BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Acts that surpassed your expectations
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Feb 8 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So in a complete contrast to the other thread, how about acts that we thought would not do so well.. and the opposite happened instead!

I am expecting some wild suggestions, and I guess for a lot of acts this could be applicable, so as long as there is some thought and rationale behind your suggestions then it's all good.

First one - Mumford & Sons - arguably one of the biggest British bands around the world at the moment. Never did I ever think after hearing their first material, that they would become so huge globally. I always thought they would have middling success and then just become one of those mediocre success with a core fanbase acts. Guess I was hugely wrong!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
April
post Feb 8 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #2
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

Taylor Swift - I never expected her to blow up into the world's biggest popstar!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 8 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #3
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Katy Perry for sure! I Kissed A Girl seemed like the most obvious one hit wonder ever, and then she was big with Hot N Cold plus of course the mammoth second era, and I think IKAG is now like her 4th biggest seller or something?

Also Meghan Trainor I guess, along the same lines. All About That Bass screamed one hit wonder but Lips Are Movin' has done decently too, we'll see if that continues with future singles and albums tongue.gif

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Feb 8 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #4
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

I foresaw Ellie Goulding being a hit for her first era off to back of Sound of 2011 (?) so I'm not sure how well she'd fit here but I never really expected her to do anything more than a successful first album and then fall into insignificance like Duffy.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 8 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #5
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Bastille, I suppose. Having heard Laura Palmer and Overjoyed from BJSC, I didn't see much hit potential there at all - and then Pompeii came along and obviously proved that wrong but before that was released I would certainly have never thought they'd go on to be one of the biggest British bands of the past few years.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 8 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I remember hearing 'Do It Like a Dude' by Jessie J on the radio and thinking it wouldn't translate into a hit, and then the whole Brits thing happened. Then unfortunately she became huge, didn't see that one coming!

+Quote Post
April
post Feb 8 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #7
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 8 2015, 02:11 PM) *
I remember hearing 'Do It Like a Dude' by Jessie J on the radio and thinking it wouldn't translate into a hit, and then the whole Brits thing happened. Then unfortunately she became huge, didn't see that one coming!

Also with Jessie J, I never expected her to get a #3 hit on Billboard + #1 hit in the UK after her second album flopped.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 8 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 8 2015, 02:11 PM) *

I had this song on my timehop a couple of months ago (I'd shared the video to Facebook), I said something like "u might not know her but omg she is gonna b huge watch this space" laugh.gif Liam the oracle tbh.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 8 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #9

Also The Saturdays in a way. After the Wordshaker era bombed I thought that was it, then I thought after On Your Radar that was definitely it laugh.gif I think they probably are done now but who knows?

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Feb 8 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #10
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 8 2015, 02:14 PM) *
Also The Saturdays in a way. After the Wordshaker era bombed I thought that was it, then I thought after On Your Radar that was definitely it laugh.gif I think they probably are done now but who knows?

Yeah I came to say this! 18 singles, 16 of which made the top 20, not bad going at all, way better than I thought they'd do, it wouldn't have surprised me if they vanished after Wordshaker.

+Quote Post
PuppiesAre4Ever
post Feb 8 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #11
i'm a rebel just for kicks now
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

Clean Bandit for sure! I knew a 'breakthrough hit' for them wasn't impossible by any means, but *that* breakthrough hit was a lot bigger than i'd ever imagined

Agree with the Bastille and Mumford & Sons mentions, seems odd how big the latter have become really!

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Feb 8 2015, 02:20 PM
Post #12
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I've loved Zedd since "Spectrum", and I thought that flopping was gonna be it for him. Surprised me even more than Conor trying to break into the US (which happened at roughly the same time). Then "Clarity" came out and you know what happened next.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 8 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #13
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I had Rihanna down as a one hit wonder after Pon De Replay.

This post has been edited by T Boy: Feb 8 2015, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Feb 8 2015, 03:11 PM
Post #14
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Sam Smith - crazy to think this time last year he was just starting out and now hes hopefully going to sweep as many Grammy's as possible tonight! kink.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 8 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #15
Hang in when the world counts you out and youre gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

At the moment, Years & Years. I quite liked Sunlight but didn't think they were going for solo success. Desire isn't bad but I'm quite getting into King.

Also, when I discovered Clean Bandit's Mozart's House, which is almost as good as Rather Be, I never thought they would be seen in the chart again. laugh.gif

EDIT: oops, someone already mentioned Bandit! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by iŋŋiŋğ đɑм: Feb 8 2015, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 8 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Kylie. An actress with a jolly ditty from Stock Aitken Waterman that annoyed if you heard it too much. Then an annoying jolly cover version as follow-up. Destined for obscurity after her 5 minutes of pop fame were up I was certain......

By late 1990 I'd been converted to the cause.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 8 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #17
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

Pink.

Definitely didn't see her becoming such a long term artist with her first album. And then I thought she was fading into obscurity after "Try This" flopped. So, she has definitely proved me wrong many times.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Feb 8 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #18
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

P!nk always flies under the radar a bit when discussions about the "big pop girls" take place, but she's without a doubt one of the biggest there is, incredibly consistent too!

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Feb 9 2015, 06:50 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

I didn't exactly have Charli XCX pinned down as being able to earn three top-tens and a number-one in the US when I first heard "Stay Away" in 2012! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 9 2015, 06:52 AM
Post #20
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

It seems WEIRD that Charli XCX would have a breakthrough only this year even though the first time she got on my radar was in 2008! It seems she persevered biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:39 PM