Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem, The Israeli entry for the "Best Foreign Language Film" 2015
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Apr 30 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem" is an Israeli-French production which was released in my city two months ago. It was originally screened at last year's Cannes Film Festival, in the "Directors' Fortnight" part and it received very positive reviews. Much later, it was selected as the official proposal for Israel for the "Best Foreign Language Film" and was also nominated for a Golden Globe in the same category. I had not previously seen the official trailer but I read a few lines about its contents in a film site and they totally persuaded me to watch it on the big screen.
"Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem" is not based on a true story, although the heroine of the film could identify with thousands of other women in Israel. The film deals with the difficulties which women face when they decide to divorce. They face incredible bureaucracy and the religious law which in force in Israel, unfortunately it is not impartial towards them. So, the film is to criticize this sad situation with the particular story. Vivian Amsalem is separated from her husband and comes to the rabbinical court to get divorced. However, her husband refused to give her the divorce, the actual paper, and the whole process lasts years after Viviane Amsalem makes new application every time. The film has no exterior shots and its plot develops only in the courtroom. Nevertheless, the director Ronit Elkabetz along with her brother Shlomi Elkabetz, wrote the script and made sure to enrich the story with too many different characters. This course was very pleasant because otherwise the film would be pretty boring. Let alone, some scenes reminded me of an old Greek TV Series with similar context. Ronit Elkabetz not only dealt with the creative part of "Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem" but she is also the protagonist of the film and she was very good with her role! Her facial expressions were excellent in each scene and she needn't have to talk so that the viewers were able to understand her bad psychology. We see very rarely this playing technique and I think that very few actors can support it. In my country, of course, no one can do it, especially new actors. "Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem" was also well directed although I'm not a fan of this kind of directing and it had very interesting and well-written script dialogues.
"Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem" is a pretty good movie which is seen with interest and it does not tire the viewers. It could certainly have some exterior shots so to break the monotony but the writers obviously wanted to focus purely on the drama of Vivian Amsalem. It is not one of the movies that gather a lot of people in the cinema but it is one of those films that immediately earn the appreciation of the beholder. For this reason, it has a high enough score in IMDb (7,9) which shows that its audience has utterly loved it. Perhaps, some malignants have panned it as a feminist propaganda but personally I would say that it is a complaint form to the existing justice system of Israel.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2016 - 12:22 PM