BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jan 12 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

What is the public transport like where you're from? Do you have to use it to get around either voluntarily or because you have no other way of getting round?

I use the train to get around everywhere, but as there are no stations near my school, i now have to get the BUS to get there and it is my worst nightmare mellow.gif forever smelly, damp and cold and unruly. Trains around Birmingham are quite good though and tend to get you from A-B relatively easily~

Any public transport horror stories? ohmy.gif

*waits for Pavel's comment on public transport in Russia being much worse and we should all be grateful*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 12 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #2
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I don't mind getting the bus really, I just HATE it on the way home from school so opt for a half-hour walk instead if I need to make my own way back. I rarely get the train so I find it quite exciting when I do, not very good with train routes but am OK on the tube, which I enjoy getting for the most part, again because I don't get it that often and it's mainly for days out or concerts.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jan 12 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I hate trains. I can never get a seat by the luggage rack even when paying extra for a 'reserved' seat, there isn't enough room and no one wants to sit with a stranger but you often have to. Buses in the area are quite good though.

Still, glad I've got a car.

This post has been edited by T Boy: Jan 12 2015, 08:00 PM

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 12 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #4
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Stagecoach Fife are abysmal in the North and East of Fife.

St Andrews hasn't been on the rail network in 50 years and where my parents live is served by Scotrail (One train per hour to Dundee/Aberdeen and one to Edinburgh) and Cross Country. The latter aren't awful but the former most certainly are. I really can't wait for the Dutch to take over the franchise from First.

I dislike our local transport network. It should be much better being in the central belt but despite being right in amongst it we're almost like a no-mans land for decent public transport. Car is king here.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 12 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #5
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I'm on the national rail so can get anywhere, especially London relatively easily by going on the train. I prefer to go by plane (#1 most fun mode of transport) but it is very expensive and of course damaging to the environment plus only really viable for long distances (400 miles +)

I hate buses, however the one I used to get home from work after night shifts was really great. The bus driver would stop the bus and wake me up at my stop. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jan 12 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #6
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Brighton actually has really nice and (relatively) clean Buses and the Night Buses run til 4:30 AM so I mostly use those and they're fine.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 12 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #7
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Western Greyhound is DEAD tbh

LITERALLY tbh :=O.o

Taxis so overpriced. Being with no car = f***ed drama.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 12 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #8
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

The bus is fine in Bristol, basicsllt the bus to town or sixth form stops right outside my house (just at the end of the drive), but I always walk to sixth form (cheaper and its exercise). I walk to the local high street or the leisure complex (where there's a cinema, bowlplex, McDonalds, a few restaurants etc.) because they're about 20 minutes and 10 minutes away respectively. So I don't use public transport that often actually, but it's fine when I have to and I do.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 12 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #9
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(SPINUMINATI ADAM @ Jan 12 2015, 09:25 PM) *
Western Greyhound is DEAD tbh

LITERALLY tbh :=O.o

Taxis so overpriced. Being with no car = f***ed drama.gif

Yes, this is generally the situation in the arse end of nowhere. One I've had to deal with myself loads. And Western Greyhound are indeed dire. Never turn up on time, sometimes not at all. And inner city buses, when I've been on them, are quite crowded or I've just ignored them because they've been unnecessary for me (it should be pretty clear that I've never actually been in a huge city for a long period of time where that was necessaary). So no to buses if possible.

On the plus side, the trains around the South West are lovely. I love going from uni to home simply because I'll go past Dawlish right along the sea for about 10 minutes on the way.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Jan 12 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #10
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Like, what if someone really smelly sits next to you? You can't just get up and move seats because rude, and you can't hold your breath because death?

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jan 12 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #11
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(Silas @ Jan 12 2015, 08:08 PM) *
Stagecoach Fife are abysmal in the North and East of Fife.

Quite! The thing that pisses me off most is when the bus drivers just decide to stop for about 10 minutes at a particular bus stop and it's like "erm, i'm en route to work. hurry?"

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 12 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #12
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 12 2015, 09:52 PM) *
On the plus side, the trains around the South West are lovely. I love going from uni to home simply because I'll go past Dawlish right along the sea for about 10 minutes on the way.

Exeter to Teignmouth (past Starcross) is one of the most beautiful stretches of railway in the UK, love speeding along right by the sea.

I enjoy going to Dawlish and always pay a visit to Sticky Fingers or Gay's Creamery. I got my bicycle from Breaking Wind too!

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jan 12 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #13
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I like to avoid public transport where possible but trains aren't too bad. Not a fan the tube though as it can be ridiculously overcrowded at times and you rarely get a seat. Also not big on buses.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 12 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Jan 12 2015, 09:55 PM) *
Quite! The thing that pisses me off most is when the bus drivers just decide to stop for about 10 minutes at a particular bus stop and it's like "erm, i'm en route to work. hurry?"

Totally! The X24 literally never runs on time. If it's less than 15 minutes late it's a bloody miracle.

What gets me the most tho, is that they stop only once in most of the rural towns and villages but once you hit Kirkcaldy or Glenrothes there's a bus stop every 50m! f***ing walk lazy shits!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 12 2015, 10:46 PM
Post #15
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Toby @ Jan 12 2015, 09:54 PM) *
Like, what if someone really smelly sits next to you? You can't just get up and move seats because rude, and you can't hold your breath because death?

Ella mayo laugh.gif

I can see that post becoming someone's sig biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 12 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #16
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

We have Wessex buses here as a smaller company to First too, which I forgot about until Silas mentioned the bus not running on time! They have a route from my town to a town a couple of miles away with a better high street which I sometimes go to, and no joke I legit don't remember the last time I got it and it was anything less than 20 minutes late. Plus they're only every hour and the drivers are virtually always really rude. Luckily first do that route now.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jan 12 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #17
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

I love getting the train wub.gif

I have to get the bus to and from school though and it is the most horrible bus. It is so crowded because it is a single decker bus and in the summer it is so hot and cramped you can barely breathe. There is so much pushing and shoving to get a seat or space on the bus and most of the time the bus drivers are incredibly rude. However it has been fantastic at times. One thing I remember was this old man and a young woman getting into an absolutely massive argument halfway through my journey and the old man kept repeatedly swearing at the woman and it went on for over 5 minutes. There was also an argument between an old man and an old lady at the bus stop once with many sexist comments and everything. The most annoying moment was there was like really bad traffic somewhere so I was on the bus for an hour and late for school. That would normally be great but this was the first (and still only) time I had been about to go on a school trip at my school and I had to sprint to school to get the coach laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jan 12 2015, 11:20 PM
Post #18
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(Silas @ Jan 12 2015, 10:07 PM) *
Totally! The X24 literally never runs on time. If it's less than 15 minutes late it's a bloody miracle.

What gets me the most tho, is that they stop only once in most of the rural towns and villages but once you hit Kirkcaldy or Glenrothes there's a bus stop every 50m! f***ing walk lazy shits!

Ha yeah, that always annoyed me as well. The long road you go up as you come off the Bankhead roundabout and head towards the college - there's about 3 stops there all within about 10 yards of one another. WALK. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 12 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I have a mixed relationship with London Underground, I can't really complain given I'm in easy distance of reaching pretty much anywhere I need to get to by train/bus, but rush hour is still the work of the devil, as is random delays/emergency engineering works. It's quite nice to just sit and listen to music when it's not busy though. This is trains in general, I avoid buses in Central as much as I can, in my experience, it's too cramped and you get a lot of really annoying/dodgy people & CRYING BABIES on there. They're a lot better down around the suburbs of London though.

I was coming back from Holborn station today and there was literally it was like a standing area at a concert when the bands playing the amount of people trying to get in. lovely in the rain as well :/

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 12 2015, 11:31 PM

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Jan 14 2015, 01:35 PM
Post #20
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

I do my very best to avoid public transport.

I go home from Anvers every weekend or so and I try to fix myself a ride home, because I ain't got time for a 3 hours journey, which rarely stays 3 hours and often extends to 4 hours because trains are never on time here.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 08:38 AM