BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Birmingham clubs to BREATHALYSE people before entry, ...and turn away drunkards~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Feb 6 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Pub-goers and clubbers in Birmingham could be breathalysed before getting into the city’s biggest nightspots as police crack down on pre-drinking.

More than 40 bars, pubs and clubs have signed up to the scheme that will see staff armed with “Alco-Blow” tubes on the door.

Anyone found to be already drunk will be turned away in an effort to reduce fights, crime and disorder at the weekend.

Police said the rise of “pre-loading” for a cheaper night out is creating a vicious circle where clubs losing money put on drinks promotions that lead to more drunkenness.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...k-10027765.html

Quite a big deal for club-goers especially because pre-drinking is a big part of the night. I am guilty of going overboard on pre-drinks to save on drinks at clubs and so are most, if not all, of my friends.

I'm out on the weekend so it will be interesting to see this potentially in action (they could be targeting some of the places we will be heading to). On paper it sounds like a clever idea, but in the FB group i am part of, people are planning to either return to the flat for a house party if anyone is refused entry or overload on drinks when we get to the club instead so i'm not sure it will actually work on making people drink more responsibly. The group decision for my lot this weekend is unanimously "risk it".

Do you think it's a good idea to clamp down on pre-drinking and can you see the rationale behind it? Are you a heavy pre-drinker or do you wait to get drinks at the club?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Feb 6 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 66

I think the article actually gives away what this is about. It's about getting people to spend more money in the clubs rather than people drinking at home before hand.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 6 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #3
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I saw something about this happening in York just recently too.

I get where they're coming from but it's foolish to believe that it will work. It's far too expensive to get drunk in clubs every single night out and so a lot of business will be lost.

I don't think it should be a case of if people are drunk because there are different levels of being drunk. If they're wanting to implement breathalysers, then the limit should be high.

From my experience, bars in clubs are still very busy anyway even with everyone pre-drinking.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 6 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo

The limit is apparently "twice the driving limit". I can't see them being too strict with that because it would literally mean around 5 people get in throughout the night laugh.gif

I think they'll probably extend that limit and just be more strict with refusing entry for people that can barely stand or are WAY above what they're supposed to be, which is understandable to be fair. Would be silly for them to refuse entry for people that have had 2 glasses of wine, lol. I'm sure the bouncers will have had more than that anyway!

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Feb 6 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

It's actually illegal to serve alcohol to those already heavily under the influence of alcohol, or at least it is in Scotland, so legally speaking it's pure arse covering.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 6 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Silas @ Feb 6 2015, 05:48 PM) *
It's actually illegal to serve alcohol to those already heavily under the influence of alcohol, or at least it is in Scotland, so legally speaking it's pure arse covering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure of the legality of that here, but it definitely happens and i fully support it. If i was so drunk i could barely function, i'd want the bartender to offer me water and refuse me alcohol no matter how much i harassed them.

This however is so out of touch with what club goers are like and the limit proposed here is so ludicrously low i don't know how they expect people to abide by it. At least in my experiences anyway, but maybe my circle of friends just do it heavier? unsure.gif I would support them turning people away who are too drunk like they do anyway, not those that are just over the limit like they are suggesting it will be like.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 6 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #7
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

Can bartenders be sued if someone they served got into an accident after leaving their bar, like in America?

If so... I agree with this and I think it should be applied here.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Feb 6 2015, 06:13 PM
Post #8
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Yep they do it in my hometown.

End of the day they're still not going to turn away people who are going to spend money if they're largely sober.. it's more for those people that look absolutely hammered. End of the day club prices are a rip off as it is.. £10 entry, and they're shite clubs!!

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Feb 6 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #9
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I'm a really heavy pre-drinker, but it doesn't usually reduce the amount I spend in a club or bar... it just means I end up losing more dignity.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, and if it'll be introduced across the board

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 8 2015, 12:20 PM
Post #10
Henrietta R Hippo

So this didn't happen in the club i went to in the end. It's not really the sort of place to turn anyone away though tbf so not sure about other clubs across the city.

Half wish it DID happen though as the night was ridiculously ~messy~ for me, lost my house keys and only just returned home mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 9 2015, 05:19 AM
Post #11

Be careful Bal!

Alcohol is so widely abused, it's ridiculous. It's a social norm to drink yourself to illness and that really should be addressed in proactive ways. I say this as someone who used to get shit faced on the reg.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 9 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #12
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(toxic_air @ Feb 9 2015, 05:19 AM) *
Be careful Bal!

Alcohol is so widely abused, it's ridiculous. It's a social norm to drink yourself to illness and that really should be addressed in proactive ways. I say this as someone who used to get shit faced on the reg.

I will be the first to admit that i was wholly irresponsible on Saturday night, not just for myself but i was also buying drinks for others too drama.gif i had fun but the repercussions were bad and i do regret going so far. I know you've had a turn around which is so positive to see, and i hope it continues to go well for you. We can all learn something from your attitude, for sure!

I went back to someone's place after the club and he apparently found my keys lodged on the side of the bed so that's one thing recovered. Next to recover is my pride ~

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 9 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #13

It sounds like this was your track for the evening;

And thanks, that's very sweet of you to say.

+Quote Post
casey__
post Feb 10 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #14
equally cursed & blessed
Member No.: 6,654

They do this in Norwich, my friend was refused entry because he was over the 'limit'. So we just went over the road to another club. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jjake
post Feb 10 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #15
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

bal making that ha ha ha impakt

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 01:31 AM