Never Been Better
9. Anastacia - Resurrection
10. Ariana Grande - My Everything

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Dec 10 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #12
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

My top 10 EOY chart and my favourite non-single from each:

1 The Vamps - Meet The Vamps (Lovestruck)
2 Cheryl - Only Human (Waiting For Lightning)
3 Lily Allen - Sheezus (Life For Me)
4 One Direction - FOUR (Girl Almighty)
5 Hunter Hayes - Storyline (Flashlight)

6 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Wonderland)
7 Iggy Azalea - The New Classic (Walk the Line)
8 Lewis Watson - The Morning (Into the Wild)
9 Alyssa Reid - Time Bomb (Gravity)
10 5 Seconds of Summer - 5 Seconds of Summer (Long Way Home)

Really good year for albums and most of these would've been higher last year.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Dec 10 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(♡ Heezus Froot ♡ @ Dec 10 2014, 09:27 PM) *
Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear (I LOVE some of the songs, but they're all generic and it's certainly her worst album)

Sia and generic does not compute.

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Dec 10 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #14
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

Ultraviolence, Queen of the Clouds and Sheezus are good too wub.gif

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Dec 10 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #15
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

48:13
A Perfect Contradiction
Chapter One
Sheezus
Ultraviolence

My top 40 albums will be revealed in my EOY countdown during 28th to 31st December smile.gif

+Quote Post
Davidson
post Dec 10 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,847
   No Gallery Pics

YES at Little Red. Always forget about it but such a gem, much improvement from her first album for me. Think it would probably sit just outside my top 10 along with Gorgon City's 'Sirens' and Taylor's '1989' though.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Dec 10 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #17
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Dec 11 2014, 12:28 AM) *
Sia and generic does not compute.

Have you heard "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile"? Autotune Queen.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Dec 10 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #18
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

It's been a DISMAL year for music, albums in particular. I've only truly LOVED 4: Jessie Ware, Austin Mahone, Tove Lo and iamamiwhoami. Add to that One Direction, The Vamps, Clean Bandit, HAERTS (would be higher but we basically had like 80% of the album already) and that's about it.

It's been a year of some huge disappointments, I didn't EXPECT Kiss Me Once to be any good, but I still hoped it might be better than it ended up being, with only 3 tracks I have any desire to replay. Paloma totally lost me this year with the totally unnecessary image and sound makeover, Sanna released an EP with only 2 good songs, so that wasn't very smart and there are more but I can't be arsed moaning about half assed music any further.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Dec 10 2014, 11:18 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(♡ Heezus Froot ♡ @ Dec 10 2014, 10:53 PM) *
Have you heard "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile"? Autotune Queen.

I was trying to block that song's existence. tongue.gif It's not on the album though - an album I think is quite unlike anything else.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Dec 10 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

FKA twigs - LP1

I sort of randomly stumbled upon her music, and so glad I did. It's a cohesive, mesmerizing experience of a listen. There's sensuality, there's subtlety, there's weird awkward beats... Give Up and Kicks are stunning.

Tori Amos - Unrepentant Geraldines

Her best album in a long time for me. Stunning intimacy and melody. Her voice has also gotten a lot more attractive to my ear with this album. It kinda got a bit weird around the time of maybe American Doll Posse, but this album has beautiful vocals. Oysters and Invisible Boy are probably the biggest highlights for me at the moment.

Charlotte Martin - Water Breaks Stone

An emotional rollercoaster. Dark at times, but that adds to the stunning sonic and emotional experience. It's just a very interesting album. Her music should be more well known I think.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 05:36 AM