BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Do you think Sam Smith deserves his success?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post 19th February 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

In response to the Ed one, I wondered what you thought about Sam. I personally am not a fan of him or his style, his music is bleak and miserable.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th February 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I thought he was going to be one of those faceless vocalists that had a big hit or 2 as a featured artist then the solo career fails to take off. If only that was the case no.gif

+Quote this post
Casey
post 19th February 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,375

No, his voice is shrill and his songs are dull and basic. He was somewhat bearable as a faceless featured artist on dance and pop songs, but that's it. I still cannot get over how terrible "Money On My Mind" is, which is probably why his label didn't pursue an American release of it. He seems too sanctimonious and precocious too.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 19th February 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

More so than Ed. His voice is far more unique and something that doesn't come round too often. It's just a shame he's released some of the most dull, banal music I've ever heard.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th February 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

No.

His music hasn't lived up to the promise he showed on the Disclosure track, he still hasn't released 'Leave Your Lover' and he's even more boring than Emeli Sandé.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th February 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I find this harder to answer than Ed Sheeran as I don't like particularly what he's turned into, but with this material, not a chance. It's dull and repetitive, and doesn't show nearly as much variance or artistic love for his music as Ed seems to show.

He has a great voice, which is why he initially got so much love, but I wish it was used for better things as the insipidity of it all is so prominent throughout that it strips what little meaning there was out of the songs and turns them into background filler that should be far less ubiquitous.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th February 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(► ▲ N @ Feb 19 2015, 06:50 PM) *
I thought he was going to be one of those faceless vocalists that had a big hit or 2 as a featured artist then the solo career fails to take off. If only that was the case no.gif
Ella Eyre deserves the success more sad.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 19th February 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I adored his collaborations but with every new song he releases, I'm convinced he's trying to make it even more boring than the last, which is a shame as he has potential to be so much better with that voice. How a song like Stay With Me won TWO grammies is beyond me, it's so empty. I do feel that he was always destined for big things since his two collabs and then the Sound of... win along with a ridiculously huge push from everywhere and there's something quite unlikeable about his personality as well which makes me not respect him as much as Ed.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 19th February 2015, 09:22 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 19th February 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

oop

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 19th February 2015, 09:19 PM

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post 20th February 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #10
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 19 2015, 09:19 PM) *
How a song like Stay With Me won TWO grammies is beyond me, it's so empty. I do feel that he was always destined for big things since his two collabs and then the Sound of... win along with a ridiculously huge push from everywhere and there's something quite unlikeable about his personality as well which makes me not respect him as much as Ed.

I agree with all of this.

I've never been able to buy into him as everything about him since late 2013 has seemed so obviously orchestrated. The 'male Adele'-esque trajectory he's followed with all the milestones along the way; Sound Of.../Critics' Choice awards, big emotional ballad for album release and its subsequent ubiquity, SNL and the huge promo push he got in America, prominence at the VMAs, Grammy nominations and wins, the upcoming BRITs...it's all seemed incredibly contrived, like there's a solid strategy in place and boxes are being ticked rather than him achieving things more naturally and based primarily on merit. There's always been a distinct lack of substance to 'Stay With Me' and it's annoying to see it get such massive exposure and acclaim as his signature song, especially when he has significantly better material on the album. I also get the sense that he's very much got a public persona for interviews etc. and could be quite different behind the scenes - there's just something quite disingenuous about his personality in general.

So in short, no not really biggrin.gif (though I do like a good few of his songs).

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 20th February 2015, 12:49 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

No, in short.

So dull, bland, uninspired... ANd I hate how he slags off XF etc. to seem all credible but he's happy to whore himself out on them for sales. I am just baffled a panel of people decided he should win FOUR Grammys over the likes of Sia, Taylor Swift and Hozier. I don't even think his voice is that good (on his album anyway), it's very whiny on balalds. I do love Latch and La La La but as it stands he kinda needs to do a Duffy next era.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 20th February 2015, 04:37 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

Yes, he has a big voice and avoid the habit of other big-voice artists to keep yelling in every song.

As for his attitude, I appreciate his straight-talking style and unlike many other artists, what he said is not scripted. If you don't like what he said about gay dating and stuff, get a life.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 20th February 2015, 05:27 AM
Post #13
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

I think he has some extreme talent and a great voice. However, his music is not good enough to warrant the amount of success he has experienced. The best thing he's done is lay vocals on the Disclosure track. Perhaps if he were to release more music like that...

I do really like "I'm Not The Only One", though.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 20th February 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

He deserves to be slapped with a frozen tuna.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 26th February 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #15
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I loved 'La La La' that he was on before it got overplayed. Other than that, not a fan. And I get the distinct impression that what happened to Duffy on her second album will happen to him come album two.

That's the trouble with hitting a peak so early on in any artist's career. If you don't have the grounding and level headedness to keep your head above water, so to speak, when you take a dip in sales or popularity later on, it makes it difficult to get back to that same level of success.

Certain artists have done that, but only a small few. For all the hype I can see Sam ultimately being one of those artists used in a trickier round at a pub quiz come 2020.

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 26th February 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

Definitely - it does annoy me reading criticisms that he has written about a relationship etc when most of the industry do as well!

+Quote this post
torresgirl
post 26th February 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,963

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 20 2015, 03:05 PM) *
He deserves to be slapped with a frozen tuna.

rotf.gif

+Quote this post
torresgirl
post 26th February 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,963

QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 20 2015, 12:49 AM) *
No, in short.

So dull, bland, uninspired... ANd I hate how he slags off XF etc. to seem all credible but he's happy to whore himself out on them for sales. I am just baffled a panel of people decided he should win FOUR Grammys over the likes of Sia, Taylor Swift and Hozier. I don't even think his voice is that good (on his album anyway), it's very whiny on balalds. I do love Latch and La La La but as it stands he kinda needs to do a Duffy next era.

In total agreement with all of this especially the XF stuff!

+Quote this post
jark
post 26th February 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #19
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

Anyone deserves their success if a lot of people are buying their music, because evidently they're enjoying it on some level and you've created a product people want. This topic is absurd.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 26th February 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

He has an incredible voice and songwriting skills... his voice fit into Latch and La La La very well (It only hit me the other day, how little people know that those songs were sung by him), they are both great songs, although his solo stuff is a bit more downbeat, they're still beautiful and well worth recognition, although I wasn't so keen on Money On My Mind.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:39 PM