BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Rise of Aldi & Lidl
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Mar 2 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So just a general thread for everyone, especially with a large amount of students around - how many of you shop at Aldi & Lidl now?

Maybe not a full 'big' shop, but it would be interesting to see whether members of BuzzJack are beginning to shop at the smaller scale supermarkets, with the big 4 losing grip on the market.

Most interesting for me is the changing strategies from the supermarkets to compete with the prices Aldi & Lidl offer.. but the bigger question is how much further can Aldi & Lidl grow?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Mar 2 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265

I'm a deputy manager at Aldi and my store is twice as busy as when I joined 18 months ago. Noticed a lot of old Tesco shoppers have swapped to our store recently.

It is a good company to work for - the pay is good but they do like to work you to the bone!

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Mar 2 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #3
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 126

I buy all my alcohol from there wub.gif so cheap!

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 2 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I don't shop at Aldi because they haven't opened any stores in Northern Ireland yet (although it can only be a matter of time before they do). I'd pop into Lidl every now and again, they tend to get some interesting limited big-price items every now and again that you can get a good price on - picked up a fairly decent vinyl player there for £80 not too long ago. I used to go to Asda as it's usually cheaper, and I used to have a 10% discount as I worked there, but after I left they got rid of 3/4s of the checkouts and replaced them with self-service tills (which are used for the purpose of putting your full shop through, not just 10 items or less, which I can't explain the logic behind), so largely I'm a reluctant Tesco-ite.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 2 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #5
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Mar 2 2015, 03:42 PM) *
I'm a deputy manager at Aldi and my store is twice as busy as when I joined 18 months ago. Noticed a lot of old Tesco shoppers have swapped to our store recently.

It is a good company to work for - the pay is good but they do like to work you to the bone!

Don't they start trainnee managers at Aldi off of £45,000 a year? I imagine it's near impossible to get into though (I applied years ago for the management scheme and never heard back from them).

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Mar 2 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #6
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

The lidl near me isn;t as big so doesn't have nearly the stuff I require. Plus in Belgium everything is expensive and I don't think the lidl here is that much cheaper, except for vodka wub.gif

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 2 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I've never shopped at Aldi, but Lidl has been very convenient in the past and the food isn't really that bad just because it's at a cheap price. Their bags are way better/reuseable than Sansburys, Tesco etc. too.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 2 2015, 03:23 PM
Post #8
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Mar 2 2015, 03:04 PM) *
Don't they start trainnee managers at Aldi off of £45,000 a year? I imagine it's near impossible to get into though (I applied years ago for the management scheme and never heard back from them).

Area Managers.

One of my best friends is on the scheme - it's tough, and they only accept you if you have a background in sports. The salaries are really good, although they're constantly growing as a company so you would expect that. It's interesting in some countries that the growth share of the store's in the market has flattened a little bit, I think the same will happen in the UK soon.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 2 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #9
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I do some of my shopping at Aldi, like I'll go Monday/Tuesday and get stuff for a few meals then maybe some cake or chocolate. The store near me is big so you can get away with a full shop there (maybe not toiletries, household products and stuff like that but you could easily do your food shop for sure).

The stuff is really good, mostly! Like ,you can tell it's cheaper for some things but I like all the stuff I do buy and for some things you couldn't tell much of a difference really. I have no issues really.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Mar 2 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #10
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

ALDI YAAAAAAAS

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Mar 2 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #11
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Alidi's decent, you can get a lot of stuff from there, but I still like Tesco and Farmfoods best.

Lidl is a poile of SHET!!!

There's basically NOTHING in that store. I remember having to shop in one and found nothing!!

+Quote Post
Colm
post Mar 2 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #12
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Mar 2 2015, 03:03 PM) *
I don't shop at Aldi because they haven't opened any stores in Northern Ireland yet

I wonder what's keeping them out of Northern Ireland. Thery're in the south and in the rest of the UK, aren't they?

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: Mar 2 2015, 04:34 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Mar 2 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #13
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I have an Aldi as well but don't go there much since Lidl is 5 minutes away cool2.gif
It's only since October we've been shopping there as explained below.
Lidl's prices and often value are amazing wub.gif especially now my store in Cornwall has introduced its bakery section yahoo.gif
However since October it has been knocked down and rebuilt for an 8 month mystery upgrade, but I worry that this will make the prices more expensive or somewhat change it not for the better unsure.gif

Until June then ...

This post has been edited by §žiŋŋiŋğ Åđɑм: Mar 2 2015, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post
dancember
post Mar 2 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #14
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

My mum likes to shop at Lidl occasionally simply because it's cheap, no surprise that these and pound land stores are increasing in popularity tbh

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Mar 2 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #15
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(► ▲ N @ Mar 2 2015, 04:48 PM) *
My mum likes to shop at Lidl occasionally simply because it's cheap, no surprise that these and pound land stores are increasing in popularity tbh

I do like £1 bargains kink.gif however Poundland's value and quality can vary a lot. You can get a large bar of Toblerone for £1 (as opposed to £3 in Morrison laugh.gif) or 3 cans of whatever for £1 which is really good, however you can get for example a little plastic toy for the same price rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post Mar 2 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #16
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I don't shop at ALDI and LIDL for reasons of pure logistics since there isn't one near me and they don't do online delivery so they aren't really practical.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 2 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #17
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(§žiŋŋiŋğ Å&# @ Mar 2 2015, 04:45 PM) *
I have an Aldi as well but don't go there much since Lidl is 5 minutes away cool2.gif
It's only since October we've been shopping there as explained below.
Lidl's prices and often value are amazing wub.gif especially now my store in Cornwall has introduced its bakery section yahoo.gif
However since October it has been knocked down and rebuilt for an 8 month mystery upgrade, but I worry that this will make the prices more expensive or somewhat change it not for the better unsure.gif

Until June then ...

Prices won't stage, the stores's motto is "everyday low prices".

It's good for consumers though, cos it means the big supermarkets need to find ways to compete with Aldi & Lidl, well more Morrisons & Tesco really, but it's already starting to happen!

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 2 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #18
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Mar 2 2015, 05:28 PM) *
I wonder what's keeping them out of Northern Ireland. Thery're in the south and in the rest of the UK, aren't they?

That's true. I imagine that they might follow the example of what Tesco and Asda did whenever they first opened in Northern Ireland by buying over a local company with several large enough stores to give it a good foothold on the market i.e Tesco buying over Stewarts/Crazy Prices/West Side Stores in 1997 and Asda buying over Morrisons' NI stores in 2006.

Although even more than Aldi, the shop I'm most disappointed that they don't have over here yet is Waitrose. Here's hoping they'll have a presence here by 2020, which is when I firmly predict I will comfortably be in the upper echelons of the middle class, therefore be in a position to shop at Waitrose on a weekly basis.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 2 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #19
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Aldi is brilliant for wine, and as there's one on the main Uni street it's where i go for wine on a night out. Don't think i've ever entered a Lidl before and couldn't name where the nearest one was to me, but if they have cheap wine too then i'm THERE.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 2 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #20
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I haven't been to Lidl in years and I don't think I've set foot inside of an Aldi before.

That's not snobbery, the nearest ones are way across town and there are so many stores that are closer to me right now. From what I remember the Lidl stuff wasn't too bad although I seem to remember it's quite hard to shop in if you don't know what you're looking for.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 02:59 PM