Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Judge, Director: David Dobkin | Robert Downey, Jr. & Robert Duvall
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Mar 3 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"The Judge" was originally released in my country's cinemas last October but a neighbourhood cinema choosed it to have a discount price for a week. The truth is that we hadn't intended to go to see it because we thought it might be quite boring because of the script. However, "The Judge" is quite enjoyable because of the good performances of the leading duo Robert Downey, Jr. and Robert Duvall and the remaining characters participating in the film. Robet Duvall received a nomination for his supporting role from the Golden Globe Awards and the Academy Awards. If he had won the Golden Statuette, he would have become the oldest winner in Oscar history!
The protagonist of the movie Robert Downey, Jr. plays a very successful lawyer who returns to his homestead after a very unpleasant event for him and his family. His relations with his father remain cold and their communication is very difficult between them. However, everything will change when his father will be accused of murder with intent and his son has to untertake his defense. Although the story is a courtroom drama, the director David Dobkin is not focused only on the court room. "The Judge" has some external shots which I found them very pleasant to the eye. It was very smart on behalf of him not to limit the story in a closed room and for this reason the development was not very tiring. However, the 142 minutes that the movie lasts was very sufficient for the content of this film. Shortly before the end, the film was full of clichés and melodrama but the emotional development did not touch us at all. Also, we felt that it would finish earlier everytime but the last scenes showed the opposite. However, it was well directed, it had very good performances, beautiful photo and the dialogue was very clever and cynical. "The Judge" is a film that contains both dramatic and comic elements and was one of the good productions of last year. I just can not understand why the production spent $50 million for the budget when it should have cost a lot less money. Rather it seems that the big names of the cast, demanded very high amounts of money which I find it quite excessive. It was not a great achievement on their participation in this movie.
"The Judge" was a moderate box office success but managed to outnumber the money spent on the budget. Oddly enough, it was within twenty-five most commercial films in Greece last year and it was played for a very long time in theaters. Normally, this does not make such a great impression since Greeks are known to be litigious and their personal affairs are almost always solved in court. So, I guess that "The Judge" was a very tempting story/movie for them. Though, "The Judge" is a good movie that I think will be appreciated more than those who have or had bad relationships with their fathers and viewers who love watching courtroom dramas.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th October 2016 - 06:45 PM