BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beck vs. Beyoncé, what makes a truly great record? 1 vs. 68 —
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
jjake
post Feb 10 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #1
jenny from human resources
Group: Members
Member No.: 47

i haven't been following closely (as i am totally swamped) but an interesting debate seems to have SPIKED UP on social media i believe kanye, beck and beyonce and the fact beyoncé had 68 people contribute to her record whereas beck wrote and produced his record himself.

does this matter, does it make his record technically better? or does 68 contributors make no real difference? is it all a way of lampooning kanye?

thoughts xxxx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Feb 10 2015, 04:54 PM
Post #2
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I've not really read up on this but responding to what you said there, personally it's not about how many people contributed. Sure, Beck doing his whole album alone is quite impressive, but that doesn't make it technically better as it should be judged solely on the end result for me.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Feb 10 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

It doesn't make his record better, but it does make Kanye's comment about 'respecting artistry' a bit off because regardless of how good Beyoncé's album is Beck clearly had vastly more artistic involvement in his album. But that isn't what the Grammy is supposed to be for so a bit of a moot point.

(Kanye Defence Force note: Kanye has said since this incident that he is actually a fan of Beck and his comments about 'respecting artistry' were aimed at the Grammys and not Beck himself magic.gif)

+Quote Post
dancember
post Feb 10 2015, 05:16 PM
Post #4
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I completely forgot Beck even existed before this, good to see the Grammys not be predictable with everything I guess although I can't imagine myself getting into his music.

The only song I've heard of his is 'Loser' and that's 20 years old now lol

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 10 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #5
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I think it matters in regards to Kanye's comment on artistry. How are you going to tell an artist that plays over 15 instruments to respect artistry? He reminds me of an iTunes chart loon at times, completely impossible.

He makes great music, but he is the biggest twat.

This post has been edited by toxic_air: Feb 10 2015, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 10 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

If "Loser" is all you've heard of Beck, then you're in for a treat when you get to the rest of his stuff. A few assorted goodies -

Having said that, Morning Phase wasn't a great album (it'll take a lot for Beck to match "Odelay" or "Modern Gult"), and Beyonce probably would have made a better winner.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 10 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #7
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

Pharrell overtook Beyoyo in the Rnb album section but no one mentions that! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 10 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #8
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I love "Devil's Haircut" - there is an Open Road weather sensor at Devil's Elbow (off the B6105 between Glossop and Woodhead) which always reminds me of the track.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 10 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #9
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

I think the kind of people who sneer down at pop music for being collaboratively produced are rockist cocks who should have been swept out with the 60s and have outdated and obsolete notions of what artistry is, but there we go. All due respect to Beck, but when was the last time he did anything as revolutionary for the industry as what Beyoncé did? Or whacked out anything as single-handedly killer as Drunk In Love, no matter how many people wrote it? Sorry, was that never? Thought so.

+Quote Post
Oricon
post Feb 10 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #10
bye dinner
Member No.: 12,972

The Grammy award for Album of the Year isn't based on whether an artist has done something revolutionary with something or not though (unless I'm interpreting your post the wrong way and it's for those who criticise Beyoncé for having so many writers/producers for a song compared to Beck).

This whole Beck vs. Beyoncé thing imo has been blown out of proportion really both by those in attendance at the event and by social media.

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Feb 10 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

That argument's been leveled at female pop stars for decades. The idea that someone like Beyoncé who's so embroiled in the "pop machinery" couldn't possibly have a creative bone in her body, or that having complete control over collaborators, producers, or visuals could never produce as valid an artistic statement as some mousy dude plucking a guitar. I like Beck as much as anybody but literally come the f*** on.

This post has been edited by dhwe: Feb 10 2015, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 10 2015, 10:48 PM
Post #12
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dhwe @ Feb 10 2015, 11:00 PM) *
That argument's been leveled at female pop stars for decades. The idea that someone like Beyoncé who's so embroiled in the "pop machinery" couldn't possibly have a creative bone in her body, or that having complete control over collaborators, producers, or visuals could never produce as valid an artistic statement as some mousy dude plucking a guitar. I like Beck as much as anybody but literally come the f*** on.

QUITE!

+Quote Post
Colm
post Feb 10 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #13
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Feb 10 2015, 09:03 PM) *
I think the kind of people who sneer down at pop music for being collaboratively produced are rockist cocks who should have been swept out with the 60s and have outdated and obsolete notions of what artistry is, but there we go. All due respect to Beck, but when was the last time he did anything as revolutionary for the industry as what Beyoncé did? Or whacked out anything as single-handedly killer as Drunk In Love, no matter how many people wrote it? Sorry, was that never? Thought so.

I was agreeing with you the whole way until your last 6 words.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 10 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #14
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

Reverse-rockism is my guilty pleasure.

+Quote Post
April
post Feb 10 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #15
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Feb 10 2015, 09:03 PM) *

Completely this!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 11 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #16

In Beck's defense, Beyoncé's latest record is severely overrated and not very good.

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 11 2015, 02:43 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

the end product is what matters - I was gratified to see Beyonce take my advice to heart (see my Retro reviews for popchartfreak number ones of 2010) when I said she needed a slap for being too safe and a bit disappointing in her solo career (I'm pretty sure it was my advice that tipped the balance laugh.gif ). Beyonce doesn't need a Grammy, so it's nice to see megastars not get the awards. The real winners of any given year can be seen in the year-end sales-charts.

Artistically, that's down to Time to sort out. Pop often gets under-rated, and I've never paid any attention to music industry reviewers anyway, they are just as biased as anyone else and too involved in what's "cool" at any given moment. Today's 5-year-olds will think they are both old hat in 10 years time. teresa.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 11 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #18
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(toxic_air @ Feb 11 2015, 09:03 AM) *
In Beck's defense, Beyoncé's latest record is severely overrated and not very good.

biggrin.gif

Go JUMP OFF A VIADUCT!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 11 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Feb 11 2015, 11:07 AM) *
Go JUMP OFF A VIADUCT!

Let's make it a couples retreat, bb. </3

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Feb 11 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #20
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Grammy material right here ppl

(I actually love '7/11' but lol)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 06:24 AM