BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Musical taste and opinions, What defines good and bad taste?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephCarey
post Jan 14 2015, 11:01 PM
Post #1
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I was just browsing a forum I used to visit regularly, a Doctor Who forum (don't judge) with a member-base that has a very different taste in music on the whole compared to Buzzjack, perhaps more "credible", but I noticed a topic on there about musical taste and whether it's all actually a matter of opinion or not. I was quite disappointed to see that the opening poster came across to me as what I'd call a music snob, someone who basically judges others for their music taste and labels pop bands like Girls Aloud, an example given in their post, as "tacky", saying that anyone who prefers them to AC/DC must not know a lot about music.

Personally, I cannot stand this kind of attitude towards music and music fans. Obviously you all know I'm a huge Girls Aloud fan and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd take their music over AC/DC, but is this "bad taste"? I don't think so at all but it seems others judge based on how credible one's taste is. Is my own taste that credible? No, I like a lot of """"tacky"""" pop bands, and whilst I accept that AC/DC are perhaps more credible and influential etc., I think it's wrong to essentially say you *should* prefer them on that basis.

This is the portion of their post that I am referring to:

If someone has a completely different taste in music to you, does that effect your relationship with them? For me if someone prefers a tacky pop band like Girls Aloud to say AC/DC I find that very sad and believe they don't know much about music. It would be like going to an steak house and asking for beef burger and chips, is it not? Or like those British tourist who go to McDonalds when they are abroad rather than eat something local. You know what I mean?

So what defines "good taste" and "bad taste"? I'm interested to see what a different user-base thinks of this kinda topic. It ties in with one of the most awful terms I've seen from these types of music fans - "real music". UGH.

Anyway, DISCUSS.

(I hope this is all clear enough lol)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jan 14 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #2
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,421

I started reading this agreeing with what you said as taste is completely subjective and whether something is credible or not should not impact how much you enjoy that music. But that quote, bar the tacky comment towards Girls Aloud, is so true! Although I'm kind of viewing it in a 'mainstream/charts vs. other music' way rather than credible or not. Personally I find there is so much variety in music that to stick with 'what you know' is the same as those equivalents that poster gave us. Although the same applies the other way that that poster is probably missing out on some tunes because of his snobbery!

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 14 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Kl▲mzee @ Jan 14 2015, 11:08 PM) *
I started reading this agreeing with what you said as taste is completely subjective and whether something is credible or not should not impact how much you enjoy that music. But that quote, bar the tacky comment towards Girls Aloud, is so true! Although I'm kind of viewing it in a 'mainstream/charts vs. other music' way rather than credible or not. Personally I find there is so much variety in music that to stick with 'what you know' is the same as those equivalents that poster gave us. Although the same applies the other way that that poster is probably missing out on some tunes because of his snobbery!

Oh you're absolutely right, I think the worst thing you can be as a music fan is close-minded, I know I've definitely become more open to different artists over the past few years that I wouldn't have bothered with before, not that my music taste is particularly eclectic in any way but it goes to show that you really do miss out if you don't try different genres and artists out.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jan 14 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #4
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Wouldn't trust anything that guy says anyway, he used 'effect' rather than 'affect'.

I don't really think there is such a thing as good or bad taste in music, as everyone's taste is so different! Music snobs really are the worst though.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 14 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #5
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

"Real music" is one of the most infuriating phrases in the English language.

The world would be so boring if eveyrone liked the same thing. I cannot stand when people just listen to dance, rock or even pop and dismiss EVERYTHING else, without even listening a lot of time, just because of who it's by. I like to be as open minded as possible and listen to as many different genres as I can, I'd hate to miss out on good music because of being closed minded. If you listen and don't like it, fair enough, but that doesn't make it "worse" or less worthy of attention than anything you do like.

Same goes for Tv and film, I hate when people have to say "OMG YOU CANNOT SERIOUSLY WATCH THAT RUBBISH". Yes, I do watch Big Brother and Hollyoaks for example, a lot of "highbrow" TV bores me and it just happens to be my interest. There are enough channels for you to just completely ignore its existence and watch something you prefer, just like there are enough musical acts for you to go and listen to something else rather than complain that a certain act is tacky, manufactured or whatever.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 14 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #6
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Ugh, music snobbery is such an ugly thing. If your taste is so much better and more valid then be content in that and stop trying to diminish those of others for no good reason. The thing works both ways though, with lots of fans of ''tacky'' music pre-judging ''real'' music and acting like it's garbage too. People like what they like, I don't really see how anyone can derive a sense of superiority from it, or why they even feel they need to do so.

I like a lot of utterly tacky pop, I like some ''real'' music, I like lots of stuff in between. Good music is good music, surely THAT is what is more important about this. Being blinkered either way is pointless and limiting and I don't see how that can be grounds for any form of superiority (although of course I do fully understand that the narrower the focus, the more liable individuals are to derive superiority over others, it's just stupid).

I think it's an age thing as well, most people in their early teens are only exposed to chart music, or music from their parents and then as they grow their tastes develop as they actively seek out new music and either forge their own musical identity or simply discover that there's a massive world of music out there and you don't have to be limited by genre or credibility if you so wish.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 14 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jan 14 2015, 11:15 PM) *
"Real music" is one of the most infuriating phrases in the English language.

The world would be so boring if eveyrone liked the same thing. I cannot stand when people just listen to dance, rock or even pop and dismiss EVERYTHING else, without even listening a lot of time, just because of who it's by. I like to be as open minded as possible and listen to as many different genres as I can, I'd hate to miss out on good music because of being closed minded. If you listen and don't like it, fair enough, but that doesn't make it "worse" or less worthy of attention than anything you do like.

Same goes for Tv and film, I hate when people have to say "OMG YOU CANNOT SERIOUSLY WATCH THAT RUBBISH". Yes, I do watch Big Brother and Hollyoaks for example, a lot of "highbrow" TV bores me and it just happens to be my interest. There are enough channels for you to just completely ignore its existence and watch something you prefer.

You summed it all up perfectly for me. People have always told me I'm "wrong" for preferring One Direction to The Beatles (sure, the latter is more influential/credible and I wouldn't argue otherwise but give me 1D's music over theirs any day), but where is the fun in debating different opinions if you're just told that you're wrong?

I think the phrase "each to their own" sums it all up really.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 14 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #8
don't lose your way
Member No.: 12,929

Real music is life.

But seriously, coming at this from an angle probably quite a bit different to a lot of you - do I think that these guys are being intolerant and snobby by saying this? Absolutely. But I can see why they are saying it and to an extent I agree with them. There are many different factors that come into someone liking a musical track - the track's background is one of these, the combination of the instruments used are another, more interesting instruments or just guitar strumming can sometimes suffice for the more basic of 'real music' people, although many of them are into more than that, the talent of the musician, both what they show with how they work their instruments and whether they write their own music is a third. On songs from people like these I can sometimes feel the artistry. Not all, the sound of the music remains the most important thing for me, but credibility is something you can feel in music and these people are after that. That's how you get a perceived objective spectrum in a completely subjective field.

They don't want anything manufactured, they don't want anything that they see as being fed to them, and what's important is that they aren't naturally pop fans, they may like the odd track or two, and call it a guilty pleasure, but think what some here do when they dislike a lot of what's in the charts. Now imagine disliking nearly all of it. At least the tracks one would be exposed to without one going looking for them. You would rebel and see yourself as superior to those who are just taking what's in front of them, which is probably true for a lot of people who just don't care about music and just like whatever pop tracks sound nice to them.

I don't think they're trying to change the minds of pop fans and I don't think they've considered the possibility that you guys (like you, Joseph) actually exist, if anything they're trying to galvanize people into being more interested in music and targeting the ones who lap up any old shit.

Though of course I myself very clearly adhere to the 'what I like I like and that's that' policy. Which explains why I have disputes over music taste with nearly everyone I know eventually.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jan 14 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #9
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 14 2015, 11:18 PM) *
People have always told me I'm "wrong" for preferring One Direction to The Beatles

the memories

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 14 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #10
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jan 14 2015, 11:15 PM) *
Same goes for Tv and film, I hate when people have to say "OMG YOU CANNOT SERIOUSLY WATCH THAT RUBBISH". Yes, I do watch Big Brother and Hollyoaks for example, a lot of "highbrow" TV bores me and it just happens to be my interest. There are enough channels for you to just completely ignore its existence and watch something you prefer, just like there are enough musical acts for you to go and listen to something else rather than complain that a certain act is tacky, manufactured or whatever.

I will admit to being slightly guilty of this with TV, but not from the point of view that I feel my taste is BETTER than that of someone else, but rather I find ''trash'' TV to be utterly boring because by and large it is scripted and false (which is obviously true of non reality TV, but by it's very nature that is a given) or for stuff like Big Brother it just shines a light on the worst aspects of humanity and people playing up to a certain stereotype for a quick minute of fame. Ie. it's more my issue with the ''celebrity'' culture than anything else.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 14 2015, 11:24 PM
Post #11
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Jan 14 2015, 11:22 PM) *
I will admit to being slightly guilty of this with TV, but not from the point of view that I feel my taste is BETTER than that of someone else, but rather I find ''trash'' TV to be utterly boring because by and large it is scripted and false (which is obviously true of non reality TV, but by it's very nature that is a given) or for stuff like Big Brother it just shines a light on the worst aspects of humanity and people playing up to a certain stereotype for a quick minute of fame. Ie. it's more my issue with the ''celebrity'' culture than anything else.

That's fine as you have a reason, and admit it doesn't make you better, because just as I don't like some tv shows not everyone likes what I watch. I just cannot stand when, just as has been said here about music, people imply or assume they are "better" because they watch BBC4 or war dramas or Breaking Bad or whatever laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 14 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #12
don't lose your way
Member No.: 12,929

Honestly, anyone who says or implies they are 'better' that somebody else for liking a certain piece of entertainment and wholeheartedly means it (it's entirely possible that they don't and are just emphatically stating their love for something) isn't a particularly open-minded person and are just as lost as the 'sheep' they're trying to correct.

I would never watch most reality TV, it isn't my thing, and sometimes some part of my soul wishes it wasn't so popular so more TV I like could have primetime slots but then that's just me being selfish and not thinking people who watch reality TV are lower forms of human or something - if you watch or listen to what you like, I'm not going to persuade you otherwise.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Jan 14 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #13
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Who cares if someone prefers One Direction to The Beatles? If people judge you on music taste, they really need to get a life.

I can't stand Madonna. When i tell people this they say i must hate pop music. No it just means i can't stand Madonna so please f*** yourself sleep.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 14 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #14
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Quite a difficult topic it has to be said.
I think the more varied your taste is the better. I like many genres (faves are electro/dance, pop, rnb and rap) so I reckon if I show my library to everyone each person I bet will have liked and hated at least one track tongue.gif

I admire the mix of tastes on BJ. It's what makes it so great! (Although not always mixed thoroughly for several mins laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jan 15 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #15
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

You're all talking NONSENSE and people who watch Eurovision VERY OBVIOUSLY ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 15 2015, 12:59 AM
Post #16
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I agree that musical snobbery/judging others for their music taste is really awful and half the time it's just some self-empowerment thing from some pathetic person anyway.

Though, like Klumzee said, I do find musical closed-mindedness worse, like people that dismiss a whole certain style of music and thus never listen to it or who instantly dismiss an entire artist's output and has made up their mind about a song before they've ever heard it, there are certain styles of music I'm not keen on, likewise artists, but I listen to everything with an open mind, something which I sometimes don't think some people do and it annoys me that people are this restrictive with their tastes. I just hate when I can predict someone's opinion on a song instantly, and even moreso when I have it confirmed. I just fail to see how someone can honestly say they dislike a ENTIRE genre/artist's output without at least some elaboration or open-mindedness.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 15 2015, 01:45 AM
Post #17
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I think I can relate. On another music board, I've seen people get slammed becaus they like, God forbid, Katy Perry or Pitbull. I was almost brainwashed into thinking that both were these blatantly horrible human beings. (Didn't stop me from liking "Fireball" and "This Is How We Do" teehee). But yeah, I do agree that tastes in music shouldn't affect a person's relationship. It's rather idiotic and pointless, tbh.

And yes, Buzzjack peeps, you guys are more open-minded, music-wise.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jan 15 2015, 02:17 AM
Post #18
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

Lol straight people are silly. Call me when AC/DC has something as infectious as "Biology" in their discography.

But, on a serious note. I hate music snobs, and they all tend to hate pop music. Therefore I hate them and strongly disagree with them existing, etc.

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Jan 15 2015, 02:48 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

Honestly I've been exposed to that mindset for as long as I've been going on forums (so, since I was 12), and I've gone through so many musical phases since then that it's literally a shock to be reminded that that mindset still exists and has literally not evolved in eight years.

I don't know, you just gotta ignore those people because it's their conscious choice to close themselves off to chart pop, and as long as they do that then they'll hear what they want to hear in the music and see what they want to see in the fans themselves. It's less about you and your taste than it is about their senses of self in the end.

I've just surrounded myself with people online who are heavy into like, Swans and Carly Rae Jepsen in equal measure because they're a lot more fun to talk to.

This post has been edited by dhwe: Jan 15 2015, 03:04 AM

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 15 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #20
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 15 2015, 12:59 AM) *
Though, like Klumzee said, I do find musical closed-mindedness worse, like people that dismiss a whole certain style of music and thus never listen to it or who instantly dismiss an entire artist's output and has made up their mind about a song before they've ever heard it, there are certain styles of music I'm not keen on, likewise artists, but I listen to everything with an open mind, something which I sometimes don't think some people do and it annoys me that people are this restrictive with their tastes. I just hate when I can predict someone's opinion on a song instantly, and even moreso when I have it confirmed. I just fail to see how someone can honestly say they dislike a ENTIRE genre/artist's output without at least some elaboration or open-mindedness.

This basically sums up my entire stance on the issue. Yes, snobbery is a horrid trait to possess, but so too is close-mindedness. You see it far too often on the forum - though this is a concentrated sphere of musical opinions, so it does become exaggerated.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:37 AM