BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stephen Fry, homosexuality and age gaps, thinly veiled homophobia?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
jjake
post Jan 16 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #1
jenny from human resources
Group: Members
Member No.: 47

as i'm sure most of buzzjack will be aware stephen fry has got engaged to a man considerably younger than himself and it has created much talk in the media. i was wondering what everyone's take on it was?

particularly as the daily mail have published this article today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...tephen-Fry.html

essentially desecrating fry's name and character. why has such an approach not been taken with other famous couples with notable age gaps (calista/harrison, zeta/douglas) is it a sign of an underlying homophobia in the right wing press or is this just the reality of the social media generation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 16 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

cynicism, ageism perhaps, but I don't see any homophobia in the article, though they both would be entitled to turn round and say, tough, if it works for us what's it to you. As would anybody falling in love....

+Quote Post
Leonardo
post Jan 16 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,502

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 16 2015, 08:42 PM) *
cynicism, ageism perhaps, but I don't see any homophobia in the article, though they both would be entitled to turn round and say, tough, if it works for us what's it to you. As would anybody falling in love....

Outside his main concern being that marriage should be between a man and a woman?

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 16 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Leonardo @ Jan 16 2015, 08:50 PM) *
Outside his main concern being that marriage should be between a man and a woman?

oops must have missed that bit. He went on at length about the age thing and I got bored reading it towards the tedious end...

Hmmm well, the marriage thing, that might be him being politically correct in other ways (he claims to be gay-friendly) but being one step too far for him. Benefit of the doubt, he said he came round to civil partnerships eventually so maybe society (or perhaps Daily mail staff) will get used to marriage too.

If not, it's in the Daily Mail anyway, they have little of value to say about anything much.

Of course that's a terrible blanket statement on my part as I can't possibly have read every newspaper they have put out. I'll just have to take that chance and stand by it though... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 16 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

There were a lot of snide remarks when they announced their engagement and I got a definite sense that some people would not have said the same about a man marrying a woman 30 years his junior. If they had both been ten years younger (47 and 17), it might have raised rather more eyebrows regardless of gender.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 16 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

It's OK I just found out the reason - they must have viewed an advance copy of previously recorded QI for tonight in which Stephen Fry infers The Daily Mail is something that comes out of the botty....

No love lost there then...

+Quote Post
jjake
post Jan 16 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #7
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

it's not exactly the sort of response you expect from even a tabloid newspaper. how petulant and perfectly sums the mail up in one, continually proving it is the spiteful nasty negative paper and a reflection of everything wrong in the uk

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 16 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 16 2015, 10:34 PM) *
It's OK I just found out the reason - they must have viewed an advance copy of previously recorded QI for tonight in which Stephen Fry infers The Daily Mail is something that comes out of the botty....

No love lost there then...

A perfectly-timed programme tonight with the mention of the world's longest-living person on the very day it was announced that the lodes living Briton had died.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 16 2015, 11:39 PM
Post #9
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Well as long as they're both happy and both legal age I don't see anything wrong with it! The age gap doesn't matter IMO, you love the person they are. Though of course it's very common for people to be a bit uncomfortable with such a gap.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jan 16 2015, 11:42 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

They look a bit odd together as a couple, but I echo the comments above that they've not done anything wrong, they're happy and the media should really get over it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 04:48 PM