BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 63
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Apr 17 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

As it currently stands, abortion is legal in the UK up to 24 weeks. However, if there is a substantial risk to the woman's life or foetal abnormalities, there is no time limit. There is also no age limit for treatment. In Ireland the current law is that abortion is illegal except where the pregnancy endangers the mother's life (including the risk of suicide).

The debate this time round, questions whether abortion should be made illegal in the UK to match the current law in Ireland.

If you are FOR in this debate, you support that abortion should be made illegal. AGAINST means that you believe the current law should remain how it is.

-- x --

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Apr 17 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Against but It's certainly not a confortable choice!

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Apr 17 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #3
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Does the law in Ireland say anything if the pregnancy comes about as a result of rape? unsure.gif (genuinely curious)

What it comes down to for me is that a woman should have the right to do what she wants with her body.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Apr 17 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I have never liked the idea of abortion but I'm against making it illegal. On the one hand, I disagree with taking a life that has barely gotten started and is not at fault in the situation particularly since there are those out there who struggle to conceive. But unwanted pregnancy is not always the result of carelessness and I do not believe that rape victims must be forced to live with the consequences of someone else's crime should they wish not to. I may not like the idea of abortion but we don't live in a perfect world and the choice should be available.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 17 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Apr 17 2015, 06:24 PM) *
Does the law in Ireland say anything if the pregnancy comes about as a result of rape? unsure.gif (genuinely curious)

It is not legal even for victims of rape. I found this article about a rape victim who tried to fight for her right to get an abortion but the law would not allow it: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...nd-abortion-law

Women in Ireland are allowed to travel to the UK or other countries to get an abortion though.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 17 2015, 05:37 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

I am against this too, though like Spadam it is not a very easy or comfortable decision to make. The main reason is for examples such as the article above - as if rape wasn't horrible enough, an unwanted pregnancy and an inability to do anything about it would make the situation wholly worse. There is also the impact on the child being born and raised by parents that do not want him/her.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Apr 17 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #7
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I'm definitely pro-choice. Especially if the pregnancy is as a result of rape or if the baby or mother's health is in serious danger. The current UK abortion laws seem fair

+Quote Post
Slade
post Apr 17 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Pretty much similar to the points already made really. Having to destroy a life that hasn't even come into the world yet would be a heartbreaking ordeal, but to outright make it illegal shouldn't be the answer. There could be multiple reasons why a girl wouldn't want to keep a child (e.g. rape) so it's completely unfair to force someone to keep a child that they feel they couldn't cope with. Pro-choice for sure.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Apr 17 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #9
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

No. Abortion should not be made illegal. That Guardian article makes Ireland's laws seem 'barbaric', which is a term used there I see. But to that extent of a control over its citizens is just that word.

And, well, in these cases where a baby is not wanted, it erm... decreases the surplus population. Which is minor in its effects admittedly, but when the child would have a poor, suffering quality of life that the parents cannot support, it's... I hesitate to use the word preferable, because killing potential life is not preferable, but it's not all bad. That topic is hard to talk about.

I may be going completely wrong here but if I were (a pregnant girl) in a situation where I would rather kill the child than carry it to term I would certainly not wait as long as 24 weeks and I would have used all forms of contraception prior to this last resort. The earlier it's done, the less icky and morally grey it seems.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Apr 17 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I am pro-choice and a firm believer that abortion laws should be made by women and not by old white men. (Looking at you Texas)

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Apr 17 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #11
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

The law in Ireland is absolutely disgusting, some of the ''debate'' about it changing it last year genuinely made me despair for the state of politics on this island, North and South of the border. For a woman not to be allowed the CHOICE at all is just unacceptable.

To that end I agree that the law in the UK is sufficient as it stands, I don't really have any concerns about the time limit, but I do tend to be somewhat nihilistic about things like this. I don't believe that a child being born into conditions where it isn't wanted/is a ''burden'' (something children should NEVER be) is preferable to not having a child/having an abortion. Abortion shouldn't be pushed as an easy solution though, there needs to be more education and awareness in the UK about proper use of preventative measures, but that's a longer term issue of course.

Basically, I am 100% pro-choice, there isn't even a slight bit of a question in my mind.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Apr 17 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(T Boy @ Apr 17 2015, 06:29 PM) *
I have never liked the idea of abortion but I'm against making it illegal.

This essentially what I believe too.

It is an extremely difficult topic to come to any sort of agreement as to whether it's right or not as I understand and, as long as the opinions are respectful of others, respect the two sides of the situation. I don't agree with people thinking they can have endless abortions just because they refuse to use protections but then I wouldn't want them to bring up the child if they don't want it and are going to treat it with the same carelessness. I also think it's a little unfair that the father gets little input in whether the baby should get aborted. I know it's the woman's body and she's the one that will have to carry and care for it for 9 months but it's not the father's fault that things work that way. Then again, a solution to that is to always have protection unless you're actually trying for a baby.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 17 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #13
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Lol no.

Abortion is not taking a life or a baby. At that point it's a collection of cells. It's a woman's prerogative to choose whether or not to carry it to term without meddling male politicians telling her what she can or can't do.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 17 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Silas @ Apr 17 2015, 06:12 PM) *
I am pro-choice and a firm believer that abortion laws should be made by women and not by old white men. (Looking at you Texas)

Preach!!

100% pro-choice.

Get out of their uterus, ol boy politicians!

This post has been edited by #BJSCSLAYERRRRRR: Apr 17 2015, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Apr 17 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #15
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

I've never seen how destroying unfeeling cells that have the capacity to become a human is somehow crueller than bringing a baby into the world that isn't wanted by its mother.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 17 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Apr 17 2015, 06:06 PM) *
No. Abortion should not be made illegal. That Guardian article makes Ireland's laws seem 'barbaric', which is a term used there I see. But to that extent of a control over its citizens is just that word.

And, well, in these cases where a baby is not wanted, it erm... decreases the surplus population. Which is minor in its effects admittedly, but when the child would have a poor, suffering quality of life that the parents cannot support, it's... I hesitate to use the word preferable, because killing potential life is not preferable, but it's not all bad. That topic is hard to talk about.

I may be going completely wrong here but if I were (a pregnant girl) in a situation where I would rather kill the child than carry it to term I would certainly not wait as long as 24 weeks and I would have used all forms of contraception prior to this last resort. The earlier it's done, the less icky and morally grey it seems.

You can't kill a child in that situation as it would be a fetus, a collection of cells.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Apr 17 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #17
don't lose your way
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(#BJSCSLAYERRRRRR @ Apr 17 2015, 08:13 PM) *
You can't kill a child in that situation as it would be a fetus, a collection of cells.

Is that not just semantics? I mean, sure it makes a difference in our emotional reactions but otherwise that's irrelevant. I'm more comfortable with the idea of early abortions far more than I am with ones approaching the limit.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Apr 17 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Apr 17 2015, 08:13 PM) *
I've never seen how destroying unfeeling cells that have the capacity to become a human is somehow crueller than bringing a baby into the world that isn't wanted by its mother.

Just playing devil's advocate here but there are other options-adoption for example-that mean that the being still gets a fair chance to live.

I've made my thoughts clear anyway but I do find if depressing that life can be denied to someone because two people were very slapdash and didn't think of the consequences.

However, I stand by what I said in my first post in this thread.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Apr 17 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #19
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Apr 17 2015, 08:13 PM) *

That's actually a very good point Qassandra!

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 17 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

It's more than semantics - it's about making sure the discourse doesn't get hijacked by the religious right which often espouses emotional-stirring lexis, e.g, 'doctors killing babies', in order to appeal emotively to people to support their anti-choice viewpoint.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 07:32 PM