BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things the youth of today do not need to worry about, one for the oldies~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Mar 22 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I saw this on another forum and it made me reminisce, smile and fear for my age in equal measure: http://www.zimbio.com/For+The+Win/articles...day+Never+Worry - 27 things a fair few of us had to deal with growing up, that are now defunct. Makes me feel very old but the 90s were golden <3 Please say others here remember most of these things?

The internet connection dial-up tone pirate.gif

Are there any other things from your youth that we no longer have to worry about / what things NOW do you think we will look back on as being archaic and ancient mumbo-jumbo in a few years? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Mar 22 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

omg the internet dial-up connection!! Once you were on the internet, you couldn't use the phone line. It was a pain having to ask everytime you wanted to go on it laugh.gif

Portable CD players as well! They always broke for me, skipping tracks and what not. It's not something you can carry around either.

In that article, rewinding videos is one of the most annoying that I remember. Wanting to watch something but having to rewind it which would take forever! Not being able to skip correctly either, just guessing the point that you wanted to be.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 22 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(Rabbit Froot @ Mar 22 2015, 07:51 PM) *
omg the internet dial-up connection!! Once you were on the internet, you couldn't use the phone line. It was a pain having to ask everytime you wanted to go on it laugh.gif

I can remember searching for ~things i shouldn't have been~ on google images and my mum screaming my name from downstairs about the internet. The PANIC i had that she could somehow see what i was searching for by picking up the phone downstairs... turns out she just wanted to call someone, lol.

Rewinding videos was the worst i agree. The inability to skip to certain scenes or having to rewind it to the start before watching it, because you didn't do it the last time you saw the film drama.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 22 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #4
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Haha the days of going to Blockbusters / Choices and your film/game rental not being available!!!! Crazy to think that was ever an issue!

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Mar 22 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #5
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,421

Internet dial up and cassettes were still a thing of my time <3 even though I was really young it's got me nostalgic! We've come on so far in the last 20 years ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
April
post Mar 22 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #6
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

Oh god that internet dial up connection. It was the bane of my life!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 22 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I also remember the internet dial up connection that we still had during my first few of years of primary school. Of course I used the internet for such productive reasons (Bratz website) that prevented my parents from making phone calls. What an absolutely DREADFUL noise it made though! Thank gawd when we first got broadband.

I also very much remember having VHS', the rewinding back to the beginning was SO ANNOYING oh my gosh I could not imagine that now! Also having to watch things live on tv and not being able to pause/rewind etc. before Sky+. Essential for me now.

We really have come so far technology-wise! I'm glad I had my childhood in the 00s though as opposed to being born ten years later.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 22 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Memories <3 (bad ones)

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Mar 22 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

^First dubstep song^

+Quote Post
Kath
post Mar 22 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 2,980

Pulling the choke out to get your car started on a freezing cold morning (whilst not pulling so hard that you flood the engine).

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Mar 22 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #11
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Internet dial up plus having no wireless meant only one person could use the internet at a time! I had to rush home and do everything I wanted online between 30 and 60 minutes and then my brother would go on, then my sister. We got more done without the ability to always be online though.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Mar 22 2015, 11:36 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Being born in 1988 and living the majority of my childhood in the 1990s...

* Having four television channels
* A major member of the Royal Family dying and being bored as hell as her funeral airs on EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL, nothing else on to watch
* Rushing home from school to watch a television programme, and if you miss it hoping one of the rich kids with a video recorder has it taped.
* Urgently needing to call your parents, searching around for a telephone box and having to ask the nearest newsagent if they had 10p they would graciously give you to call them.
* Turning on the Super Nintendo, the game cartridge not working and having to either blow into it to clear the dust out or hold it down into the machine, having to very carefully and slowly release your hand so it doesn't immediately crash.
* Working out what tape is going to be in your Sony Walkman today
* Getting rid of all those AOL CDs that used to come through the post, talking about some weird 'internet' thing absolutely no one had or cared about.
* Shutting down your computer, but having to wait until the words "It is now safe to turn off your computer" appeared until actually pressing the button to turn it off.
* Being careful as you handled a floppy disk, making sure you didn't touch the magnetic tape inside just in case it damaged what was on it
* Having to actually go into a shop and buy a magazine to find out computer game reviews, cheats, etc, but only having the money for one and deciding which out of the eight different Nintendo magazines on the shelf was the best
* Waiting a year between a film coming out in America and a film coming out in the UK, with absolutely no way of seeing even a second of it before then
* Going into a video shop, renting a 15 (or 18) rated film when you're under 10, and having to reason with the shop owner that you're mature enough to watch it. They'd always allow it in the end.
* Having to return that video by a certain time so you didn't get fined.
* Being very careful as you remove the vinyl record from its sleeve, putting it on the turntable, placing the needle onto the right position and hoping it doesn't skip or scratch. (this seemed old fashioned even then but my Grandma stayed exclusively vinyl until 2003!)
* Hearing a landline phone ring while watching TV and trying to work out if it's your phone or the one on the TV show.
* Watching Noel's House Party at the moment Noel would click his fingers and someone's house would appear, and being terrified (and slightly excited) at the thought that one day it could be yours.
* Staying up far too late, turning on the TV and instead of any programmes, a terrifying still image of a kid and some creepy clown doll staring at you while this horrific high-pitched tone screams out at you.
* Hearing a song. Falling in love with it. Having no idea of the name and waiting days, if not months, if not years until you find out what the damn song was - perhaps getting lucky if you tuned the radio enough and it played again
* Calling up The Box. Requesting a song by typing a three-digit code into your telephone. Waiting, sometimes for over an hour, until it plays and you immediately press Record on the video recorder, thus owning the song for all time and not needing to travel all the way into the city centre to a music store to buy the £2.99 CD single (god I thought I was so clever doing this)
* Buying a blank cassette tape, recording your voice (and half of the Radio 1 UK top 40) and playing it back. I did this for two years and still have it!
* Being in a car without any seatbelts. They didn't make this fully compulsory until 1991, before then some cars wouldn't bother with them at the back
* Being on a train which didn't have automatic doors, just these massive clunky old ones you had to close yourself and could be opened at any time even when the train was moving
* Being on a knackered, graffiti-filled London Underground tube train over fifty years old, making extremely scary motor noises as it battered through the tunnels and being relieved when you've survived the journey in one piece
* Reading the tube map on said train and realising it dates from the 1960s and is completely out of date (this genuinely used to happen)
* Standing in a long queue for a Central London bus as everyone slowly got out their various coins to pay the driver
* Generally being on an extremely long journey with no smartphone, no tablet, no iPod, nothing except maybe one comic book which had to last you the next several hours
* Not being able to travel abroad easily, as it was far too expensive and required a complicated trip to a travel agent with a load of travel guides you had to read through for ages
* Not knowing train or bus times without having to either call the transport office up on the phone, or just showing up at the station and reading the timetable
* Not having the internet. In general.

Bloody hell, how did we live?!

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 22 2015, 11:51 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Mar 22 2015, 11:36 PM) *

* A major member of the Royal Family dying and being bored as hell as her funeral airs on EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL, nothing else on to watch
* Rushing home from school to watch a television programme, and if you miss it hoping one of the rich kids with a video recorder has it taped.
* Urgently needing to call your parents, searching around for a telephone box and having to ask the nearest newsagent if they had 10p they would graciously give you to call them.
* Turning on the Super Nintendo, the game cartridge not working and having to either blow into it to clear the dust out or hold it down into the machine, having to very carefully and slowly release your hand so it doesn't immediately crash.
* Working out what tape is going to be in your Sony Walkman today
* Getting rid of all those AOL CDs that used to come through the post, talking about some weird 'internet' thing absolutely no one had or cared about.
* Shutting down your computer, but having to wait until the words "It is now safe to turn off your computer" appeared until actually pressing the button to turn it off.
* Being careful as you handled a floppy disk, making sure you didn't touch the magnetic tape inside just in case it damaged what was on it
* Having to actually go into a shop and buy a magazine to find out computer game reviews, cheats, etc, but only having the money for one and deciding which out of the eight different Nintendo magazines on the shelf was the best
* Waiting a year between a film coming out in America and a film coming out in the UK, with absolutely no way of seeing even a second of it before then
* Going into a video shop, renting a 15 (or 18) rated film when you're under 10, and having to reason with the shop owner that you're mature enough to watch it. They'd always allow it in the end.
* Having to return that video by a certain time so you didn't get fined.
* Being very careful as you remove the vinyl record from its sleeve, putting it on the turntable, placing the needle onto the right position and hoping it doesn't skip or scratch. (this seemed old fashioned even then but my Grandma stayed exclusively vinyl until 2003!)
* Hearing a landline phone ring while watching TV and trying to work out if it's your phone or the one on the TV show.
* Watching Noel's House Party at the moment Noel would click his fingers and someone's house would appear, and being terrified (and slightly excited) at the thought that one day it could be yours.
* Staying up far too late, turning on the TV and instead of any programmes, a terrifying still image of a kid and some creepy clown doll staring at you while this horrific high-pitched tone screams out at you.
* Hearing a song. Falling in love with it. Having no idea of the name and waiting days, if not months, if not years until you find out what the damn song was - perhaps getting lucky if you tuned the radio enough and it played again
* Calling up The Box. Requesting a song by typing a three-digit code into your telephone. Waiting, sometimes for over an hour, until it plays and you immediately press Record on the video recorder, thus owning the song for all time and not needing to travel all the way into the city centre to a music store to buy the £2.99 CD single (god I thought I was so clever doing this)
* Buying a blank cassette tape, recording your voice (and half of the Radio 1 UK top 40) and playing it back. I did this for two years and still have it!
* Being in a car without any seatbelts. They didn't make this fully compulsory until 1991, before then some cars wouldn't bother with them at the back
* Being on a train which didn't have automatic doors, just these massive clunky old ones you had to close yourself and could be opened at any time even when the train was moving
* Being on a knackered, graffiti-filled London Underground tube train over fifty years old, making extremely scary motor noises as it battered through the tunnels and being relieved when you've survived the journey in one piece
* Reading the tube map on said train and realising it dates from the 1960s and is completely out of date (this genuinely used to happen)
* Standing in a long queue for a Central London bus as everyone slowly got out their various coins to pay the driver
* Generally being on an extremely long journey with no smartphone, no tablet, no iPod, nothing except maybe one comic book which had to last you the next several hours
* Not being able to travel abroad easily, as it was far too expensive and required a complicated trip to a travel agent with a load of travel guides you had to read through for ages
* Not knowing train or bus times without having to either call the transport office up on the phone, or just showing up at the station and reading the timetable
* Not having the internet. In general.

Bloody hell, how did we live?!

What do you think it was like for someone born in 1960? laugh.gif

Rushing home from school to watch a programme because video recorders didn't exist.
Only being able to see a film at the cinema or when it was finally shown on television three years later.
Not worrying about computer game reviews because computer games didn't exist.
Only having three television channels and one television.
Having no way of listening to your own music away from home. The best you could manage was a transistor radio with a very limited choice of radio stations.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Mar 22 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #14
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Mar 23 2015, 12:36 AM) *

Now now public transport isn't HALF as charming without these anymore

+Quote Post
April
post Mar 22 2015, 11:55 PM
Post #15
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

QUOTE(BillyH @ Mar 22 2015, 11:36 PM) *

When Diana died in particular. The amount of public outpouring of grief was like something I've never witnessed.

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Mar 23 2015, 03:19 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

Having spent the first 7 years of my life in the Philippines where 24-hour channels didn't really exist until after my family emigrated, I remember the color bars as well, and also the Cartoon Network sign-off (before the switchover to TCM) that signaled bedtime. During that time we also had no internet at home and I remember being with my mom while she ran errands and having to stop at the local internet cafe so she could send an e-mail. When we finally did get internet it was a year after we'd moved to the US and it was AOL (we didn't get broadband until '04) and obviously everyone has fun memories associated with AOL/dial-up.

One website I went on a lot as a kid was called Bonus.com, which hosted an insane amount of games, and it seemed pretty popular with my classmates in elementary school but it disappeared suddenly without a trace some time ago. No one I've asked remembers it and it was driving me nuts for a while, but one night last summer I managed to track down some games I used to play on it, meaning that in fact I wasn't in some kind of extended fever dream from ages 8-10. drama.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Mar 23 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #17
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dhwe @ Mar 22 2015, 08:19 PM) *
Having spent the first 7 years of my life in the Philippines where 24-hour channels didn't really exist until after my family emigrated, I remember the color bars as well, and also the Cartoon Network sign-off (before the switchover to TCM) that signaled bedtime. During that time we also had no internet at home and I remember being with my mom while she ran errands and having to stop at the local internet cafe so she could send an e-mail. When we finally did get internet it was a year after we'd moved to the US and it was AOL (we didn't get broadband until '04) and obviously everyone has fun memories associated with AOL/dial-up.

One website I went on a lot as a kid was called Bonus.com, which hosted an insane amount of games, and it seemed pretty popular with my classmates in elementary school but it disappeared suddenly without a trace some time ago. No one I've asked remembers it and it was driving me nuts for a while, but one night last summer I managed to track down some games I used to play on it, meaning that in fact I wasn't in some kind of extended fever dream from ages 8-10. drama.gif
Okay, AOL was HELL REINCARNATE, and I remember it being frustrating for my entire family, especially my dad, who for some reason wanted to play StarCraft (yes the original, dahhlings) for hours on into the night.

Also, the whole Nintendo 64 cartridge trick did not just simply go away. I had both a GameCube and a Playstation 2 growing up (the former of the two that stopped working eventually) and having to wipe the CD endlessly was such a hassle.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Mar 23 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #18
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

These.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Mar 23 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #19
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I am fairly sure I've never had to deal with dial-up - not sure if my family were just very early to switch to broadband, or dial-up predated me using the Internet.

The Internet seems so central to literally everything now that it's really hard to imagine a world without it - and yet that was how things were until just a couple of decades ago.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Mar 23 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #20
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

When we used to print off ringtone codes of popular songs so we could have that song as our ringtone <3

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 10:20 PM