BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harper Lee to release 'To Kill A Mockingbird' sequel, "music for us to enjoy"
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Feb 3 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Big news today in the Literature sphere!

Harper Lee is set to release a sequel for 'To Kill A Mockingbird'! 60 years after its initial fabrication, this is a previously unpublished work that she put aside to create her masterpiece instead. It acts as the present day to TKAM's flashbacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31118355
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 3 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Cue 1000s of people who didn't realise that Harper Lee was still alive. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the greatest books of all time, so I'm in two minds about this - on the one hand it's great to have an official companion piece to TKAM, on the other hand it could end up being disappointing. The one good thing about this is that it will finally dispel the myth that the only reason why Harper Lee hasn't written anything else is because the book was actually ghostwritten by Truman Capote.

As for my own reading, I'm currently halfway through "The Bees" by Laline Paul. It's a thriller with themes of political intrigue, class warfare, religious fundamentalism and forbidden love...but the protagonist, and most of the characters, are bees. It's a pretty gripping read so far.

I've got a pile of other books stacked up by my bed, that I hope to get through at some point, including The Casual Vacancy, a Haruki Murakami book, and The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England.

+Quote Post
April
post Feb 3 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #3
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

Oh wow - very unexpected news! I can't wait to read it, To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 3 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #4
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I do not care for To Kill A Mockingbird.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 3 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 3 2015, 06:45 PM) *
Cue 1000s of people who didn't realise that Harper Lee was still alive. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the greatest books of all time, so I'm in two minds about this - on the one hand it's great to have an official companion piece to TKAM, on the other hand it could end up being disappointing. The one good thing about this is that it will finally dispel the myth that the only reason why Harper Lee hasn't written anything else is because the book was actually ghostwritten by Truman Capote.

Ashamed to say i had to check thrice to make sure she was still alive. sad.gif Genuinely thought she'd passed!

I agree about the apprehension of a follow-up. The "original" is so special on its own so i am not sure how anything additional will work with it. I am very intrigued though and will rush out to get a copy as soon as i can!

QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 3 2015, 07:02 PM) *

What do you not care for in it? This isn't you just trying to be all ~edgy~ and against the grain, i hope!

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 3 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #6
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I'm so excited!

QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 3 2015, 07:02 PM) *

mellow.gif

You disgust me.

+Quote Post
April
post Feb 3 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #7
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

To Kill a Mockingbird is a literary classic. I don't understand how you can not care for it? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Feb 3 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #8
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

I'm reading to kill a mockingbird in class at the moment and I am loving it wub.gif
I think I am half way through it so far

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Feb 3 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #9
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This is another book on my to-read list oops, I was in one of the few UK schools/colleges that didn't cover it at all! Still, intrigued about this though (I will admit I didn't actually know she was still writing!) and it's very unexpected, but I don't know how it would work in the sense of being a social commentary like the former when the world's changed a lot since 1960. But I'm really intrigued to see how it works (I'll set myself a goal to read 'Mockingbird' before this comes out!)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Feb 3 2015, 07:20 PM

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Feb 3 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #10
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

I've yet to read TKAM, but I hope to do so before this is out!

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 3 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #11
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 3 2015, 07:18 PM) *
This is another book on my to-read list oops, I was in one of the few UK schools/colleges that didn't cover it at all! Still, intrigued about this though (I will admit I didn't actually know she was still writing!) and it's very unexpected, but I don't know how it would work in the sense of being a social commentary like the former when the world's changed a lot since 1960. But I'm really intrigued to see how it works (I'll set myself a goal to read 'Mockingbird' before this comes out!)

I don't think she is actually still writing. She wrote this before 'To Kill A Mockingbird' was first published and included flashbacks in it. Her publishers decided that those flashbacks would be enough for a novel in their own right, so she wrote those again and fleshed them into the 'To Kill a Mockingbird' we know today.

And the "original" still acts a huge commentary on society today, despite being from the 60's so i'm sure a new release now will in no way dwindle the impact and messages it will likely have.

You should definitely read it! (and then watch the film too tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 3 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #12
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

We didn't do TKAM either, I think some of my friends did but I did Animal Farm mainly in year 9, Of Mice & Men in year 10 for coursework and exams and Never Let Me Go in Year 11.

For A Level it was The Handmaid's Tale and The Bluest Eye as well as lots of contextual reading ofc. And Carole Anne Duffy (drama.gif). Off topic here laugh.gif

But I do need to read To Kill A Mockingbird!

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Feb 3 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #13
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Very unexpected news! (I did know Harper Lee was still alive but it surprises me every time I'm reminded of the fact, it seems like such an OLD book). Read most of the book for GCSE, very slow to start with but gets a bit more interesting once it gets to the court part ~

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Feb 3 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #14
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe this will finally motivate me to read it. Is it really worth all the fuss, or was it the 1960's Fifty Shades Of Grey?

This post has been edited by Toby: Feb 3 2015, 08:23 PM

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 3 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #15
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Toby @ Feb 3 2015, 08:23 PM) *
was it the 1960's Fifty Shades Of Grey?

Please stop doing this to me drama.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 3 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'm absolutely thrilled to hear this news, I always felt it bizarre that Harper Lee never had any other novels published, although it's understandable what with having to live up to the acclaim of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Excellent book, fascinating insight into 1930's society and it was really gripping waiting to find out what the verdict was. Also, REALLY likeable characters, the film adaptation lived up to expectation as well, Gregory Peck was practically exactly as I had envisaged Atticus to be like. Anyway back to the point, I look forward to this new novel, I hope it's even a fraction of how enjoyable 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was for me.

This post has been edited by Jade: Feb 3 2015, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Feb 3 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #17
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

This is going to make me seem willfully ignorant and culturally bereft but I have never read the book, nor seen the film.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Feb 3 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #18
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I adore To Kill A Mocking Bird. I am so excited for this!

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Feb 3 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

The film is awful. The book I don't remember much about other than I did it at GCSE and someone through their copy of the book at the back of my head.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 3 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #20
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

In my top 3 books of all time.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:47 PM