BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Animal testing should be outright banned'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Animal testing should be outright banned
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Apr 10 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Another debate, and we're going BIG again. A huge topic that has been discussed in depth previously, but should animal testing (for any and all purposes) be outright banned? With vast improvements and developments in technology should there still a need to experiment on animals to for example, develop cures for human diseases, cosmetics and beauty products, research experiments.. the list goes on. So consider whether it is ever morally acceptable to experiment on animals or not.

General points FOR ~ improves human health and developments in medication, avoids simulating on humans
General points AGAINST ~ treatment of animals when experimenting, useless products being tested, difference between testing on animals and results when using products on humans

Some may believe that animal experimentation can be acceptable for certain reasons, so please explain those, but also answer the poll voting for the side that you fit most closely within if possible.

-- x --

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 10 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

This has actually hit the news in the past few months and so is quite the topical debate.

EU to mull outright ban on animal experiments

The EU will consider a ban on animal experimentation after receiving a petition with 1.1 million names from an anti-vivisection group, officials said Wednesday.
Brussels said that Stop Vivisection's European Citizens' Initiative (ECI) had passed the threshold of one million names from seven countries needed for the European Union to take up an issue.

The European Commission, the executive arm of the 28-member bloc, said it would now invite the organisers to "explain their ideas" within the next three months.

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-eu-mull-outright-animal.html

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Apr 10 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #3
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

No. I love animals but it is vital to test things like medicines on animals. Cosmetics however are a big no no

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Apr 10 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #4
I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

The title and the question don't match (i.e. are asked in different directions). I voted against but I guess I should've voted for? Already messed up the results laugh.gif

I am for animal testing. I (will) work in the medical field and I believe that it is necessary. I do still think that it's sad and I don't know if I could do it myself.

In recent years I did a 180 on my (rebellish~) teen years where I would be extremely against it.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Apr 10 2015, 05:37 PM
Post #5
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

Ideally we wouldn't have to test on animals at all but it is a necessary evil for now. I still don't think we're at the point where we could go without animal testing for medicines, but like Tim said the testing of animals for cosmetics should be banned as it does not benefit our survival in anyway.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 10 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

Yea, as much of an animal lover as i am, it is an essential factor of medical research that we can't really afford to go without unfortunately. I hope petitions like the one raised across the EU bring about better regulations for the conditions for the animals being tested and raise more awareness for that because they can always be improved, but i have to reluctantly vote 'against' because of the medical implications.

Hopefully they can develop ways to simulate the testing without actually needed animals in the future. I don't know how it could work, but maybe through virtual reality or simulations? Or am i talking out of my arse by suggesting that, idk?

QUOTE(Atonement @ Apr 10 2015, 06:33 PM) *
The title and the question don't match (i.e. are asked in different directions). I voted against but I guess I should've voted for? Already messed up the results laugh.gif

Oops, reworded that tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Apr 10 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm against animal testing in theory, but in reality I don't really know how else we'd test new medicines so as reluctant as I am to say, I'm not sure banning it outright would be the best move. I'm against any other forms of animal testing not for medical reasons though, and even so, some animals are kept in awful conditions when being tested upon, which isn't acceptable.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Apr 10 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #8
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

In the case where there are tangible benefits to carrying out the experiments (i.e. testing new medicines) then while it's not ideal, I support the use of Animal testing. If it's for cosmetics or substitutes to sugar then no. So to answer the question, I don't think they should be banned outright.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 10 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #9
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Completely against it - but didn't know whether to vote for or against in the poll as it doesn't make sense.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 10 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #10
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(#BJSCSLAYERRRRRR @ Apr 10 2015, 08:52 PM) *
Completely against it - but didn't know whether to vote for or against in the poll as it doesn't make sense.

The statement is 'Animal testing should be outright banned' so if you vote FOR that means you support this statement, if you vote AGAINST it means you are against this statement.

So if you are against animal testing and think it should be banned completely then i'd assume you'd be voting 'for' tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 10 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #11
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Oops I voted against as in against animal testing.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 10 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #12
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(#BJSCSLAYERRRRRR @ Apr 10 2015, 08:58 PM) *
Oops I voted against as in against animal testing.

I have changed your vote in the poll then assuming you didn't want to do that magic.gif

+Quote Post
Umi
post Apr 10 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #13
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

It's a simple question. If there is a more palatable alternative to animal testing where testing of product is essential, then ban it. If not, don't. Unless your stance is strictly that no negative consequences for humanity justify the suffering of animals, you should never answer "Yes" to banning it without thinking there is something to replace it.

Unfortunately I have no idea if we do have a replacement, so I don't have any vote to give.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Apr 11 2015, 10:26 AM
Post #14
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Wait, I chose For because I wanted it to be banned, not supporting animal testing. Did I understand the question correctly or if I didn't can my vote be changed please? teresa.gif

I think humans should be the ones being tested, simply because we are the ones benefiting from the products and are willing to test the products themselves, and the animals have nothing to do with our products, not even getting a say in the matter!

Then again there's animals products designed for animals. That's something to thinking about thinking.gif

This post has been edited by Šşinniŋğ Åđɑм: Apr 11 2015, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Apr 11 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #15
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Are you willing to offer yourself to science for medicine testing then?
It is very easy to just be in favour of banning testing, but what is the alternative?

This post has been edited by *Tim: Apr 11 2015, 10:36 AM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Apr 11 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #16
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(*Tim @ Apr 11 2015, 11:35 AM) *
Are you willing to offer yourself to science for medicine testing then?
It is very easy to just be in favour of banning testing, but what is the alternative?

Not personally no but it just isn't fair that snimals have to take the risk just because they are not intelligent enough to get a say in it cry.gif but in sure some people out there will be willing to, however in not sure about legal issues...

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Apr 11 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #17
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

This is a question that always pops up in my Biology past papers laugh.gif I love animals so much! I think it's cruel to experiment on them but I also think it's necessary on the other hand for the creation of new medicine and possibly curing diseases such as various cancers.

QUOTE(Šşinniŋğ Åđɑ @ Apr 11 2015, 11:48 AM) *
Not personally no but it just isn't fair that snimals have to take the risk just because they are not intelligent enough to get a say in it cry.gif but in sure some people out there will be willing to, however in not sure about legal issues...

Drug testing on humans is also very unethical and I'm almost positive the majority of scientists are not willing to do so on ethical grounds and I doubt many people would want to go through a scientific experiment themselves. Of course the animals feel pain too but unless there's another way (which if there is, then I'm all for banning) it's an essential process in drug testing.

This post has been edited by Nelly. S: Apr 11 2015, 11:11 AM

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 11 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #18
Henrietta R Hippo

With human testing though, the humans actually have a say in whether they are experimented on or not. I presume often this is at the reward of hefty payments or other benefits. I fail to believe there is human testing for unwilling participants or for people that are unaware what is happening to them (like is the case with all animals that are tested).

I understand fully what Spadam is saying, but there is no logical alternative so this animal testing is the lesser of two evils it seems and thus an inevitable procedure sad.gif

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Apr 11 2015, 11:34 AM
Post #19
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think it's just a problem of legality and the volunteers willing to partake in a drug trial (which happens anyways in the next stage of drug testing), it's an issue with 'is it more ethical for an animal to suffer or a human' at a stage in which the side-effects of the drug are not known. If humans were used instead at this point, they wouldn't really know what they're getting into either, they would just know that there could be side-effects but not of what the effects *really* are.

This post has been edited by Nelly. S: Apr 11 2015, 11:39 AM

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 11 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #20
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Nelly. S @ Apr 11 2015, 12:34 PM) *
I don't think it's just a problem of legality and the volunteers willing to partake in a drug trial (which happens anyways in the next stage of drug testing), it's an issue with 'is it more ethical for an animal to suffer or a human' at a stage in which the side-effects of the drug are not known. If humans were used instead at this point, they wouldn't really know what they're getting into either, they would just know that there could be side-effects but not of what the effects *really* are.

Oh yeah that's a true point. They'd test the products on humans after and if, the animal tests are successful.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 10:30 PM