BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CHILD STARS and "uncomfortable sexualisations", 'Elastic Heart', Sophia Grace, Bieber & more
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jan 14 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

In the light of the controversy surrounding Maddie Ziegler's appearance in Sia's 'Elastic Heart' music video there's been a huge spectrum of thoughts around the issue of child stars and their presentation in the media.

This article sums it all up perfectly for me, which states that "The Only Creepy Thing About Pop's New Child Stars Is Us": http://www.thefader.com/2015/01/12/the-cre...ild-stars-is-us

^ well worth a read!

In short(ish)~

2015 is young, and so are its fiercest pop cultural figures so far. In Sia's "Elastic Heart" video, the follow-up to 2014's gigantic "Chandelier," Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler last week reprised her blonde-bobbed role for an interpretive dance-off with actor Shia LaBeouf. Meanwhile, Sophia Grace Brownlee, an 11-year-old girl from the UK turned international popstar, just dropped a red-hot, DJ Mustard-esque track called "Best Friends."

While both performances are remarkable for their fearlessness, Ziegler and Brownlee's achievements are being overshadowed by the uneasiness they provoke, revealing an obsession with how young girls are presented that treads a fine line between protective and creepy.
The article goes on to explore child star, Mara Wilson's experiences of shooting up to fame, and she states that "sexual exploitation is just part of the package" for underage female actresses".

So all this on the female, but i think the most interesting part of the article is when the writer brings in the likes of Bieber and other male child stars who are almost celebrated for acting above their age:

Did anyone question the presentation of 13-year-old Justin Bieber when he started to blow up, appearing in romantically charged videos at the age of 15? Or of 13-year-old Greyson Chance when his Lady Gaga cover went viral in 2010, and he started releasing pop videos the same year?

Scroll through the YouTube comments for these boys' performances, and what you'll find are a whole lot of crude jokes about how lucky they must be with the ladies. We don't seem to fear for young boys in the public eye the same way we do for young girls; at any age, we're more likely to color them as subject rather than object.

You get that with male stars in general though i find; while females acting ~wantingly~ are slutshamed or deemed every other name under the sun, it's not quite the same for the more promiscuous men. Does that start from this early age?

SO all-in-all a lot to digest, but what do you think about Maddie's performance in 'Elastic Heart', or Sophia Grace's grown up antics in 'Best Friends' and do these differ from the treatment of male stars? Are we more protective of females, or is the reverse true and are they actually being exploited and over-sexualised? Do you find any of the above examples uncomfortable?

Discuss ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Jan 14 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #2
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

I don't even get the criticism of Sophia Grace's video, I see no sexualisation in it whatsoever. If somebody sees sexualisation in an 11 year old girl wearing a skirt (which isn't particularly short), then I'd say that says a lot more about the individual. Girls as toddlers wear skirts, it's normal attire for a young girl, just because it's in a music video does not make it sexualised.

As for Elastic Heart, it's a little bit different because the choice of outfit IS more revealing but Maddie is wearing a leotard... that is standard dance attire, so once again, those who see it as sexualised would almost definitely not see it in such a manner if they were to attend a dance festival and are only viewing it in such a way because it's presented in the form as a music video. Personally I find that a bit silly and I always hate the stupid "but they're role models" excuse.

The male/female thing... you just get that in every aspect, it's hypocritical and irritating but that's the world we live in, the sexualisation of females of whatever age in this industry is always scrutinised and criticised a lot easier and more commonly than a male, that's just the way it is.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 14 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo

While i agree there is little-to-no apparent sexualisation points in the 'Best Friend' video, i can maybe see why some parents might have an issue with it. It is essentially a girl wearing a tonne of make-up going out with her friends and singing about how they don't need boys - which is all perfectly fine, but i'm not sure how many parents would actually allow their 11 year old child to walk around a shopping mall with just their friends purely because of the scaremongering stories you hear.

The response to Maddie (not her directly, but the circumstances she is in) is quite upsetting. She is exceptionally talented, with a passion for dance - something shared by so many other girls and boys of her age, and she is showcasing it perfectly. Parents should be embracing her and the video and showing it to their children to inspire them to follow their own passions and talents, not shying away from it. In an ideal world, of course.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 14 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

The parents should stop little children wearing such revealing clothing and trying to look like a $l*t. Let's blame the pop stars of today who they so wish to be like drama.gif sick2.gif

This

1:45 is where he 'starts' drama.gif

Is a guy who is (almost) no doubt a creep ohmy.gif Or creepy is just him unsure.gif

If you recognised him yes he also 'raps' in the Friday music video laugh.gif

He CAN'T PRODUCE

He CAN'T RAP

He CAN'T SING

He CAN'T WRITE LYRICS

He CAN'T USE AUTOTUNE EFFECTIVELY

He IS CREEPY IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER

btw he's Patrice Wilson. No doubt he's illuminati too rolleyes.gif

And it seems we're more protective towards females since they are often the ones raped or harassed whereas men are VERY RARELY 'raped',

But men overracting their age still isn't right, and it isn't so obvious...

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jan 14 2015, 07:01 PM) *
It's weird the way society works though with gender relations. Going a bit deeper here, if a woman comments on a guys abs/muscles in a topless photo, nothing is really seen of it. Yet if a guy does the same with boobs/bum there's a darker sexual connotation often inferred.

Exactly. I was playing Harry Potter POA for PS2 and when you play has Hermione she is allowed in BOTH DORMITORIES and Harry and Ron allowed only in boy's? WTF????

This post has been edited by SPINUMINATI ADAM: Jan 14 2015, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jan 14 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

It's weird the way society works though with gender relations. Going a bit deeper here, if a woman comments on a guys abs/muscles in a topless photo, nothing is really seen of it. Yet if a guy does the same with boobs/bum there's a darker sexual connotation often inferred.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 14 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

WHAT is that first video, Adam? laugh.gif

Have no idea how to respond, except mashed potatoes on my table music.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 14 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Jan 14 2015, 07:02 PM) *
WHAT is that first video, Adam? laugh.gif

Have no idea how to respond, except mashed potatoes on my table music.gif

It is awful. It also holds the record for smallest likes over dislikes for a YT music video laugh.gif (even worse than Friday laugh.gif)

It has a ratio of 0.14, meaning only 14 of 100 people actually like it!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jan 15 2015, 07:35 AM
Post #8
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

It's all very 'No Doubt - Just A Girl'.

The 'Elastic Heart' video is stunning. And if they are focusing on if it's sexualization of a minor, they are really just missing the point all together. People just want to bitch about something all the time. It's so ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Jan 15 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #9
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jan 14 2015, 07:01 PM) *

I'm not sure what listing one of the near infinite types of gender bias contributes to this topic. Gender relations is a ridiculously deep subject.

It is interesting to look at how people respond to people like Justin Bieber versus girls. I've not seen the 'Elastic Heart' video and have no intention of looking at the 'Best Friends' one either but from the descriptions I don't really see any sexualisation. If there's anything to complain about with the Sophia Grace video it's that it reinforces ideas of beauty (i.e very heavy makeup) in an age group that people traditionally enjoy not having to worry about that stuff as much. I don't think that video's issue is a matter of sexualisation but a matter of body-consciousness - who wants their 10 year old daughter thinking it's necessary to spend excessive time and money putting on makeup? There's about a million angles you can take with stuff like this because I find with stuff like gender issues that essentially every viewpoint is both progressive and violently sexist if you look at it in the right way, but ideally I think anything that reinforces the already far too dominant idea that girls have to wear makeup to go out in public should be seen negatively.

As regards the different responses to boys/girls I think it's frankly bizarre to bring misogyny into it. It is literally just an issue of the public's perception of sexual predators. When people think of a sexual predator they think of a heterosexual adult male. The archetypal paedophile will have no interest in Justin Bieber, but they will in a young girl, so people are uncomfortable with young girls being exposed to that threat.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 15 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #10
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

The stuff that went on with Bieber didn't go away either. It's kinda switched over to Austin Mahone now.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 15 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Blank Slayberry @ Jan 15 2015, 06:22 PM) *
The stuff that went on with Bieber didn't go away either. It's kinda switched over to Austin Mahone now.

But he's 18 now tongue.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 15 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #12
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SPINUMINATI ADAM @ Jan 15 2015, 10:37 AM) *
But he's 18 now tongue.gif
His career started in 2012

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 09:58 AM