BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Police defend using black teenagers' mug shots as targets
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jan 16 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

A Florida police department is under fire for using African-American suspects' mug shots as targets.

North Miami's chief of police has defended his members' practice of using the mug shots of black teenagers as target practice, saying the department's policies were "not violated". Police chief J. Scott Dennis said the practice is essential for "facial recognition" and insists the target was created at random.

Valerie Deant, a sergeant in the National Guard, was reduced to tears when she visited a Florida shooting range only to see her brother's image riddled with bullet holes. Woody Deant was arrested in 2000 for drag racing at the age of 18. The family are now seeking legal advice.

Full story: http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/01/16/1...hots-as-targets

Do you think the police chief here can defend the use of only black teenagers as targets in their shooting practice?

I think the most baffling thing i find in all of this, is that they actually use REAL photographs of people. I had always assumed it was mocked up faces or just shadows? Either way, pretty controversial stuff and wholly insensitive. Do not buy that the pictures were chosen at "random" like the chief says.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jan 16 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #2
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Even if it was randomly generated you'd THINK they'd have the self-awareness to think 'hey, this might be controversial if anyone finds it'.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 16 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #3
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Slight anecdote, I watched the first Harold and Kumar movie a couple of nights ago and the scenes with the racist cops remind me of this, except not so much a laughing matter as it was back then. Is this sort of thing not why most targets are either just target boards or just silhouettes? Even in the army, where people are actually training to shoot at people.

Cops should be in ideal situations not be shooting at people. I know culturally I'm a world away from this sort of thing (as my true feelings are 'ban guns' but that wouldn't go down well in America at all) but there's just too much room for error with cops who are training by shooting at pictures of teenagers. These people are supposed to be keeping the peace.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 16 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Yeah of course there is the whole debate about whether they should even be shooting with such readiness anyway, but that's a debate for another day.

Sets out a horrifyingly wrong message for all those that look up to the police there for support, not only just from the black teenagers of the community (but especially them). How protected are they supposed to feel seeing this?

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 16 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say this is shocking, but...I've sadly come to expect this from the US Police department sad.gif

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Jan 16 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Aside from how much it amuses me that 9News are the ones horrified by this, this story is vile. There's no need for them to be using actual faces during target practice. As far as I was aware it was actually standard practice in the USA for law enforcement to be taught a tripple tap that focuses on the heart. They are specifically taught to target the torso because it's a much larger and easier target to hit than a head, especially when it's moving.

This shouldn't have been happening and none of those involved should be allowed to carry a police badge, never mind a firearm.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jan 17 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #7
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

this is awful but 'some US police are racist' sadly isn't surprising news.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 03:05 AM