BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Songs you've struggled to identify, Pre-Shazam woes
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Noahspike
post Jan 31 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #1
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

In the days before Shazam (which I still don't have, stupidly drama.gif), have there been any songs you've heard passively and liked but, for whatever reason, were unable to track down until much later? It might be a case of hearing a song on the radio and having a particular melody or lyric stay with you but that not being enough to identify the song's title/artist until you encounter it again by chance. Or maybe there was a song from your early childhood that you forgot about until you heard it years later and only then determined what it was.

The most frustrating case for me was Cherry Ghost's 'People Help The People'. I must have heard a part of it once around the time of its release in 2007 and the chorus melody immediately lodged in my head and somehow stayed there for years! The only lyric I remembered was 'you're homesick', which I Googled whenever the melody came back to me but to no avail. Thankfully Birdy brought the song to my attention in 2011 and the struggle was finally over!

Another one was Ryan Sheridan's 'Upside Down', which was a moderate success in Ireland a couple of years ago. Again, the melody stayed with me but I didn't know anything else about it and as soon as I heard it again on the radio a few months later I wrote down as many lyrics as I could on my phone! I also took ages to track down Mutya Buena's cover of 'Fast Car' on Youtube after hearing it used on a TV show and knowing (and loving) the song but not being able to place the familiar-sounding vocals.

In terms of childhood ones, the lyrics of Savage Garden's 'Truly Madly Deeply' stayed in my brain and I didn't actually identify the song or artist until hearing it again about a decade later (not that I'd tried very hard but still!).

Anyone else have any examples of this?!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jan 31 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #2
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

There is still one I don't know which really irritates me:

It was on the first question on the now music quiz that used be on the website a couple of years ago and it was a female piano ballad that peaked at #7 I think. The lyric was something like you're the one, your not what i'm looking for [or something like that, I don't really remember]. Does anyone know this song?

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Jan 31 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #3
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Jan 31 2015, 04:29 PM) *
There is still one I don't know which really irritates me:

It was on the first question on the now music quiz that used be on the website a couple of years ago and it was a female piano ballad that peaked at #7 I think. The lyric was something like you're the one, your not what i'm looking for [or something like that, I don't really remember]. Does anyone know this song?

Not this, is it?

(be quiet joseph)

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jan 31 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #4
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

SL2's 'On A Ragga Tip' and Les Rythmes Digitales' 'Jacques Your Body (Make Me Sweat)' are both songs I knew and loved for ages but never knew what they were called (not helping that they don't have Google-able lyrics).

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Jan 31 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Major Lazer - Pon De Floor.

Bugged me for YEARS. (But I did find it out before the Beyoncé mutilation).

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 31 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
Kiss - I Wanna Rock & Roll All Night
Enya - Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)
Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right to Party
Daft Punk - Robot Rock
Groove Armada - I See You Baby

All songs I'd heard a lot mainly as background music in adverts or shows, but could never put a name to them. Plus classical compositions like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Lux Aeturna by Clint Mansell & Rossini's William Tell Overture tongue.gif

There's one though that's still plaguing me after the best part of a decade and I STILL can't put a name to it. It's a foreign song I think that has lyrics that goes or sounds like 'na na na na Sorina' but googling it doesn't take me anywhere, it's bizarre as I remember hearing it in the 2000s and seeing the video and I still sometimes hear it now, but...gah, it's annoying me a lot.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 31 2015, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jan 31 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #7
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

So many songs! A recent one for me is Doop - Doop which obviously was tricky to find distinguishable lyrics for! I only found it at the end of last year after seeing it in one of those retro countdown things on here and checking it out after it's come up in conversation many times! Mucho Mambo (Sway) by Shaft is another elusive one.

There is one right now which I'm still confused about, it's kinda Latin pop, sung by a female with an relatively unmemorable vocal and it's Spanish and guitary and it's got a satisfying chord progression? (no idea what it is) but it in an 8 beat count the intonation goes up on the 3rd and 4th beat and goes down on the 7th and 8th beat. I dunno why but I get the feeling of Gloria Estaban or Jennifer Lopez? No idea tbh.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 31 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #8
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

When I was much younger:

First heard this at age 6 in a Chinese restaurant and it annoyed me for ages (until I discovered the internet laugh.gif )

I remember crying to my dad when I was about 5 or 6 crying because the mad was never gonna dance again drama.gif (the man being George Michael I presume laugh.gif )

Oh this track has so many memories. I never knew it's name and identified it as 'track 2 on Kylie album with the pole'... (Fever) My twin sister had identified how to work a CD player before me and I didn't know there was a next and back button. She always put on Can't Get You Out Of My Head and I used to beg her to then put Love AT First Site on because I was obviously unaware or how to work the CD player laugh.gif

THEN I first say the video on the tv screens at an airport and cried to my dad (again) because the people in the video (dancers) were walking away and leaving Kylie her self cry.gif laugh.gif drama.gif

Cringe.

All 3 of these songs I then heard much later and was glad because they caused such trauma in my childhood drama.gif rotf.gif

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jan 31 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #9
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

QUOTE(Robot @ Jan 31 2015, 04:33 PM) *
Not this, is it?

(be quiet joseph)

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif That's the one wub.gif

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Jan 31 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #10
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

^ Yay, glad this thread could help! Another case solved *.*

Every thread has a Silvas lining.

Every thread has a Silvas finding

No.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jan 31 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 31 2015, 05:08 PM) *
There's one though that's still plaguing me after the best part of a decade and I STILL can't put a name to it. It's a foreign song I think that has lyrics that goes or sounds like 'na na na na Sorina' but googling it doesn't take me anywhere, it's bizarre as I remember hearing it in the 2000s and seeing the video and I still sometimes hear it now, but...gah, it's annoying me a lot.

?

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jan 31 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #12
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

tune music.gif

anyone want to help old klumzee out? sad.gif

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 31 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #13
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

LUCIE BEING RELEVANT OMG YES! One of my all-time favourite songs wub.gif (and artists for that matter)

Ultraviolence, she has a new EP out on Tuesday, you should check it out then kink.gif (casually doing my promo, someone has to, as her only stan x)

And to stay on topic, there aren't many that I perhaps wanted to actively seek out, but there are numerous songs that I'd heard on the radio without realising who it was until years later. I'd heard Kanye's Gold Digger for example, and knew of the title, but never put the two together and was a bit like !! when I realised what song Gold Digger actually was laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Jan 31 2015, 06:13 PM
Post #14
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Noahspike @ Jan 31 2015, 04:26 PM) *
In terms of childhood ones, the lyrics of Savage Garden's 'Truly Madly Deeply' stayed in my brain and I didn't actually identify the song or artist until hearing it again about a decade later (not that I'd tried very hard but still!).

Anyone else have any examples of this?!

I had this a few years back with 'Sitting Down Here' by Lene Marlin. Had no clue what it was when radio were hammering it upon release (I was like 11 tbf), but then I heard it on the radio late at night about 7 or 8 years later, I NEEDED to track it down. I wasn't really with it, so wrote down what I thought the lyrics were. Google was no help by ChC came to the rescue. <3

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 31 2015, 05:08 PM) *

I think I know which one you mean, does it sound Italian? If so, it bugs me whenever I hear it because it seems to pop up on adverts a few times a year and I have no idea what it is!

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 31 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ˇbré! @ Jan 31 2015, 06:07 PM) *

?

You have just solved my decade long search cheer.gif (no wonder I couldn't get anything when I googled that lyric laugh.gif )

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 31 2015, 06:27 PM

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Jan 31 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

These were songs from the vaguest memories of childhood years I managed to rediscover (and put a title to) many moons later.

The last of which I have managed to remember than re-forget at least 3 times (including just before adding it in here laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Jan 31 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #17
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I remember when I heard On Top Of The World by Imagine Dragons in the trailer for The Croods, and not knowing what it was called until it got in the top 40.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jan 31 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 31 2015, 06:26 PM) *
You have just solved my decade long search cheer.gif (no wonder I couldn't get anything when I googled that lyric laugh.gif )

If that Daddy Yankee forum had happened then maybe you'd have realised what it was a while back! ohmy.gif

Klumzee I would help but I honestly have no idea where to even begin. Doesn't seem like a song I'd be likely to know.

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jan 31 2015, 06:28 PM) *

Ooh yes this one for me as well! Another completely un-Googleable one.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jan 31 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #19
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I remember when I was young I heard Placebo's 'Pure Morning' around quite a bit and it was regularly used in adverts for TV shows on ITV for example. I really loved it and all attempts to find out over the years were fruitless until I caught an advert for their GH in 2004 and it played a clip of it, so I scoured their singles back catalogue until I found it. It's in my top 5 favourite songs ever.

Another one from years ago which took me a while was 'Jealousy' by Martin Solveig, which is a tune.

+Quote Post
Jester
post Jan 31 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #20
On Hold
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12

Good to see some unknown Eple love. It's used loads on adverts!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:10 PM