BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Should the voting age be lowered
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 26
Guests cannot vote 
Rooney
post Mar 8 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So with the general election beginning to get in to swing, one of the usual questions that pops up is the voting age. Right now in the UK you have to be 18 to legally vote, however some parties believe this should be lowered to 16.

But what do you think?

I see both sides of the argument. Firstly we certainly need to encourage more young people to vote, however I'm not sure lowering the voting age is the correct way to do this, mainly because I believe 16 is too young.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Mar 8 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

No because the majority of people that are 16-17 aren't fully aware of many policies that they will be voting for ie they only focus on a couple or so.

It's better off engaging that age group first and preparing them, ready for vote.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 8 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I'd personally say no as I do think it's a tad too young (however condescending that sounds! ). You reach adulthood at 18 and that should be kept as a privilege for that transition as it's quite an 'adult' decision.

+Quote Post
Math ☂
post Mar 8 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #4
come on down to south park
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,852
   No Gallery Pics

No, I feel that most high-schoolers are not equipped with enough knowledge about politics to make a proper judgement of all of the candidates.

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Mar 8 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #5
3:23
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

I'd argue that vast majority of the electorate are not equipped with enough knowledge about politics to make a proper judgement of all of the candidates laugh.gif

So the more the merrier ~ besides unless they put ballot boxes in schools it's doubtful the turnout would exceed 30% tbh

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Mar 9 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

If it's done anything like the Referendum was then it would be worth it. Lowering the franchise in September was a good call and I am thrilled that the power of Franchise for Holyrood elections is being handed over in time for the 2016 vote.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Mar 9 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I'd say Yes.

Though lots of 16 - 18 year olds may not know much about politics, they generally won't vote anyway. Politics effect people of all ages, so those 16/17 year olds who want a voice should be able to vote in my opinion, even if loads of them just vote for what their parents vote for - that's a habbit many people never grow out of anyway.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 01:03 AM