BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SKINNY SHAMING
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
RobBob
post Feb 24 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #1
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

It seems a natural progression from the fat shaming topic and also a point that Jark brought up.

While there does seem to be a lot more scrutiny on "fatter/overweight/chubby/whatever" celebrities etc, I think there is definitely a problem with skinny shaming being viewed acceptable. Calling someone fat is the more common insult, yet I think if I were to call someone fat, I'd get a hell of a lot more stick than I would if I was to slate somebody's weight for being skinny, something I strongly feel is wrong.

SO... VIEWS xo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Umi
post Feb 24 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #2
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

Meghan Trainor is the devil.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Feb 24 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #3
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Member No.: 9,403

calling someone skinny doesn't have as much negative connotations as being overweight so it is much harder for it to come across as malicious, which is why it's not as prevalent. mostly because if i was to say to quite a LOT of people i know 'oh you're so skinny' they'd probs be like 'omg THANKS!'

i'd love someone to maybe label some examples of when they've seen skinny shaming occur to them or someone they know so i can get some context on it, being FAR from skinny myself it's not something i've ever had thrown at me! (although saying that my really thin brother hasn't had it either)

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Feb 24 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #4
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I concur with what leww has said, basically. Generally being skinny (at least not anorexic, or seriously health issue giving skinny) is seen as desirable and worthy of adulation and praise, not shaming or scorn. The only places I can think of that do that are misogynistic pits of doom anyway like the DM online, which hates fat women, skinny women and average women equally because of their possession of a vagina.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Feb 24 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #5
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(✖ ketalina ✖ @ Feb 24 2015, 03:24 PM) *
i'd love someone to maybe label some examples of when they've seen skinny shaming occur to them or someone they know so i can get some context on it, being FAR from skinny myself it's not something i've ever had thrown at me! (although saying that my really thin brother hasn't had it either)

When I was younger one of my sister's insults of choice when bullying me was "chicken legs".

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 24 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(✖ ketalina ✖ @ Feb 24 2015, 03:24 PM) *
i'd love someone to maybe label some examples of when they've seen skinny shaming occur to them or someone they know so i can get some context on it

Not sure if this example really counts as shaming towards me personally, but I used to be very skinny when I was younger (but still healthy and never really saw myself as too thin) and I do remember an awful moment one time when I was visiting some relatives and I overheard my grandmother tell my auntie "Look at Mattias, he's so thin, his mum doesn't feed him!" I remember being so angry at the time because it was so untrue as my mum always fed me properly and I did eat well, I just happened to be thin anyway. I felt like maybe I should've said something but I was too scared at the time. Whether or not she actually really meant it, I just felt it was unfair towards my mum. Also I really just didn't see why she would be so worried about it because as I said, I was still healthy.

+Quote Post
JSG
post Feb 24 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #7
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

I've been called anorexic a few times from people that are so called friends but I'm within my healthy weight range but I find it highly offensive myself not only is it rude it's an easy way to make me feel insecure considering I can't put weight on ha.

This post has been edited by JSG: Feb 24 2015, 07:10 PM

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Feb 24 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #8
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

"Do you even eat?"
"He/she must be anorexic"
"Ew being THAT skinny is not healthy"
"You should really gain some weight"

This post has been edited by *Tim: Feb 24 2015, 07:23 PM

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 24 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #9
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

"GIVE THAT BITCH A BURGER"
"SHE ON CRACK"

Etc.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 25 2015, 04:54 PM
Post #10
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I've definitely felt at times that I don't want to be skinny, it is something I can't really help (until my metabolism slows down), and because I'm skinny I feel quite weak and inadequate compared to people who have more.. base muscle to work with. I always used to be called out for my skinny arms and I probably still would if I were around people who wanted to take the piss at all. I don't even have much of an appetite these days so unless I force more food down me to get my metabolism slow down a tad - and start working out, that might be a part of it as well - I will remain skinny.
And skinny men are always looked on as 'weedy', right? I can't think of a reason a girl would find a skinny guy attractive specifically because he's skinny, which isn't true in reverse, apparently at least.

And that leads me onto another point, public perception used to be that you needed to be skinny for so long that we had women potentially torturing themselves with miniscule diets and low calories to achieve the perfect body, yet now that's suddenly becoming out of fashion thing as all this 'real woman, we don't need those skinny bitches' thing comes into the picture, it's not particularly nice to those who've worked hard and perhaps gone a little too far to achieve a body that may now be teetering on the verge of anorexia.

I wouldn't call all of this skinny shaming, and I think I would have more of a problem with my body image if I were fat instead, people on that end of the spectrum do have it worse, but there are several downsides to being skinny and it is as hard to get yourself up to an average body weight from being skinny as it is to bring it down from being fat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 07:11 PM