BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does an artist's personality influence how you feel about..., ...their music?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
jjake
post Mar 15 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #1
jenny from human resources
Group: Members
Member No.: 47

inspired by liam's last remark in the natalia farts thread

straightforward enough question. do you find you like the music of an artist more if you like their personality and vice versa?

i would have to say yes, jessie j's music is dreadful but her personality crucifies any hope of ever liking anything and i would never listen to anything natalia kills now as i don't care to invest, even casually in the music of someone so heinous and vile. in reverse taylor's generosity and love for her fans has made me like her more and more and the music was already fabulous.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 15 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #2
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

It depends. With Natalia, I'd say no, but she may be the exception. She's made some fantastic pop music and it'd be a shame for me to just stop liking it all because she's a bit of a twat. For someone "worse" like say Chris Brown, I'd say it does affect my expectations and whether I'm likely to give it as much of a chance etc. But even then if he makes a good song (for example Forever, Crawl, Yeah 3x and Beautiful People) I'll enjoy it. Only in the case of really despicable people who've done properly awful things (ie crimes) such as Ian Watkins and Gary Glitter will I just refuse to even like it, but they're not my type of music anyway.

Saying that, Regina will testify for how much I dislike say Dannii Minogue (thanks to the last season of Aussie XF, but in the wake of Nataliagate i feel like all is forgiven) or Sophie Ellis Bextor and how it means I really dislike their musical output too. But most artists I dislike have at least a couple of good songs I'll make an exception for!

As for the other way around, I definitely think it does. Artists I adore for their personality such as Taylor, Kelly Clarkson or Demi have barely any songs I dislike because I'm so invested in them and love them a lot.

+Quote Post
Herbs
post Mar 15 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 214

My favourite artist is damien rice and he has pretty much said he was awful to lisa hannigan.still makes a cracking album though

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 15 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

For the most part, I won't judge someone's music based on the person. U2 & Oasis are some of my favourite ever bands, I'm aware both frontmen are both not particularly pleasant personalities, but that doesn't hinder my enjoyment.

Sometimes though, I do feel that artists project their own personality into their music to much and it does make the music offputting - Jessie J, as mentioned, is guilty of this as is Kanye West and Chris Brown, with the latter there's nothing to like in the first place as most (if not all) of his music is genuinely the lowest common denominator, urban-pop shite with zelch creativity or any artistic integrity, the fact he's a vile personality doesn't help matters at all and with the former, I can appreciate he's talented at what he does and has done some excellent songs but it's just SO egocentric sometimes, it's hard for me to not roll my eyes and groan when I hear his name rather than anticipate the songs.

In short, it kinda depends, some artists I love so much already, I can enjoy the music fine but I find artists with vile personalities generally a bit harder to get into than those I know nothing about apart from the song for example.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Mar 15 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #5
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Nah smile.gif
Unless they are a serial killer or something. Then I just search for a cover version of something laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 15 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #6
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I think it does, but it also has the reverse effect. Like I'm sure many people hate Kanye West's ego, but I know a large majority of his fanbase buy in to his personality and it makes the experience bigger!

I was quite a big Lostprophets fan. But when their songs come on on shuffle I just have to skip. I want to delete them, but I can't bring myself to it.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Mar 16 2015, 02:24 PM
Post #7
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 15 2015, 08:40 PM) *
Saying that, Regina will testify for how much I dislike say Dannii Minogue (thanks to the last season of Aussie XF, but in the wake of Nataliagate i feel like all is forgiven) or Sophie Ellis Bextor and how it means I really dislike their musical output too. But most artists I dislike have at least a couple of good songs I'll make an exception for!

I get that you may not like Sophie's music, but how could you fault her personality? ohmy.gif She's like the sweetest and most adorable person ever.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Mar 16 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #8
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

It depends, I generally find disliking/hating an artist makes me much more likely to dislike/hate their music, but loving someone doesn't usually increase my likelihood of being won over by a middling/poor single anywhere near as much. Take Rebel Heart for example, I'm more disposed to giving it multiple plays because it's Madonna, but I'm still able to discern when a song is utter shit (Bitch I'm Madonna, for example). Kelly Clarkson is another good example, I love her muchly, but bloody hell her new album is a not up to par at all.

The likes of Kanye is a good example of the former though. He is an utterly repugnant being, everything he does elicits at least an eye roll, often utter hatred. That makes me actively WANT to dislike his music most of the time. There have only been a handful of times though that I've ever found myself listening to a Kanye song and thinking ''I would like this more if it wasn't him''. The genre of music he makes is just not one I have any time for. There are plenty of other examples of this too, Chris Brown, Coldplay, Gary Barlow, Olly Murs and most of the time I do find myself hating music that there is a CHANCE I may have otherwise got on board with. That's definitely true for the likes of Olly, stuff like Dear Darlin' is actually a really good pop song, on paper, but his vocals and his disgusting personality make me WANT to hate it so much I refuse to listen to it.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Mar 16 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Kanye West hasn't done anything I've liked since 2008 but his personality doesn't help.

With Jessie J this definitely applies. Her music is average and that's all. But it's so wrapped up in her repulsive personality that it is practically unlistenable.

Chris Brown never had anything to like.

I find I want to punch Meghan Trainor because of her facial expressions.

Example I don't like but his music has always been shit so not a good example. Pun intended.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 16 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #10
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Mar 16 2015, 03:24 PM) *
I get that you may not like Sophie's music, but how could you fault her personality? ohmy.gif She's like the sweetest and most adorable person ever.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Mar 16 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #11
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

Yes. See Britney Spears.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Mar 19 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #12
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say yea, usually at first I will listen to a band/artist based on their sound but if I like their music I will probably go watch/read some interviews with them, do a bit of research into their background and if they come across badly then that puts me off listening to them again, especially if they treat their fans badly. That's happened a couple of times with artists I've listened to where they act like complete idiots towards the people that have supported them and gotten them where they are today, I can't be doing with musicians like that sleep.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 02:51 PM