BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fat Shaming
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Feb 21 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #1
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/26..._n_6546768.html

The basic jist of this story is that Tess Munster, a size 22 woman, recently (about a month ago, but news travels slow in these parts) signed with a major modelling agency, having previously been bullied so badly she was forced to drop out of school in her teens. She's been held up both as an ispirational figure to people who have ever doubted themselves as well as a slew of insults all across social media.

Having been "on the heavier side" all my life, this topic is quite personal to me, so I wanted to know what you all though about how society treats the overweight. Is Fat shaming an actual thing or does it just happen on social media? Do you think it's almost socially acceptable to discriminate against fat people? Are you having that biscuit?

P.S. supporters of the Katie Hopkins theory on fat people can kindly make like Lucy Beale smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
M.
post Feb 21 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

It's pretty awful actually. People should just mind their own business. I have never commented on someone's weight. I mean, people don't always know the reasons behind why the person is overweight, it may be emotional over-eating or whatever, and that's something they can get help for but they shouldn't be bullied because of it.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 21 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I have always been fairly big but not HUGE. I was always made to feel fatter than I was at school which ironically now, I wish I could be at that weight. Slim people discussing why fat people are fat offends me greatly. Unless you've been there yourself and made successful, I don't think your qualified to comment on it. As for Hopkins, she's one of a people I feel sorry for-the ones who think people care about their opinions on everything.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Feb 21 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I don't think people should be bullied for being fat but I don't think it should be acceptable for someone to be the size Tess Munster is.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 21 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #5
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

People are f***ing dicks. The fact we concern ourselves so much on the appearance of others is quite baffling, tbh. If you ain't f***ing me, feeding me or paying my bills you can keep your opinion to yourself.

The ones with the most insecurities are the first ones to name call.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Feb 21 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #6
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

Having been massive all my life there's only one person other than family who hasn't bothered in the slightest about my weight and that's my best friend.

Fat shaming Is disgusting, end of.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 21 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #7
unofficially fabulous

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 21 2015, 08:01 PM) *
I don't think people should be bullied for being fat but I don't think it should be acceptable for someone to be the size Tess Munster is.

How/Why so exactly?

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Feb 21 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 21 2015, 08:45 PM) *
How/Why so exactly?

Because it's not a healthy weight and if we accept it then it's saying it's okay to be that size and that's really not the message that should be put out there.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 21 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #9
unofficially fabulous

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 21 2015, 08:54 PM) *
Because it's not a healthy weight and if we accept it then it's saying it's okay to be that size and that's really not the message that should be put out there.

And do you not see how what you're saying is exactly the problem? You can't tell how healthy a person is just by looking at them or their weight so why are you concerned about somebody being a size 22?

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Feb 21 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 21 2015, 09:03 PM) *
And do you not see how what you're saying is exactly the problem? You can't tell how healthy a person is just by looking at them or their weight so why are you concerned about somebody being a size 22?

You can't honestly believe that when you look at the image at the top, the person you are seeing is healthy? I don't think what I said is part of the problem because I'm not bullying, I'm pointing out that she's not a healthy weight and that for her benefit she should do something about it.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Feb 21 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #11
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

Surely there is a certain weight/size by which you can't be leading a healthy lifestyle with? I dunno if size 22 is that size but it's the same as down the other end of the scale where being anorexic isn't good for you either and certainly shouldn't be promoted as a body shape to love/be proud of.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 21 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #12
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 21 2015, 09:07 PM) *
You can't honestly believe that when you look at the image at the top, the person you are seeing is healthy? I don't think what I said is part of the problem because I'm not bullying, I'm pointing out that she's not a healthy weight and that for her benefit she should do something about it.

It is pretty easy to believe - there are plenty of 'fat' people out there who have perfectly healthy lifestyles, be it what they eat, how much exercise they get, etc. Just looking at somebody and saying that because they're larger than you'd expect they must be unhealthy, they must do this wrong, they must do this wrong and what have you is a vulgar attitude. Who knows what underlying health conditions they have (possibly coupled with whatever medications they take that may result in weight increase) - or any other reason for that matter.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 21 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #13
unofficially fabulous

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 21 2015, 09:07 PM) *

No, I believe I'm not her doctor looking at her test results so I therefore don't know and it's none of my business. From my own experience, having somebody say to you "you should lose some weight, it's for your own good" is extremely rude.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 21 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #14
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

The only people who have any right to say a thing are that person's doctor or the people closest to them. Anything else is just pure rudeness.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 21 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #15
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

People who aren't fat always find it easy to say "lose weight by moving more and eating less" that's what reallt pisses me off. It is nobody else's business what size anyone is. If they're literally like 30 stone and have to have a crane lift them out of bed and need carers to live, yes, but of the national average is something like size 16 so I don't think size 22 is something that's THAT bad at all.

It's so much "worse" for women to be a bit bigger than average in the eyes of society. Like Seth Rogen for example is even a bit of an alternative sex symbol for many tastes, but I can't think of many female celebs who are bigger and have that sort of status.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 21 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #16
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Also while we're at it, the same goes for drugs, tobacco and alcohol before we get DOUBLE STANDARDS DENISE getting her beak out.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 21 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #17
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Feb 21 2015, 09:19 PM) *
Also while we're at it, the same goes for drugs, tobacco and alcohol before we get DOUBLE STANDARDS DENISE getting her beak out.

Thinking about it's actually probably the culture of celebrity (all the celebs who smoke/do weed and are praised, but if it's a regular person they're assumed to be on benefits or whatever) rather than gender but we'll not go there as that's another can of worms laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 21 2015, 09:31 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 21 2015, 09:18 PM) *
People who aren't fat always find it easy to say "lose weight by moving more and eating less" that's what reallt pisses me off. It is nobody else's business what size anyone is. If they're literally like 30 stone and have to have a crane lift them out of bed and need carers to live, yes, but of the national average is something like size 16 so I don't think size 22 is something that's THAT bad at all.

It's so much "worse" for women to be a bit bigger than average in the eyes of society. Like Seth Rogen for example is even a bit of an alternative sex symbol for many tastes, but I can't think of many female celebs who are bigger and have that sort of status.

I heard one of my students once describe me as Seth Rogan without the perm so I'll take that compliment.

But what you've said is completely correct. Does she look unhealthy in that picture? Or do people assume she is because it's what society has dictated? Do you look at her and think 'she looks so unhealthy' or do you think ' Eurgh, why would anyone want to see that?'

I am on a healthy eating drive and I exercise regularly but it is a slow process. I'll never be 'normal' sized because I have a wide frame but I could stand to be quite a bit thinner than I am. It isn't as easy as those graced with naturally slender bodies will have you believe, especially since some of those people eat atrociously. So sometimes I will break down and gorge on a few snacks Everytime this topic comes up.

Besides which the health of an individual is of no concern to anyone else outside of family really. And do people really think youngsters will see that picture, believe it's ok to be big and therefore AIM to reach size 22? If anything, it promotes the fact that if you are size 22, it's not as bad as others make out.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Feb 21 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Feb 21 2015, 09:12 PM) *
It is pretty easy to believe - there are plenty of 'fat' people out there who have perfectly healthy lifestyles, be it what they eat, how much exercise they get, etc. Just looking at somebody and saying that because they're larger than you'd expect they must be unhealthy, they must do this wrong, they must do this wrong and what have you is a vulgar attitude. Who knows what underlying health conditions they have (possibly coupled with whatever medications they take that may result in weight increase) - or any other reason for that matter.

They didn't get to the size they are from always having a healthy lifestyle though. I understand that there will be some cases where health conditions come first and as a result they become fat, but for most it is a case of putting too much in and not enough out. And for someone like Tess, she didn't get as big as she did from just a health condition. One thing is, whether it's now, next week, a few years, she will end up having health problems because there's just no way her body is going to cope with that weight. It doesn't take a doctor with notes on the person to know that.

True, at the end of the day it may not exactly be affecting me and my life but I just don't think glorifying Tess and her weight is a good example at all. There's clothes shops with plus size ranges for children which is outrageous, but if we're pretending that it's okay to be the weight Tess is, then it's saying that's it okay for children to be twice the size they should be.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Feb 21 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(T Boy @ Feb 21 2015, 09:31 PM) *
If anything, it promotes the fact that if you are size 22, it's not as bad as others make out.

THAT'S the problem. Size 22 is already shifting more and more to the norm so people will just get bigger and bigger.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 03:26 PM