BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> University advice - deferring for a year!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Kath
post Mar 11 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,980

Has anyone here any experience or know how deferment works. I am one worried mum who wants her son to start at uni this year - but he's adamant that although he does want to start - he wants to defer. I know this isn't a problem in itself - as long as he gets his grades in one go this time - they can hold the place for the following year - but I suppose I'm after some advice from people who have 'been there and done that'. What are the pros and cons of deferment?

Cheers for your help folks! If you can help that is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 11 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #2
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I have never done this, but as far as I'm aware if they have been offered a place and you defer then it's fine. As long as you meet the criteria the University are after then they can't take your place away. Pros are you have a place at University, you can choose not to go if you don't want. I don't think there are any Cons really, it all depends on the individual. Only thing I would say, is that when you apply for UCAS I'm sure you're meant to declare that you want to defer? If you get accepted, then tell the University that you want to dfer then they may take your place away, then you'd have to re-apply for 2016.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 11 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #3
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

My friend did this - I'm pretty sure you have to say when applying that you're going to defer! It's just basically getting the stress of applying out of the way now and being able to take a place later. I'm not absolutely 100% certain here but I think if he didn't say he wanted to defer his place when applying he may have to re-apply sad.gif

+Quote Post
Kath
post Mar 11 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 11 2015, 10:03 PM) *
I have never done this, but as far as I'm aware if they have been offered a place and you defer then it's fine. As long as you meet the criteria the University are after then they can't take your place away. Pros are you have a place at University, you can choose not to go if you don't want. I don't think there are any Cons really, it all depends on the individual. Only thing I would say, is that when you apply for UCAS I'm sure you're meant to declare that you want to defer? If you get accepted, then tell the University that you want to dfer then they may take your place away, then you'd have to re-apply for 2016.

I checked with the university (actually both first and second choice) and they said it was OK to defer (even though son hadn't put it on the UCAS form). There was a fabulous Taster Day at Edge Hill today (boy does that university push the boat out when tempting students - food laid on all day from 1 pm until 7 pm - and it was FAB food) and I checked again with the subject tutors and they said deferment would be fine. I really would prefer son to start in Autumn 2015 (for personal reasons) and I'm working on making him change his mind - but so be it if he's insistent. I have told him he'll have to get a job as soon as 6th Form finishes - he can't just sit about in his room for a year on his Playstation (which I think deep down - this is what 'taking a year out' means).

Thanks for the reply Roons!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 11 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

taking a year out might pop up at interviews after uni, so it's worth having a good answer ready (even if it's made up and not checkable) - saying "I felt like a rest for a year" won't endear you to employers. "Getting work experience/cash" might be a good answer (usually they want references though to where), or "went round the world experiencing life" or "worked voluntarily wanting to help before I committed my time" would also be good?

Good luck, though best reason for going to uni is...it's likely to be the best time of your life, cliche but true. (I did the sitting home unemployed thing for 2 years and regard it as a waste of 2 good years of my youth, I loved further education, even with the assignments and exams).

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 11 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #6
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Kath @ Mar 11 2015, 10:10 PM) *
I checked with the university (actually both first and second choice) and they said it was OK to defer (even though son hadn't put it on the UCAS form). There was a fabulous Taster Day at Edge Hill today (boy does that university push the boat out when tempting students - food laid on all day from 1 pm until 7 pm - and it was FAB food) and I checked again with the subject tutors and they said deferment would be fine. I really would prefer son to start in Autumn 2015 (for personal reasons) and I'm working on making him change his mind - but so be it if he's insistent. I have told him he'll have to get a job as soon as 6th Form finishes - he can't just sit about in his room for a year on his Playstation (which I think deep down - this is what 'taking a year out' means).

Thanks for the reply Roons!

Yeah I would echo what popchartfreak said as well. If your son does take a year out then make sure they do something productive otherwise employers might be put off. I took 2 gap years after Uni, and although I only took a year out to save and do a bit of travelling, they're quite vicious when interviewing you about CV gaps, so I would definitely recommend. Also if your son is put off by Uni in any way, then I would say he should go for it, cos it really is the best time of your life. Regardless of the cost, there's not much I would change about my experience.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 11 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I would echo the advice about having some sort of plan for a gap year. Whether he spends it travelling, working, writing a book or whatever, he ought to have some idea what he is going to do for twelve months.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Mar 12 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I have knowledge of this Kath as my daughter's best friend has taken a year out and now regrets it. She apparently just fancied a year's rest after "gruelling A levels" rolleyes.gif Hasn't got a job so no money only what parents will give her and that isn't a lot from what I hear. From all accounts she's mostly just laid in bed until noon then watched afternoon telly, with no mates to go out with as they're all away at Uni!!! She got all A's at A level and three offers at good Unis but deferred them all and is going this year but think she regrets deferring now. It's a good idea if they can get a job to save up some money for going to Uni and have their own spending money during the year and looks good on the CV as others have said. Glad daughter went last Oct and didn't defer as she loves it at Uni. She had a 2 year evening shop job whilst in 6th form and has a weekend one now too near Uni. Looks good on future job appluications and gets her a reference!

If I were you I'd try to persuade him not to defer. Maybe bribe him with some cash if he goes this year?!!

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Mar 12 2015, 02:17 PM

+Quote Post
April
post Mar 12 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #9
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

It's only worth deferring a year if there's something planned to do in that time. As Common Sense said, if he doesn't have anything planned he'll end up twiddling his thumbs and bored for a year. Sometimes later in life as well for job interviews, they might ask what he did during that year and if he did nothing but watch TV and play video games, it will look bad. However, if he has a job lined up then that can look great on a CV when finishing uni to have already had one year of full-time work when others would have simply gone to uni and maybe had one or two part time jobs while there.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 12 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Doing a volunteering or paid work abroad programme would be a very beneficial use of a gap year, there are a lot oof programmes available and most are very pricey but if you have the money, it would also be a great experience that would look good on a CV. My housemates that I met at Uni both did some travelling and working abroad during their year out and it did them good, I was surprised that I was the only one in my house that went straight from A levels to Uni (though a few were just doing an art post-uni kinda course). You'd need to be pro-active though, it's pretty hard going straight from compulsory education to the real world so quickly!

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Mar 12 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #11
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry, but i thought this was the other Kath and i did a little wee sad.gif

+Quote Post
Kath
post Mar 12 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks for all your advice and comments. We've come to a mutual agreement. We're going to get moving on the accommodation and finance fronts on the assumption that he WILL (results allowing) be starting in September 15. As soon as he's finished 6th Form - he starts looking for a job. If he gets a job that he thinks he can stick for a year - he can defer - if not - then I have a walk-in wardrobe this September!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 08:24 AM