BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When is Cheryl's birthday?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
dancember
post Apr 16 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #1
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

so this maths question from Singapore has gone viral. Apparently aimed at the top % of 14-15 year olds in Singapore

is anyone here smart enough to actually solve it then? ohmy.gif I'm an A-level math student and I had no idea, but then obviously their maths curriculum is different to ours.

The answer is (spoiler) 16 July
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Apr 16 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #2
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

Isn't this one for the GA forum because we all know she's just Cheryl now? laugh.gif

I couldn't do this when I saw it, I don't even understand the explanation tbh.

This post has been edited by Josh.: Apr 16 2015, 04:17 PM

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Apr 16 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

One thing I worked out very quickly is that Cheryl is one of those saddo's that can't give a straight answer. These freaks crop up mostly on Maths and Science exam papers.

You always get to the bit of 'Sarah, Robert and Simon are trying to work out' and you're already going 'why?' before you even read what it is their aiming to do.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 16 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I have seen this but cannot fathom an answer.. I will keep going pirate.gif!

On a related note, Maths in Singapore and other East-Asian countries are world's away from what we do. A school linked to my University was visited by Chinese Maths teachers and some were able to observe the lessons. They are 30 minutes each with little teaching and all DOING for the children, solving problems like this and the statistics for how far ahead the children are there in their abilities compared to England and other European countries is alarming primarily because of how they are taught. Hardly any writing down, and the entire time is spent thinking for the children compared to the huge amount of time spent faffing around in English schools.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 16 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #5
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

That's even worse than "_______ have £27 between them, they want to share it in the ratio...." drama.gif

I wonder how Cheryl is going to celebrate? Will she get a takeaway, tell one place the address and the other the order and just hope it arrives?? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Apr 16 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKendrick @ Apr 16 2015, 05:18 PM) *
I have seen this but cannot fathom an answer.. I will keep going pirate.gif!

On a related note, Maths in Singapore and other East-Asian countries are world's away from what we do. A school linked to my University was visited by Chinese Maths teachers and some were able to observe the lessons. They are 30 minutes each with little teaching and all DOING for the children, solving problems like this and the statistics for how far ahead the children are there compared to England and other European countries is alarming primarily because of how they are taught. Hardly any writing down, and the entire time is spent thinking for the children compared to the huge amount of time spent faffing around in English schools.

We have to keep them doing things because if we ask them to just think they won't. They're set up for being spoonfed, it's no wonder UK countries pale in comparison to others.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 16 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #7
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(T Boy @ Apr 16 2015, 05:20 PM) *
We have to keep them doing things because if we ask them to just think they won't. They're set up for being spoonfed, it's no wonder UK countries pale in comparison to others.

Exactly. We are being encouraged, as new teachers, to adopt strategies like this though to a) ease the pressure off us when we get into full time teaching b) it is so much more beneficial to have the children solving problems rather than copying out of textbooks etc.

I know as the children get older and the requirements to meet syllabus standards increase, there is less leniency but if it can start for children at an early age, there is a chance & hope it will feed through further education too. It's what is required of them at University, but the way our education is structured, it makes the leap so difficult for many.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Apr 16 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I don't know who'd wanna become friends with someone that makes you work out her own birthday.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Apr 16 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKendrick @ Apr 16 2015, 05:25 PM) *
Exactly. We are being encouraged, as new teachers, to adopt strategies like this though to a) ease the pressure off us when we get into full time teaching b) it is so much more beneficial to have the children solving problems rather than copying out of textbooks etc.

I know as the children get older and the requirements to meet syllabus standards increase, there is less leniency but if it can start for children at an early age, there is a chance & hope it will feed through further education too. It's what is required of them at University, but the way our education is structured, it makes the leap so difficult for many.

It needs to start from an early age, that's a certainty. I'm glad to see it is happening. The last couple of batches of year 7s we've had have been quite lazy in comparison to what they should be and I think it's down to how they've learned to learn at a young age. There's been a lot of expectation to be entertained and accepting they can't do things rather than trying a bit harder. Not in every case of course but it's seems wider spread than normal. I'm glad steps have been taken to rectify this.

+Quote Post
April
post Apr 16 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #10
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

Once it's explained to you, it's quite simple actually! magic.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Apr 16 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #11
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

How would one answer this question if Abdul Fareek was Cheryl?

(But seriously is this gurl for REAL. My brain is fried. BRAY help us!)

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Apr 16 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #12
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Apricot @ Apr 16 2015, 05:34 PM) *

She's still a total cow tho.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Apr 16 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #13
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

This isn't really a maths question? It's just a logic puzzle. I suppose it can be solved using maths but still ~

Bernard would know what the date was if it was the 18th or 19th as they both only appear once. So if Albert says he knows Bernard doesn't know, that means it must be in either July or August, as they only have dates which are repeated by others. As Bernard knows it's either July or August and he now knows for sure what it is, it must be one of 16th July, 15th August or 17th August (because if it was the 14th then he still wouldn't know as it could be either month). Then if Albert knows the month and now knows for sure what it is, it must be July because there would still be two options left if it wasn't. Therefore 16th July.

Defending my widget with poorly written and difficult to follow mental gymnastics!!1!

EDIT: Spoilered in case people are still trying to figure it out magic.gif My description probably wouldn't help anyway but still.

+Quote Post
April
post Apr 16 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #14
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

QUOTE(T Boy @ Apr 16 2015, 05:37 PM) *
She's still a total cow tho.

That's because she related to the subject of Maths! smoke.gif

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Apr 16 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Liаm @ Apr 16 2015, 05:19 PM) *
I wonder how Cheryl is going to celebrate? Will she get a takeaway, tell one place the address and the other the order and just hope it arrives?? ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Apricot @ Apr 16 2015, 05:34 PM) *

Explanation please!!

EDIT: Ah nevermind, I see Bre has explained in not at all a difficult way. heehee.gif

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Apr 16 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #16
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

When I first read it I thought how could anyone possibly work this out? But once I saw it explained, it makes so much sense! I always hated word problems like these though.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Apr 16 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Saw this recently and could not figure it out. I'm not sure I even 100% get the explanation. Just very confusing but I like these kinds of things at times.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Apr 16 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #18
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Apr 16 2015, 05:33 PM) *
I don't know who'd wanna become friends with someone that makes you work out her own birthday.

laugh.gif

Gurl would be getting ditched in a heartbeat.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 16 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #19
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Yes I saw the video and was like "even I could do that if I knew how" (if that makes sense) laugh.gif It's just the way they're taught/their curriculum I expect, we wouldn't have anything like that in our exams so naturally we'll be a bit caught out.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 16 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #20
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(¡bré! @ Apr 16 2015, 05:38 PM) *
This isn't really a maths question? It's just a logic puzzle. I suppose it can be solved using maths but still ~

Bernard would know what the date was if it was the 18th or 19th as they both only appear once. So if Albert says he knows Bernard doesn't know, that means it must be in either July or August, as they only have dates which are repeated by others. As Bernard knows it's either July or August and he now knows for sure what it is, it must be one of 16th July, 15th August or 17th August (because if it was the 14th then he still wouldn't know as it could be either month). Then if Albert knows the month and now knows for sure what it is, it must be July because there would still be two options left if it wasn't. Therefore 16th July.

Defending my widget with poorly written and difficult to follow mental gymnastics!!1!

Logical problem solving is a strand of mathematics though~

Oooh that makes sense i think..!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 05:34 PM