Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Le Meraviglie/The Wonders, It won the Grand Prix at the Cannes Film Festival 2014!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Jan 8 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"Le Meraviglie" or "The Wonders" is an Italian production which was released in my country over a month ago. "Le Meraviglie" was awarded with the Grand Prize (Grand Prix) at the Cannes Film Festival 2014! This distinction is awarded to the most original film every time. Having seen many award films from the most prestigious festivals in the world, I can say that the majority of them were quite good and some of them were excellent (The White Ribbon, La Vie d'Adele, The Pianist). Yet "The Wonders" is not one of them.
The story is based on the willing and perseverance of a girl to join her family in a TV reality show to win a prize money. Her father is a beekeeper and the little protagonist, along with her three smaller sisters, help him in various agricultural activities. Although her father strongly opposed to family participation in the competition, the protagonist completes an application in secret and eventually the family takes part in the television event. Definitely the scenario is not something great but we have not seen similar stories in cinema so it has an originality as concept. However, the result did not satisfy us enough and while it started slowly and then got better, in the last 40 minutes of the movie, it was embarrassing to watch the performances and the plot was very incoherent. The latter scene was extremely disappointing. I can not figure out what inspired or reason for the director / screenwriter Alice Rohrwache to make this movie. Did she want to shoot a film with social fiction elements ? Does she want to show us the hard life in the Italian farmhouse or perhaps she wanted to convey the relationships between children and parents who live in rural areas? Maybe a little of bit of everything, without giving us something meaningful. However, the interpretation of the little heroine was very good, the other interpretations were nice and the first half of the film was quite interesting. Unfortunately, the second half was tragic, the plot become worse and worse while the performances were up to par with a high school play. Monica Bellucci convinced us once again that she is not a brilliant actress. Her performance was one the worst of this year but I imagine that she will not win the Golden Raspberry Award because they usually choose more relevant actors/actresses.
"Le Meraviglie" was not very good, in my opinion, to be awarded in the most prestigious film festivals worldwide! I don't justify the award which it won because "Relatos Salvajes" / "Wild Tales" was the one that had to be honored due to the smart script idea and the original direction. "Le Meraviglie", however, has received a moderate rating - for award winning film - in IMDb (6,8), showing that those who saw it, have not formed the best opinion. Sure, it was not a very bad movie but we didn't see a "wonder" on screen..

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2016 - 05:19 AM