BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amanda Knox acquitted of Murder
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Mar 28 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

The convictions of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito for the murder of UK student Meredith Kercher have been quashed by Italy's top appeals court.

It is the final ruling in the case, following three previous court decisions over the 2007 murder.

Ms Kercher, 21, was stabbed to death in a Perugia flat she shared with Ms Knox.

American Ms Knox, 27, said she was "full of joy" after being acquitted, but the mother of Ms Kercher, who was from London, said she was "shocked".

Ms Knox and Mr Sollecito, her Italian ex-boyfriend, were initially found guilty of the murder in 2009.

They were freed in 2011 after the convictions were overturned, but they were reinstated by another court last year.

Ms Kercher, from Coulsdon in south London, was on a one-year student exchange in Perugia when her throat was cut in the flat she shared with Ms Knox.

Prosecutors claimed she was killed as part of a sex game that went wrong.

The Leeds University student's body was found under a duvet in her bedroom, which had been locked from the inside.

Days after the killing, Ms Knox and her then-boyfriend, Mr Sollecito, 31, were arrested.

They were convicted of murder in 2009 by a court in Perugia.

But in 2011, a jury cleared both defendants of the charge, after doubts were raised over the handling of DNA evidence.

A retrial was ordered after prosecutors argued that important evidence had been disregarded. In 2014, the guilty verdicts were reinstated.

Another man, Rudy Hermann Guede, born in Ivory Coast, was convicted of murder in a separate trial and is serving a 16-year sentence.

The court's ruling against Guede stated that he did not act alone, and the 2014 verdicts against Ms Knox and Mr Sollecito said they wielded knives, Guede held the victim down and committed a sexual assault and Ms Knox "delivered the only mortal blow".

That 2014 ruling has now been overturned, so no-one now stands convicted of acting with Guede to kill Ms Kercher.

Such as fascinating case. Might spend my day watching some old documentaries about it. Something's definitely still not right in my eyes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Mar 28 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

This case has been fascinating on two strands, firstly the case and then secondly the Italian justice system.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 28 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #3
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Silas @ Mar 28 2015, 12:41 PM) *
This case has been fascinating on two strands, firstly the case and then secondly the Italian justice system.

Yes most certainly. There's still a massive 50/50 split of if she did it or not. Lots of mistakes and egos from the Italian justice system, but a lot of the evidence was circumstantial. Still lots of things that remain unanswered, especially the bizzare actions of Knox & Sollecito.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Mar 28 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #4
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I don't think her parents are ever going to get an answer.

Every time you try an think about the case it confuses you with its contradictions and inconsistencies. Like why did that guy take the expedited trial. What does he know about what happened? I think everytime they answer a question about 8 more are raised.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 28 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Silas @ Mar 28 2015, 03:17 PM) *
I don't think her parents are ever going to get an answer.

Every time you try an think about the case it confuses you with its contradictions and inconsistencies. Like why did that guy take the expedited trial. What does he know about what happened? I think everytime they answer a question about 8 more are raised.

Oh no absolutely the truth is still yet to be uncovered. There are far too many holes about, and the actions of everyone are baffling.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 28 2015, 11:39 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Ooh this is one of the earliest cases I remember following! I started getting properly into the news in '07 with the likes of this and Madeline McCann. Always found it interesting how the media always focused prominently on Amanda when there were two (even three at the start?) in the frame. Such an interesting case to follow, many twists and turns!

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Mar 28 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #7
DROTTNING!
Group: Members
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Knox and Sollecito are weird, but that doesn't exactly make them murderers. I mean HEAVEN FORBID Spinning Adam happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time for a murder case with only circumstantial evidence

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 29 2015, 02:23 AM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

!!!! post of the year so far

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Mar 31 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #9
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Mar 28 2015, 11:43 PM) *
Knox and Sollecito are weird, but that doesn't exactly make them murderers. I mean HEAVEN FORBID Spinning Adam happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time for a murder case with only circumstantial evidence

Omg basically just what I wanted ter ser!!

Yup they are weird but so are many people but it doesn't mean they're killers.

At least this nightmare is over for them now.

What would have ruining 2 more young lives over shoddy evidence and them being outsiders have achieved anyway?

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Mar 31 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #10
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

I think balance of probability says they didn't do it, in which case it's a massive shame that they've lost years of their livelihoods.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 31 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(#BJSCSLAYERRRRRR @ Mar 31 2015, 09:21 AM) *
Omg basically just what I wanted ter ser!!

Yup they are weird but so are many people but it doesn't mean they're killers.

At least this nightmare is over for them now.

What would have ruining 2 more young lives over shoddy evidence and them being outsiders have achieved anyway?

I'm still in the camp that both know more than they're letting on.

The evidence against her was weak, but she changed her story everytime, and not even minor differences, major stuff. The fact she changed her story to stitch up her boss, and consequently place herself at the scene of the murder, changing her and he boyfriend's alibi is very strange.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Mar 31 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #12
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Hmm but remember this was all in a different language.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:33 PM