BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does an artist's PERSONALITY ever matter for the MUSIC??
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jan 5 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I've seen discussions like this come up a fair bit recently, most notably with the recent releases of Kanye West and Tulisa (but i am sure there are a TONNE of other examples). Currently discussing Kanye West in a lot of detail with others on here, and though none are "guilty" of doing this, it does raise interesting points about the artist and their art and whether the two are separable.

I apologise in advance to T-Boy for using him as an example here (feel free to correct me, i'm just playing devil's advocate) but comments such as "I cannot understand how Tulisa can have fans" or words to that effect, make me think that some might be using personal opinions of an artist to judge their music ohmy.gif as i said that may have been 100% MUSICAL based so do respond back~ It works also with some that seem to somehow hate every single boyband single that has ever been released, which i find very hard to actually believe and more just based on the fact that it's a boyband song...

Does anyone have any examples of this, perhaps an artist they dislike as a personality, and therefore not liking any of their music or are you a purist that will judge every song on its own merit?

thinking.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Jan 5 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

If they have an absolutely horrendous personality, then I cannot look beyond that within the music. My main example here is Chris Brown, who I cannot stand as a person and I refrain from liking any of his solo music, aside from 'Beautiful People' who I put down to Benny Bennassi being the artist. Thankfully, even if I look beyond him as a person, his music is only average at best.

I can be put off by people's personalities and this can affect my overall judgement on their music, yes but it's often not too big a factor and I wouldn't want it to be.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jan 5 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #3
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

It works both ways I think. For example with Kanye, he gets a lot of hate because of his personality, and I guess you can accustom the likes of Justin Bieber, Chris Brown in to this bracket as well. But on the flip side, I have a couple of friends that are unbelievable Kanye fans. He could literally do no wrong, and they love his rants that he is God etc. - I'd go as far as saying it enhances their enjoyment of his music!

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Jan 5 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #4
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

I've just had this big discussion with Bal but for me, the personality of an artist doesn't detract from how much I enjoy an artist's music HOWEVER it does affect how much I am willing to invest in an artist. If I don't really like someone (Kanye, Taylor, Justin Bieber), then the chances that I'm going to invest in listening to an album of theirs is very minimal because I'm just not interested in them enough / don't like them enough to dedicate my time listening extensively to them.

I do find it annoying when people use their pre-conceived ideas of artists to just songs by people before they've even heard them, I've definitely seen it a lot on this website with people liking songs by boybands before they've even given them a chance. Most people hadn't listened to 'She Looks So Perfect' when it went in at #1 on iTunes but the sentiment was "ugh, another boyband" and statements that generally just portrayed indifference to the song for no other reason than them being a boyband. It's nonsensical and moronic.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jan 5 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Rushing in to defend.

No, I do not like Tulisa's personality. Does this affect my opinion of her music? Possibly, but probably not. I feel she is a weak singer whose songs are soulless and basically basic as f**k. The latest track has been compared to Kiezsa, whose music I also don't like. In fact, I don't think I've ever expressed a favourable opinion towards any song that sounds anything like stuff Tulisa has created. The opening post could almost be taken as someone saying that Tulisa has produced the new Bohemian Rhapsody and I was just being difficult in my dislike of it because of who sings it. Her personality doesn't help but it's not the reason I dislike the song and it's also not the reason I can't see why people like her. I don't see what she brings to anyone.

People also think I dislike Kanye West because he's a dick, but I think his music is average and it's not for me.

To be honest, I'm more likely to criticise posters who moan about MOR ballads all the time and say they're sending them to sleep. Anything without a generic dance beat us sleep inducing according to yesterday's chart show thread.

At the end of the day, I judge things on musical merit, but if the personality of an artist is awful, it doesn't help change my opinion.

This post has been edited by T Boy: Jan 5 2015, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 5 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #6
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I agree with the whole prejudice thing with boybands that seems to occur. Obviously I'm a big boyband fan generally speaking but with the exception of a small handful of artists (like Maroon 5 who I don't like purely cause I can't abide Adam Levine's voice, nothing based on the songs themselves most of the time), I like the judge on a track-by-track basis.

In terms of personalities, I think Rob hit the nail on the head. It doesn't affect my view on the music but it affects how much I invest in them. I still love Justin Bieber's music but I'm finding it harder and harder to properly invest in him with all the bad stories around. Hence why I try not to read any because I don't want it to affect my view of the music.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 5 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

The music, no, I'd say it doesn't really affect my ability to like individual songs but it does affect my ability to get behind an artist or find myself excited by their output.

Some artists I don't like (Lawson is one example because they just came up in conversation) just happen to never release anything I like but that's because of the music, whereas other artists (I'll use Chris Brown as an example although I do like a couple of his songs) put me off with their attitude in most cases and I find it harder to like any of their material because of that. I wouldn't hate a song just because I didn't like the artist when it's otherwise a good song though.

People pre-judging on an act, or even worse a genre, is just the worst though. I know I always say about "dance generic crap" being awful, but I listen to the songs first at least. I hate when peple are just like "oh there's a new Katy Perry song OA/OS it'll be manufactured crap" or whatever just because they happen to like not like her. I do always listen to the song because even the worst artists have potential for a good song or two.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jan 5 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #8
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

Very rarely. Also my main example is the same as Uptown Froot even though his music is pretty poor anyway. I just hate chris brown so much that I could never like any of his songs (bar no air because of Jordin sparks)

Kanye west's personality I also hate but I can stand some of his music and even though I love her music, Katy Perry is also really starting to get on my nerves

So only if the artist has done something that makes me hate them every inch then I don't like their music

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jan 5 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #9
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

I think knowing somebody's a dick can make me not want to listen to their music but if I heard said music without their name attached to it then I could enjoy it for what it was. I'm fortunate many of the artists with terrible personalities also make terrible music biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Jan 5 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #10
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jan 5 2015, 06:39 PM) *
To be honest, I'm more likely to criticise posters who moan about MOR ballads all the time and say they're sending them to sleep. Anything without a generic dance beat us sleep inducing according to yesterday's chart show thread.

I have to agree with this. It's increasingly tiring to read that any slower song is boring/dull/sleep-inducing. There are clearly MOR songs out there that do fit within these categories but not everything does.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 5 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #11
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I agree with Rooney about it working the other way round too. Sometimes an artists' personality really helps to bring the music to life. Something like 'Yeezus' would not work for any other artist i don't think laugh.gif

I think i can (finally smile.gif) agree with Rob too about the investment thing, though for me, i tend to dislike artists based on their music in the first place. So if i don't like them because of their music, i am not going to rush to listen to an album off them. There aren't many artists whose personalities i actually dislike, though Chris Brown is probably the one and i really like a lot of his singles!

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jan 5 2015, 06:39 PM) *
Rushing in to defend.

No, I do not like Tulisa's personality. Does this affect my opinion of her music? Possibly, but probably not. I feel she is a weak singer whose songs are soulless and basically basic as f**k. The latest track has been compared to Kiezsa, whose music I also don't like. In fact, I don't think I've ever expressed a favourable opinion towards any song that sounds anything like stuff Tulisa has created. The opening post could almost be taken as someone saying that Tulisa has produced the new Bohemian Rhapsody and I was just being difficult in my dislike of it because of who sings it. Her personality doesn't help but it's not the reason I dislike the song and it's also not the reason I can't see why people like her. I don't see what she brings to anyone.

People also think I dislike Kanye West because he's a dick, but I think his music is average and it's not for me.

At the end of the day, I judge things on musical merit, but if the personality of an artist is awful, it doesn't help change my opinion.

That's fair enough. Apologies for singling out your post but it helped to raise a point i was making. I guess the "change my opinion" thing is true as, like Rob said again, you're probably less inclined to repeat the song out of choice, whereas for artists you do like this often is the case to the point where you naturally begin to like the material.

The MOR thing is another to go in the "all boyband songs are crap" camp. It's not really a genre i go for but there are plenty of beauties that get banded as life-less because they're not floor fillers.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 5 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #12
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I don't think it SHOULD, but it invariably does. Like Chris Brown, I'm inclined to dislike his music given he is such a monumentally awful person in the rest if his life.

If we're talking more generally, ie. does an artist having no personality diminish your enjoyment of music, then no. A good song is a good song. Which links into the above. Chris Brown (to continue my example) has no good songs, which makes my stance easy. I hate Cher Lloyds personality, but I can admit that her last album was pretty good.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 5 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Members
Member No.: 116

No.

Music is music for me, I don't have to like an artist's personality to love a song. Two major case in points being Jessie J's Bang Bang and Chris Brown's Don't Wake Me Up - both incredible songs.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 6 2015, 04:02 AM
Post #14
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I can think of one case where a brilliant personality (or multiple, in this case) led me to pay more attention to an artist: Haim. I hadn't listened to them before they won Sound of 2013 but heard their interview on Radio 1 and was very drawn to their effortlessly quirky humor and pop-culture references. If I hadn't heard that interview I'm not sure I would've anticipated their album, but now I own it and it's one of my favorites!

But generally I pay very little attention to artists' personalities, which makes it easy to separate that from the music itself. I know nothing about Jessie J other than her music; the reactions against her on here give me an idea, but I'm also very surprised at the amount of negative posts I've read! Chris Brown, on the other hand, I'm aware is pretty abhorrent, but I like a lot of his music and listen to it regularly.

This post has been edited by Riser: Jan 6 2015, 04:03 AM

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 6 2015, 08:53 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I think it really depends.

Some people like Megan Trainor who are talking negatively about feminism or trying to project confused and negative body images - I find difficult to like their music. But she should try harder to make a good song, too. tongue.gif

Then there is Chris Brown, who I'd pretty much refuse to listen to. I cannot support an artist who beat up a woman, simple as.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 6 2015, 12:36 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I can dislike an artist and still like their music, and vice versa, the music is what matters in the long run - if I have preconceived perceptions about an act they just have to work harder to convince me. In the long run, nobody gives a toss whether Mozart and Beethoven were loveable or loathable or neither, all that matters is the music. Not the stage performances, the videos, the pop culture icons, the tittle tattle cos in the end it's about what sounds good now and sounds good in 20, 50, 100 years. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 6 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #17
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

The thing is with artists that have terrible personalities is their attitude can sometimes come through in their music, so it's hard NOT to let it affect you. Jessie J in particular here, this horrific, preachy, arrogant attitude nearly always comes through and its just...ugh. That said, I can admit that she can be decent (Thunder and, just as it seems a bit less preachy than her usual standards, Price Tag) sometimes.

I generally don't let it affect me and can gladly accept that people I hate can do good songs. The Gallagher brothers are pretty vile personalities, but Oasis are one of my favourite bands and Bono...well less said the better, but I adore U2's music, even No Regrets by Dappy wasn't that bad. The thing about the likes of Chris Brown, Tulisa, Justin Bieber and probably others is that along with their awful personalities, they've never really produced anything decent musically to these ears so it makes the decision rather easy.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 6 2015, 01:09 PM

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jan 6 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #18
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

For the most part, no. Take the aforementioned examples of Chris Brown and Jessie J, both insufferable personalities yet I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a fan of some of their singles (STRICTLY the first era for the latter, though.) Like what has already been said, as long as they produce a good tune (I highly doubt bad personally = horrible production for example) then I will take it for what it is. If music is terrible, it's terrible - for instance, most of the repetitive hip-hop music that is huge in the States is not my cup of tea and that's down to the music itself, leading to me not caring about the artist. If an artist has an incredible back-catologue, thus leading me to their character which I may dislike, then that's not going to detract from the music that I liked in the first place.

This post has been edited by Jade: Jan 6 2015, 02:18 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 6 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #19
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Nope, but you can continue to dislike Katy Perry if she's illuminati ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 6 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #20
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I think we can also lump in the "Miley Cyrus is a $l*t" comments into here. People have been giving her the side-eye since her performance of "Party In The U.S.A." where she was "dancing on a pole" and I simply couldn't and STILL CAN'T at all these comparisons. I guess it didn't hurt "We Can't Stop" and "Wrecking Ball" in the long run ("Adore You", maybe), but I still see people saying that they don't like Miley because of her current image.

I'm quite the opposite on Bieber. He's been getting sh*t from the general public since the start of his career and I still like most of his singles. It's just that his latest tracks have been generic as f*ck. I think I can lump in Kesha to the Bieber example as well, but Warrior was just as killer as her other albums.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:39 PM