BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DANDY//MADONNA//FIFTY
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #1
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

So I'm having a bit of a Madonna week thanks to Rebel Heart and have decided it would be good to post my top 50 tracks of the Madge variety. You know how it goes, the same old stuff in a slightly different order. My main conclusion after listening to all of her albums this week is that she sure knew how to pick the right songs as singles so don't expect loads of supposedly hidden gems as I don't think that's what Madonna is about - in fact a whopping 39 of the tracks I've included are indeed singles. So, if anyone is interested, hopefully you'll read along and mock my taste as we go.

For what I believe counts as "fun" in geeky chart circles, here's the album breakdown:

01 Madonna
01 Like a Virgin
04 True Blue
05 Like a Prayer
02 I'm Breathless
02 Erotica
03 Bedtime Stories
00 Evita
05 Ray of Light
04 Music
03 American Life
06 Confessions on a Dance Floor
02 Hard Candy
01 MDNA
03 Rebel Heart

08 Other
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 13 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Ooh, looking forward to this indeed! I think with 5 tracks coming from Like a Prayer and Ray of Light each and a further 6 from Confessions, your Madge tastes will go down fine. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 13 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #3
Member No.: 13,007

ohmy.gif i am very much here for this. I have really enjoyed your posts about Madonna this week across the site so i expect FINE taste here.

I would disagree about the disparity between singles/non-singles quality. She has so many incredible album tracks, alongside the iconic singles.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 13 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #4
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

I was just thinking about doing something like this myself laugh.gif great minds and all that. Very much looking forward to this.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #5
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Oh gosh - well I hope this lives up to expectations then... it's a mix of the iconic with the ones that mean the most to me. Or in some cases, a rather fine combination of the two. happy.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #6
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FIFTY

Music

So first up is one of Madonna's most iconic singles and a cross Atlantic chart topper no less. It makes me kinda sad to be revealing Music first as it was one of my favourite singles ever at the time it was released - everything about it was right, even the Ali G cameo in the video seemed kinda cool back in 2000. Alas, the Ali G cameo now feels tragic while the song itself hasn't aged as well as it may. Plus it reminds me of Dancing On Ice and that's never a good thing. That said, it's still a worthy 7/10 or so and definitely stands up as a great example of the sheer variety that Madonna has brought to pop music over the past thirty years. Here's hoping it grows on me again.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #7
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY NINE

Love Profusion

Love Profusion gets quite a bad press around the net doesn't it? Well I have a soft spot for Madge & her brand of acousticguitarpop that's been popping up as a staple since Don't Tell Me was first introduced to us and in my book this is a fine example of how well she fits within that sound. Yes the video is a bit shit and does indeed channel vibes of a bodyform advert but let that not detract from how lovely the track is... plus it reminds me of a golden era when a #11 single was considered a bit of a disaster.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 13 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #8
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Love Profusion is SO underrated wub.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 13 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

As a song I loved as a kid, 'Music' is always going to be one I like. I can see why people don't though; to be honest, if it was released today, I don't think it would do Madonna any favours.

I'm a 'Love Profusion' fan too and it definitely gets a lot of undeserved hate so I'm happy it makes an appearance. I also like that the lyrics bring up points but leave it to the listener to explore them. Perfect description for the video! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #10
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY EIGHT

Dress You Up

Next up it's the only track from the Like a Virgin album to make the rundown, an era that's really never caught my imagination as it represents Madonna at her most tacky for me and that's difficult to warm to if you haven't experienced it at the time I guess... Dress Me Up would have fitted that category too until she released the Celebration compilation and I found myself loving it far more than I'd expected, especially the slight breakdown at 2:58 as I have such a soft spot for sections of songs that groups of you can sing different parts to. Think the breakdown in 'Shout' at the end of Sister Act which has been performed many a time on Dandy holidays. Oh dear, I'm being too honest here. Although, I'm a bass sister should you be wondering. 2:24 in the following link should you wish to create this level of fun in your own homes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XPDIqRDu2o

...and back to something vaguely resembling Madonna in the next post. Honest.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 11:24 PM
Post #11
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY SEVEN

This Used To Be My Playground

I have an embarrassing soft spot for mid 90s Madonna balladry, something that clearly paved the way for my current indie-tastic tastes. I think this was released in 1992 if I remember correctly, a time when I essentially looned over about 10 acts and listened to them continuously throughout the entire year, Madonna being one of them. This was the first new material from her since The Immaculate Collection so naturally my desire for anything from her was sky high, even something related to Kevin bloody Costner. Like many of her other ballads from this period, they really clicked with me when I purchased the Something To Remember compilation, hearing them away from the uptempo stuff that I'd always leaned towards made me realise just how beautiful some of them actually are.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 13 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #12
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Surprised at so few non singles, I'd say mine would be about HALF album tracks these days. Not that I could narrow it down to 50 anymore, 100 would be challenge enough.

Good to see Music out nice and early though, SUCH an overrated song, it's a total shrinker with time too, which is rare for a Madge lead single I find. Love Profusion should be good, but the whole thing is a hideous combo of basic and overly saccharine which renders it almost unlistenable.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #13
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY SIX

Nothing Fails

So the tracks from American Life are falling rather quickly. Too quickly in fact as I really am rather fond of the album and this countdown probably won't reflect that as well as it should. I guess the best way I can put it is that the highs aren't quite as high as other albums in her discography but the lows are a lot higher than normal and that makes for one consistent album. As for Nothing Fails, well I'm as much a sucker for a sudden injection of a choir as your next well dressed fella and this filled a gap that hadn't been properly filled since Like a Prayer. Surround it with her now standard acousticigottherebeforethatedsheeranfellaguitar sound and it's yet another classic in her back catalogue.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 13 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Mar 13 2015, 11:33 PM) *
Surprised at so few non singles, I'd say mine would be about HALF album tracks these days. Not that I could narrow it down to 50 anymore, 100 would be challenge enough.

Good to see Music out nice and early though, SUCH an overrated song, it's a total shrinker with time too, which is rare for a Madge lead single I find. Love Profusion should be good, but the whole thing is a hideous combo of basic and overly saccharine which renders it almost unlistenable.

When this is all over, please do tell me which album tracks I've missed out... especially considering there's one album track to come that I honestly can't see making anyone else's chart ever.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 13 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #15
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

There are 2 album tracks that I HOPE you have, I will be disappointed if you don't. They do seem to lack in love on here in general though.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 14 2015, 12:00 AM
Post #16
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY FIVE

Masterpiece

Here it is then, the only representative from the nadir that was MDNA. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's Masterpiece that makes it as it rises high above the rest of the dross that filled that album. It's title is overstating it's brilliance just a tad however... yes, it's a great flashback to the Madonna of the late 80s and I've always felt it could have happily sat on Like a Prayer but it only shines quite so brightly for me when compared to the faceless electro nonsense that makes up the rest of the record (are you getting the sense I'm not keen etc yet?!!)... but it's still more than good enough to feature in the top 50 here. For the record, MDNA is the only Madonna album that I have never felt compelled to go back to - every other I have persevered with even if I didn't end up loving it but I just couldn't bring myself to listen to it more than 3 or 4 times in total. Anyway, I'm digressing from this track which probably deserves a better write up than this... so on a more personal level, this track reminds me of a previous relationship I had with someone who was (slightly!!!) out of my league, someone who I actually really liked for a while but eventually found myself resenting being the one who sort of always stood in the shadow and that he never really did anything to make me feel any different - I needed more limelight! Again, I'm possibly sharing too much here. Never do commentaries after an unhealthy level of Amarula. And jees, think of the calories in that.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 14 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #17
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Mar 13 2015, 11:46 PM) *
There are 2 album tracks that I HOPE you have, I will be disappointed if you don't. They do seem to lack in love on here in general though.

Oh no! I'm scared now, I feel like I'm doing a countdown in front of a lecturer at college when I have not done any revision.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 14 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #18
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY FOUR

Beautiful Stranger

The second of two videos with godawful comedian appearances falls out at 44th. This, rather like Music, is a track I loved at the time of release but have drifted away from over the years. I still like the general sound of it and it remains the perfect stepping stone between the Ray of Light and Music albums but in retrospect it really feels like it needed a bigger chorus to lift it higher than it actually manages to ascend to. The outro remains great however...

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 14 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #19
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY THREE

Joan of Arc

The first of the tracks that are very much in a state of ascendency from the new album, it's Joan of Arc. An instant favourite when it was released as a pre-order, this is exactly what Madonna does best these days, it treads that wonderfully fine line between being beautiful and vulnerable and that's exactly what she's always excelled at on her best albums. As I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum over the past week, I have a real respect for Madonna on Rebel Heart when she stops singing about sex and sings about something far more relevant to her situation, the struggle to fight on in the music world when you're being steadily replaced by a string of younger versions of yourself. The Just hold me while I cry my eyes out. I'm not Joan of Arc... not yet section is just adorable.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 14 2015, 12:58 AM
Post #20
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

FORTY TWO

4 Minutes

So here's another lesson in how to return with something to make the world pay attention. I'm not normally a fan of these sort of tracks, the glorious Nelly Furtado aside, but this won me over in the end. The video is also one of her best as a mysterious blackness eats away at the world surrounding Madge & her pet Justin as they try to escape the tetrahedrons of death that surround them... like everyone else, I'm particularly fond of the dancing on the checkout belts bit and have a secret desire to do exactly that in my local Waitrose but can't for fear of threatening the polite aura that permutates the atmosphere. That and the prospect of accidentally knocking over and shattering a perfectly good bottle of Sancerre.

This post has been edited by dandystar: Mar 14 2015, 12:59 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:04 PM