BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SMOKING in cars banned, & standardised packaging introduced...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jan 22 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

The Government will bring in legislation to introduce standardised plain cigarette packaging before the end of this Parliament, health minister Jane Ellison has announced.

The ban on smoking in private cars with children will come into force on October 1 of this year, the minister also announced.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-01-21/...rce-in-october/

New laws coming into place from as soon as October this year, and a rebranding of cigarette packaging is imminent too. Branded cigarette packaging is to be banned in 2016 with them being sold in "bland, plain packaging instead from May 2016".

Do you agree with the legislation, particularly for the protection of children's health? Or is it a step too far in terms of restricting freedom in private spaces...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jan 22 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #2
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Good luck enforcing that.

It's a step in the right direction, but think it will be quite hard to control.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jan 22 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #3
ya ya ya i am lorde
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,397

Its f***ing annoying when drivers smoke. It usually means opening the window and if you are sitting on the backseat, its not that nice. I say go 4 it government! And good move with the plain packaging.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Jan 22 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #4
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

I don't understand the plain packaging. I get that the bright coloured packets 'appeal' to young children but in supermarkets now they HAVE to cover up the cigarettes anyway, and I believe smaller shops will have to soon as well. So I don't really see the point in that.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 22 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jan 22 2015, 07:44 PM) *
Good luck enforcing that.

It's a step in the right direction, but think it will be quite hard to control.

I wonder if anyone can find statistics for how strongly they enforced the ban on using a telephone whilst driving, or how effective it was for road safety. To be fair this ban should have coincided with that, because away from the obvious dangers of second-hand smoking, there's also the fact that your hands are less free to steer, lol.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 22 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #6
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe this will encourage smokers to cycle to work [/wishful thinking].

Well actually, no, I don't want a load of wheezing people coughing loudly, spluttering, smelling foul and polluting my fresh air actually speeding past me on my cycle in to work and making me look even more unfit!

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Jan 22 2015, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 22 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I sadly think this will be one of things that's kind of hard to enforce and people will just do anyway, but it's a step in the right direction. Fair enough smoke in your home/garden, do what you want to your own body if you must even though you're aware of the damage it does, but I hate how people smoke in their car with people, or when people are near.

We were talking about all of this in our lesson psychology lesson earlier, as we study addiction as part of the A2 spec. My teacher showed this horrible video of a human artery being squeezed, and where it was so clogged the fat and god knows what that came out just looked that mashed potato puke.gif Nobody in my class smokes but it was a very affecting video imo and something like that would make a terrifying but maybe effective ad campaign,

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 22 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

cigarettes are evil, addictive sticks of misery and continue to bring ill-health and early deaths to hundreds of millions and unhappiness to those who have to indirectly deal with the consequences of it. Plus it's unpleasant for others having to breathe it in (yes that'll be me dealing with all of the afore-mentioned)

No different to any other harmful addictive substance, just takes longer to damage.

Sorry to smokers who feel their right to do what they want is being taken away. Children have a right not to have their lungs polluted by inconsiderate parents. So yes I'm in favour.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jan 22 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #9
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Jan 22 2015, 07:52 PM) *
because away from the obvious dangers of second-hand smoking, there's also the fact that your hands are less free to steer, lol.

there's a bit of a difference between having a cigarette between two fingers and still being able to control the wheel with your hand, and having a mobile phone in your palm therefore unable to control the wheel with your hand.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jan 22 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #10
ya ya ya i am lorde

I also never really got why it was so necessary to drive and smoke anyway. Do you not have self control to smoke before or after the trip?

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jan 22 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #11
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Self control isn't really a STRONG SUIT of addicts to be fair ~

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 22 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #12
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

My teacher told me about her friend who was flying to Australia and couldn't go without smoking, he had to stop in Spain and then India for a smoke, and didn't care he had to pay extra! I guess until you are a smoker you don't know the desperation some of them have to achieve that dopamine fuelled "high" again.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Jan 22 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #13
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Jan 22 2015, 08:05 PM) *
there's a bit of a difference between having a cigarette between two fingers and still being able to control the wheel with your hand, and having a mobile phone in your palm therefore unable to control the wheel with your hand.

What about lighting it or do you have magic self-lighting cigarettes in Central Fife? To light a cigarette takes concentration away from driving. A split second lapse is all it takes to kill the 3 year old that just wandered out in front of your car...

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jan 22 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #14
ya ya ya i am lorde

As far as I know you cannot smoke without actually touching a cigarette at some points in time with your hands. Regularly.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 22 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ Jan 22 2015, 07:50 PM) *
I don't understand the plain packaging. I get that the bright coloured packets 'appeal' to young children but in supermarkets now they HAVE to cover up the cigarettes anyway, and I believe smaller shops will have to soon as well. So I don't really see the point in that.

Some of the plain packaging that are out there atm are fairly gruesome though. It admittedly won't do much to stop regular smokers, but having these in the shops may put very young children off of purchasing one for the first time and...well, it's somewhat hopeful what to believe it will stop them from starting altogether, but I still think Plain Packaging is a step in the right direction.

Dunno how it's tooken this long to ban smoking in cars with young children, hard law to implement, but something that should have been done a long time ago and apply to every car. It's more acceptable than drinking, eating or talking on the phone while driving.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 22 2015, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 22 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #16
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I think my stance on these issues are well established at this point. Quite happy to see both of these changes coming in.

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jan 23 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #17
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

I basically think they are on the road to making cigs illegal cause like atm the only place you can smoke is on a street or in your own home and i would bet it won't be too long before its illegal to smoke outside full stop.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 23 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Hardly surprising to see that Farage has come out against these proposals. He says that it will lead to reduce tax revenue. In other words, he opposes these anti-smoking measures because he thinks they will work.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jan 23 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Does this smoking in cars ban include E-cigarettes then? I would guess no since you can use them indoors despite the rules against normal smoking, but you've still got one less hand regularly on the wheel so they should really.

I agree with the majority here that this is a good idea. You may think it's going to be hard to enforce but surely no more so than when people use their phone when driving. It's obviously going to stop some/many from doing it and any decrease in chance of car accidents occurring/affecting passengers' health is great.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 23 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 23 2015, 08:01 PM) *
Hardly surprising to see that Farage has come out against these proposals. He says that it will lead to reduce tax revenue. In other words, he opposes these anti-smoking measures because he thinks they will work.

This a man that wants to run the country - getting tax revenue is better than death and increasing burdens on the NHS!! Or more likely trying to corner the smoking voter..

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 09:55 PM