Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> News presenters with regional accents
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Mar 17 2015, 10:39 AM
Post #1
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

I was just reading Digital Spy and saw some very ridiculous comments about presenters with 'strong' regional accents presenting on national news broadcasts. In particular, they were talking about Steph McGovern presenting on BBC Breakfast (she has quite a thick Yorkshire accent if you're unfamiliar with Breakfast and her).

What do you think? Is her accent too thick for the national news?

Personally, I think it's great to have presenters with regional accents appearing, it's representative of the country rather than having presenters who only speak in received pronunciation. The only major news presenter with an accent I can think of is in fact Huw Edwards, and even then his accent sounds purposely toned down. I just think it's crazy in this day and age that people discriminate against regional accents for such jobs. Outside of news, you have the likes of Ant & Dec or Cheryl who appear on some of the biggest TV shows with thick accents, yet no one bats an eyelid.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Mar 17 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Some people always like to complain. There were lots of complaints when Radio 4 employed a continuity announcer with a Geordie accent. As long as they can be understood, what's the problem?

Of course, in WWII, some newsreaders were chosen specifically because of their regional accents. The assumption was that the Germans would find it harder to find somebody who could impersonate them laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2016 - 09:39 AM