BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> transitioning gender and transsexuals~, bruce jenner and general opinions
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
jjake
post Jan 31 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #1
jenny from human resources
Group: Members
Member No.: 47

as i'm sure many of you will be aware today, bruce jenner has announced that he is in the process of transitioning to become a woman. naturally in the US this has seen him garner a lot of nasty responses. even here in the uk, a much more liberally minded nation the mirror still chooses to run with the headline 'Bruce Jenner 'transitioning into a woman': Live updates as Kardashians star's sex change is confirmed by family sources'. is it right to present such an intensely personal and difficult process as some sort of rolling news story, is it disrespectful? or is this just a case of the modern social media age where nothing at all is private and totally fair game.

also is this more endemic of general attitudes towards transsexuals. gay rights have come a long way but are transsexual rights a million miles further behind? how do you feel about transsexuals yourself?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jan 31 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #2
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

The Bruce Jenner thing is a bit mean and personal but a lot of the tabloid press is quite mean and personal so unfortunately I think it's par for the course.

I consider myself an ally to the transgender community and I'd say that there's still (like with virtualy all minority groups) a long way to go but things are slowly improving.

In short, Trans People Good, Tabloids Bad.

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Jan 31 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #3
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

Is this actually confirmed by Bruce? I'd thought it was just increased speculation.

Unfortunately, I can understand why it's getting so much media attention because it's very unusual for a celebrity to begin a gender transition. Add to that him being a father of very famous children and it's an obvious big news story.

I do think the negativity and nastiness is sad though, especially as Bruce has never seemed to garner any attention himself and it must be a very difficult time anyway. From my very limited experience, I would agree that attitudes towards transsexuals and their rights are way behind gay rights. There still seems to be a lot of ignorance, assumptions and a general lack of acceptance out there.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't know about the documentary - that changes things somewhat and I agree with Rob.

This post has been edited by Noahspike: Jan 31 2015, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Jan 31 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #4
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

I'm pretty sure I've read that he's using his transition in becoming a woman as part of a fly on the wall show (documentary whatever) about himself - so it would seem he doesn't want this to be a private issue, and for that matter, while I don't think this sort of thing should lead to 'rolling news' stories because it should just be something that is accepted, he's clearly wanting to use it as some sort of publicity aswell and therefore I kinda think... well, it's not a problem, if he wants it, then it's not really interfering.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 31 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #5
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Trans rights are still an issue sadly sad.gif I see so many tragic things on Tumblr, like the Leelah Alcorn case... If you don't know of it, then it's a transgender girl who published a suicide note on Tumblr before jumping in front of a truck. All that happened because her parents refused to accept her as a girl, and blocked her from seeing her friends, going on the internet for a while even, just to try and curb it. Even after her death, her mother was insistent on calling her Josh and saying her death was an accident, she wouldn't accept that if she just let Leela be who she wanted she'd be alive still. I don't understand why people cannot understand that gender dysphoria is a mental illness that can only be helped by allowing people to transition to the gender they feel inside. The average life expectancy for trans people in America is something like 30 too, because the horrific attitudes towards them in many places leads to a much higher suicide and even homicide rate, which is shocking. We're in the 21st century...

I agree with Rob about Bruce in a way, but I think it is a bit intrusive for everyone to find out this way rather than with the documentary or Bruce himself telling the world. But if he's shooting a documentary on it there was always going to be a danger that it would leak.

+Quote Post
jjake
post Jan 31 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #6
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

i think sadly there is a total lack of understanding and wanting to understand trans people. i have several trans friends and they've found they struggle to get work in many places other than gay bars. the amount of abuse they experience on the street on a daily basis is unreal. i think a lot of people just assume that they are drag queens which doesn't excuse it one bit either.

i think trans attitudes have a massive way to come, i can't think of a category of person based on everything from race, gender, size, nationality, sexuality that would receive more abuse on average. the depression and darkness that comes with that, i can't begin to comprehend. what bruce is doing is incredibly brave and hopefully this tape will soften attitudes and encourage those hiding to truly be themselves. i feel blessed to be in a world where my university has gender neutral toilets and things moving in the right direction. also great to see selfridges doing away with the their gendered departments for 6 weeks and offering unisex shopping. here's hoping it is the way of the future.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 31 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

One of the problems is that most people son't know a trans-gendered person. Many people also find it hard to comprehend how a person can feel they are i the wrong body. After all, most of us have never had to question our gender identity whereas far more people have experienced uncertainty about their sexuality.

I think things will improve but there is a long way to go. Some of the comments on Twitter when a trans woman appeared on Pointless a year or so ago, were truly awful.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 31 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #8
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,596

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 31 2015, 05:39 PM) *
One of the problems is that most people son't know a trans-gendered person. Many people also find it hard to comprehend how a person can feel they are i the wrong body. After all, most of us have never had to question our gender identity whereas far more people have experienced uncertainty about their sexuality.

I think things will improve but there is a long way to go. Some of the comments on Twitter when a trans woman appeared on Pointless a year or so ago, were truly awful.

Really good point, it's so often the way with prejudices that they're attached to an idea of the 'other' because people struggle to empathise with something they haven't gone through themselves.

I wasn't aware that he was transitioning into Natalie Bennett though.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 18 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,543

Congrats to Caitlyn, I can't wait for her TV series, it should be good!

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jun 19 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

Caitlyn's a hero. I can't even begin to imagine waking up and not feeling my identity being me. I mean I thought it was bad when I ran out of MAC products... but what Trans heroes go through is something else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 04:56 PM