BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kanye West to headline Glastonbury., But not without criticism and a petition!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jonjo
post Mar 17 2015, 01:52 PM
Post #1
Together we are more.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,042

As you may (or may not) be aware, Kanye West was announced to be headlining Glastonbury in the Summer.

But to the surprise of, erm, nobody, there is a silly petition to get Kanye West removed from the slot. Why are people moaning and getting upset/angry about this? I bet 90% of them aren't even going to Glastonbury so shouldn't be allowed to sign/have any choice in the say no matter what! And even then, if people ARE going, then just go to one of the many other stages to go and see an act you'd prefer!

I think Kanye deserves the headline slot more than a lot of the other artists. Yes his ego/personality may be off putting, but he's still an artist, headlining one of the biggest Summer music festivals. He's not going to an awards show or anything else! Is this petition just one of those things where they're just riding the coattails of the whole getting Natalia Kills sacked thing and being a success? You know, similar to how Facebook Campaigns are practically a thing (but far less successful) around Christmas to prevent the X Factor from getting number 1 since the RATM one was so successful?

It's stupid and I REALLY hope the Eavis family don't give in and keep him as a headline act.

---

Do you guys think it's fair? Should Kanye headline Glastonbury?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Mar 17 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I was actually thinking about giving up my Glastonbury ticket until that announcement. I can't wait.

I didn't watch any of the headliners last year. Glastonbury is like it's only country, not only are there huge amounts of other artists playing but there are plenty of other activities. People need to get over it.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 17 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Glastonbury is a music festival and Kanye West is one of the biggest & best* musical artists around right now so the petitions are frankly absurd and pathetic. I agree Jonjo that most people signing this probably have no intention of getting to the festival themselves so it begs belief as to why they are up-roaring.

*in my opinion of course, but i'm sure most of his detractors could see past the personality and appreciate some of the music/his prolific discography.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Mar 17 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #4
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Lol I'm in no way, shape or form a Kanye fan, but even I can see that this is ridiculous. He is without a doubt one of the biggest artists around right now and is a HUGE name to be headlining Glastonbury.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Mar 17 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #5
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,316

If he performs anything similar to the muted BRITs performance, I'm cool with that~

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 17 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Mar 17 2015, 05:13 PM) *
If he performs anything similar to the muted BRITs performance, I'm cool with that~

**** you **** ***** ****. sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Mar 17 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #7
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Isn't it such a heinous crime that an artist who has been one of the biggest in the world for a decade and receives pretty much universal critical acclaim has a bit of an ego? Sign me up for this petition ~

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 17 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #8
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

There's no way they will go back on the booking haha, it's such a coup for them. And if anyone did give up their tickets, I imagine there are plenty of people that would still buy them!

I think it's a great booking what it's worth. I'm not even a massive fan, but I'd love to be there because I expect it will be an incredible experience.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Mar 17 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

You'd have to pay me to go to Glastonbury. With or without Kanye.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Mar 17 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #10
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Best booking ever. Can't believe I decided to go last year instead of this year!
I'll be waiting for his and Rihanna's joint tour now instead.

Ridiculous people are so against it. Even if people don't like his personality, there's no denying he's been one of the biggest music stars on the planet for the last ten years or so and all his albums have been critically acclaimed. This year he's been a huge talking point too, great booking for them.

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Mar 18 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

Isn't this like when Jay Z headlined In '08? It's Kanye so his abrasive personality is part of it but I doubt if it was any other hip-hop act people would be more receptive. Either way, smh.

+Quote Post
Dircandydircane
post Mar 18 2015, 06:24 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

From the person who started the petition:
He shouldn't represent anything. His songs are lyrically appalling. He sings about 'bitches' and 'n*****'
Look back to Blur in 2009. One of the band's seminal moments - 100,000 people chanting "Wahoo!" That is what it’s about.

Kanye really has a way of bringing the dumbest people out of the woodwork.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Mar 18 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 17 2015, 06:41 PM) *
. I'm not even a massive fan, but I'd love to be there because I expect it will be an incredible experience.

Yes, full of swearing judging by his Brits performance. The guy's a disgrace.

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Mar 18 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #14
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Well I hate most of his music, but this is ridiculous. If you don't like him, don't go to Glastonbury. Simple.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Mar 18 2015, 06:20 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Mar 18 2015, 07:23 AM) *
Yes, full of swearing judging by his Brits performance. The guy's a disgrace.

I don't think you'd enjoy many performances at festivals if you're not a fan of swearing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dircandydircane
post Mar 18 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

Better petition https://www.change.org/p/glastonbury-festiv...val-yeezus-tour cheer.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Mar 21 2015, 02:50 PM
Post #17
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

Emily Eavis has spoken out!

Glastonbury Festival's Emily Eavis has written a blog post in response to an online petition launched to prevent Kanye West from headlining this year's event.

image: http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/images/arti...0517_200215.jpg
Writing for The Guardian, Eavis said that she and her father Michael wouldn't normally comment on such a campaign "but given the enormous amount of media coverage from all corners of the globe we felt compelled to respond this time."

She continues: "We think the story this year should not be: "Why is Kanye coming?" but: "How amazing is it that Kanye is coming?" One of the world's biggest superstars and a music legend, always interesting, never boring. He has agreed to play a festival where headliners get paid a fraction of their normal rate in support of Oxfam, Water Aid and Greenpeace as well as thousands of other worthy causes. We think that's pretty great."

She went on to question the people signing the petition, which has so far bought in over 50,000 virtual signatures. "I have such faith in humanity, but believe me, some of the vitriol being thrown around this week has made me question the dark underbelly of the web," she wrote. "Who are those people silently shouting in disgust, throwing out threats from behind their screens? It certainly isn’t pleasant to be on the receiving end of that. I can’t even imagine how it makes Kanye feel".

Eavis explained that only four more requests for ticket refunds were made than the previous week following the announcement earlier this week that West would headline the event in June. "The overwhelming majority of our 135,000 ticket-holders are clearly not too concerned by that particular two-hour slot on one of the 100 stages at our five-day event," wrote Eavis.

The Change.org petition was set up after the announcement that West will headline the Saturday night of this year's festival. The original petition read: "Kanye West is an insult to music fans all over the world. We spend hundreds of pounds to attend glasto, and by doing so, expect a certain level of entertainment. Kanye has been very outspoken on his views on music....he should listen to his own advice and pass his headline slot on to someone deserving! Lets prevent this musical injustice now!"

Speaking exclusively to NME, the man behind the petition Neil Lonsdale, said: "Glastonbury needs upbeat major artists. Glastonbury is an institution. It is expected that it has the biggest names. The biggest performers. Kanye does not represent that."

He added: "I fought the temptation to scream and instead opted to hurl my iPhone across the room. Two years ago we had The Rolling Stones playing the Saturday night, and this year we get Kanye West? It's an outrage!" Lonsdale also revealed that he's never been to Glastonbury before.

Meanwhile, there's also a counter petition set up called 'Cancel all acts at Glastonbury other than Kanye West'. Earlier this week, Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis offered his support to West by holding up a banner that read 'Yeezy Does It'.

There is now one final headline slot to be announced for the festival. Neither Coldplay or Florence + The Machine will headline according to organiser Emily Eavis. Both artists had been linked to one of this year's headline slots however, Eavis recently said officially that the rumours were unfounded.

Foo Fighters confirmed they are to headline the 2015 event in their acceptance speech at the NME Awards 2015 with Austin, Texas last month.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/83747?u...zpd31Kw565ZD.99
She speaks the whole truth tbh. Although the guy who started the petition has NO IDEA what he's talking about. I think even the harshest Kanye critics would disagree with what he said and say that he IS one of the best performers in the whole industry right now.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Mar 21 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #18

Glastonbury is an institution. It is expected that it has the biggest names. The biggest performers. Kanye does not represent that.

Yeah that alone proves that this guy has no clue what he's on about.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 21 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

These people do know how many musical acts there are at Glastonbury right? There are two other headliners plus there'd be more music playing elsewhere when Kanye's on, they can just...see someone else. Although this is more about musical snobbery anyway.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 21 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #20
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I'm certain all of this hype/anti-hype will just make Kanye's performance get more attention anyway. This is the wrong way to go about getting out the rage that a music genre one doesn't like has lots of fans who'll go to see him.

As much as I do enjoy a big rock band fronting this thing, it would be pretty boring if it were the same sort of thing every year, and it's a pretty wide-open musical event, this isn't Download.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 08:45 PM