BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Election debates, Starting today
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post Mar 26 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

The first of the television election debates, with David Cameron and Ed Miliband appearing separately, is on Channel 4 and Sky News tonight. Who will be watching?

I will not be watching tonight. As a matter of principle, I generally avoid any programme based on the premise that there are only two parties. I am also dismayed by the choice of Jeremy Paxman as the host. For all his reputation as an interviewer, since his retirement from Newsnight he has identified himself as a Tory. It has even become apparent that he was approached to stand as the Tory candidate for London Mayor, with Cameron's involvement. He was also invited to apply to be the Tory candidate in the ultra-safe seat of Kensington and Chelsea after Malcolm Rifkind was forced to stand down. Surely this must compromise his impartiality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 26 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #2
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Think I will watch, be interesting to see who goes on first - I would assume David Cameron?

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 26 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #3
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I dunno if I'll watch tonight, might tune into the one with the seven parties though, could be interesting (or more likely embarassing).

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Mar 26 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #4
DROTTNING!
Group: Members
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 26 2015, 07:06 PM) *
Think I will watch, be interesting to see who goes on first - I would assume David Cameron?

David Cameron - Ed won the coin toss and chose to go second.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 26 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 26 2015, 06:06 PM) *

I would guess it will be decided by the toss of a coin or something similar. I don't know whether the second one on will be able to see the first one.

EDIT - Ah, I was beaten to it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 26 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #6
WINTER IS COMING

Good watch is this.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 26 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #7
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Ed Miliband came across as reassuringly human this evening. That's a good sign.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 26 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Mar 26 2015, 10:36 PM) *
Ed Miliband came across as reassuringly human this evening. That's a good sign.

That was possibly the main thing he needed to do.

+Quote Post
jark
post Mar 26 2015, 10:45 PM
Post #9
something you consider rare
Member No.: 2,990

Both did well with audience Qs and less well with Paxman. DC got off to quite an awkward start but was much more assertive in communicating what he wanted to without being talked over or interrupted, whereas Ed floundered a lot and during the final five minutes I really had to keep a tight girl grip on my cushion, such were the levels of cringe creeping in. But he did have to shield some pretty baseless and irrelevant questions about his personality / likability which I felt he ultimately did well with. Less successful were his attempts to talk about policy. Everything was said in the very vaguest of terms, nothing specific at all, and I don't feel that he communicated a labour message tonight, just protected his image.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Mar 26 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #10
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Even by Kay Burley standards the biases on display in the Q&A sections were quite appauling. Milliband did the best out of the two of them despite that but I think they both got suitably mauled.

This post has been edited by LexC: Mar 26 2015, 10:48 PM

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 26 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(jark @ Mar 26 2015, 10:45 PM) *
Both did well with audience Qs and less well with Paxman. DC got off to quite an awkward start but was much more assertive in communicating what he wanted to without being talked over or interrupted, whereas Ed floundered a lot and during the final five minutes I really had to keep a tight girl grip on my cushion, such were the levels of cringe creeping in. But he did have to shield some pretty baseless and irrelevant questions about his personality / likability which I felt he ultimately did well with. Less successful were his attempts to talk about policy. Everything was said in the very vaguest of terms, nothing specific at all, and I don't feel that he communicated a labour message tonight, just protected his image.

My thoughts precisely. Ed came across as very human, and very well. However my criticism with him is he just had no conviction and is just too nice. He lets others speak over him, and when he tries to be serious I just cannot take him seriously, or believe he is the leader the country needs. Paxman was very personal with him, which was irrelevant.

+Quote Post
Danny
post Mar 26 2015, 10:59 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 457
   No Gallery Pics

Agree with you guys. Ed seemed like a humanbeing for once, but I don't think he gave real answers to the questions of "why vote Labour?" or "how would a Labour government be different to a Tory government?"

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 26 2015, 11:03 PM
Post #13
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, he was very vague. I missed the start as I was late home from work - thus missed Cameron's 'apparently' poor start. Think he performed the better of the two, though a marked improvement from Ed.

If I hear "I gave an honest answer to an honest answer" one more time however I may have to defenestrate Dave from a very tall building.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Mar 27 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #14
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Ed just turning up meant he won the debate. The right wing British media had characatured him from the day he became leader because they don't like his left wing views.

So David Cameron how many Food Banks are there in the UK?

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 27 2015, 12:28 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(steve201 @ Mar 27 2015, 12:01 AM) *
Ed just turning up meant he won the debate. The right wing British media had characatured him from the day he became leader because they don't like his left wing views.

So David Cameron how many Food Banks are there in the UK?

In some ways, the vitriolic Tory press helped to make Miliband's task easier. All he had to do was to avoid asking if he could phone his friend on the planet Zarg, and he would have succeeded in appearing less weird than many people had been led to believe. Of course, that only applies to people who watched the programme. No doubt, the Tory press will report it as a triumph for the plastic-faced idiot.

+Quote Post
Harve
post Mar 27 2015, 07:01 AM
Post #16
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

My favourite quotes include 'the warlords', 'MURDEROUS death cult' and 'President Obama had been on the phone: the leader of the free world'.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 27 2015, 07:11 AM
Post #17
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 27 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #18
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Harve @ Mar 27 2015, 07:01 AM) *
My favourite quotes include 'the warlords', 'MURDEROUS death cult' and 'President Obama had been on the phone: the leader of the free world'.

That sounded ridiculous, haha. Like he was explaining the concept of ISIL to those unaware.

I've been watching this on catchup because I lead such an exciting life, have to say I'm rather impressed with how Ed came across, in answering the questions he gave mostly the right answers while I felt like Cameron was floundering to defend his goverment. I guess that's partly ideological bias but I'm pleased every time I see him in action because of how much better it all looks when compared to his still face in photos.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Mar 28 2015, 12:06 AM
Post #19
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Mar 27 2015, 12:28 AM) *
In some ways, the vitriolic Tory press helped to make Miliband's task easier. All he had to do was to avoid asking if he could phone his friend on the planet Zarg, and he would have succeeded in appearing less weird than many people had been led to believe. Of course, that only applies to people who watched the programme. No doubt, the Tory press will report it as a triumph for the plastic-faced idiot.

I watched the debates on my planner today after I taped it and wasn't so sure Milliband did quite as well - couldn't believe when Paxman asked him if he was ok at the end cry.gif

Def not looking forward to the chaos debate next week 7 parties all with sound it's galore!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:36 PM