BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you let Kevin Pietersen back in the England Test Team?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Would you let Kevin Pietersen back in the England Test Team?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
Mack'sXmasSack
post May 12 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Following on with the news that Andrew Strauss won't let Kevin Pietersen back into the England Cricket Team:

From BBC Sport Website:

Kevin Pietersen will not play for England this summer after director of cricket Andrew Strauss said there was a "massive trust issue" between the two.

Strauss said Pietersen, who recorded a career-best 355 not out for Surrey on Tuesday, has not been banned from future England action.

But, in a meeting with Strauss on Monday, he was told he would not be considered until after the summer's home Ashes series against Australia.

The 34-year-old was sacked by England in February 2014 but is playing county cricket in a bid to return to the Test team.

Strauss, speaking for the first time since his England and Wales Cricket Board appointment and after the sacking of head coach Peter Moores, said:

•Pietersen will not be selected in "short-term"
•Pietersen was offered consultancy role to ODI side, which he rejected
•Moores "had tactics and strategy limitations" - Jason Gillespie potential replacement
•Alastair Cook remains Test captain, Joe Root replaces Ian Bell as vice-captain
•Eoin Morgan remains ODI captain, with "more separation" between the ODI and Test sides
"We decided it was in the best short-term interests for Pietersen not to be part of the team," added Strauss.

"Over months and years the trust between him and the ECB has eroded.

"There is a massive trust issue between me and Kevin. I wish it wasn't the case. I can't give him any guarantees but nobody knows what will happen in the future."

Speaking on Monday, before his meeting with Strauss, Pietersen said he was "desperate" to return to the international game, adding: "Personal differences have got nothing to do with what the public wants. The public just wants to see the England team winning.

"What more can I do? All I can do is score runs. I'm incredibly proud of how I played under pressure," he said.

Pietersen reduced his Indian Premier League commitments this year to play for Surrey after incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves suggested an international return might be possible if he were to score runs in domestic cricket.

But Strauss's assertion that the South Africa-born batsman will not be considered for selection seems to signal the end of a career that took in 8,181 runs and 23 centuries in 104 Tests.

What do you think? Would you bring him back into the squad following the comments he made in his autobiography? Or is he just an disruptive influence to the England Cricket Team?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post May 12 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,265

I don't think its ever been about his ability. England aren't anywhere near good enough to turn down a player of his ability right now! He is a infamously disruptive influence though - very forthright in his views and is that ideal for developing younger players? If he doesn't like the coach or captain, that would create instant division in the dressing room.

I voted no.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post May 12 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

What he has said in this Telegraph column:

I am absolutely devastated that it looks like my hopes of an England recall have been brought to a close, especially given everything that has been said and asked of me.

I had a meeting with Andrew Strauss and Tom Harrison at a hotel in London on Monday night. I expressed my fear to Tom last week when he asked for the meeting that I did not want to sit in a room and be told that I was not going to be picked for England again.

I have been down that route before and I knew I would be in the middle of a game for Surrey which would need my whole focus and concentration.

Tom said: “No, no, no you have had one of England’s greatest careers and we need to work together." So, of course, I agreed to the meeting.

I have never hidden my determination to once again represent England and having played one of the best innings of my career earlier in the day, I must admit I was riding the crest of a wave.

Yet it now looks clear Tom knew exactly what Strauss was going to tell me. I messaged Tom after the meeting and asked him why he got me into a hotel knowing precisely what I was going to be told and having already explicitly asked him if that was going to be the case. “You talk about trust,” I said. He simply replied: “I am sorry you feel that way, Kevin.”

They have used the word trust to justify not selecting me, well, trust is a two-way thing. I couldn’t believe just half an hour after I had my meeting, the result of it was on the internet and on the BBC airwaves. Now I certainly didn’t tell anybody, so who did? They say they don’t trust me but how can anybody trust them?

I went into the meeting expecting Strauss to say that England’s batting order is good at the moment but if I continued to score runs and if an injury occurred then I would be in contention to play. I would naturally have to earn my recall, but at least I would be eligible. But no. Quite simply, I feel deeply misled. Tom has tried to say that Colin Graves was misrepresented by the media when he said there was a way back for me.

I'm afraid, as everyone can clearly see, this is the biggest load of rubbish. I had two phone conversations with Colin Graves and he was crystal clear in saying I had to get a county, score runs and that there was a clean slate. He said that when he comes in as chairman he wants the best players playing for England. He told me that on the phone in two separate conversations. He also repeated it to national newspapers.

I have done everything I can. Was I lied to by the chairman? Only he can answer that. Tom Harrison and Andrew Strauss have said today that all three of them are united in this decision, so I don’t know what to think.

What has happened since Colin told me if I scored county runs I would be available for selection?

Nobody has called me. I have given up my IPL contract, at great expense, to play in county cricket. Surrey did not have any funds free to pay me so I said I would play for nothing, just a donation to charity, and it is horrendous to feel I have been led down the garden path. They knew all along this was a dead end for me.

I am angry and hurt but right now there is nothing I can do about it. Strauss will be judged on his results. Yet I have heard from two very good sources that results do not matter this summer anyway. The job description for the director of cricket job is focused on longer-term goals.

But if Strauss has been told he does not have to win this summer then why should the players train and work hard? In essence, quite incredibly, they have all been given permission to lose the Ashes. I have never heard that before. It is not in my make-up and I know it is not in the make-up of the English public either. Especially for those who have paid a lot of money for tickets.

It is an absolute disgrace if that is their mindset. Is this the reason Strauss got that job, because he would accept those conditions? Michael Vaughan and Alec Stewart certainly would not.

It is true that after telling me I did not have a future for England, Strauss offered me the chance to sit on his advisory panel. But I told him to forget it. How can he in one sentence say we cannot trust you and then in the next try and say we want you to be on a board because you have such a wonderful cricket brain?

At that point I asked: “Who doesn’t trust me? You have a new chairman, a new CEO, we have spent the last 10 minutes sorting out our differences like adults. Let’s go through the batting order.”

I rattled off names. He could not give me any names. He said it is a broader thing and not just the players.

I accepted that Alastair Cook and I need to sort a few things out. But I thought we could manage that and Strauss is in a position to facilitate it happening. It is his job to ensure Alastair and I could do that.

I asked him if he thought that a new coach not being able to pick perhaps his best team was the right thing to do for the fans. Especially in an Ashes summer against a tough Australian team, who we’ll have to be at the top of our game to beat. He started throwing statistics around.

I said: “Please do not sit in a meeting with me, telling me I can’t play for England and start lobbing stats at me to justify it.”

I just find it incredibly deceitful what has happened to me and am frankly finding it difficult to understand right now. I have done everything I have been asked. I keep asking myself, what more could I do?

Under the agreement of releasing me from my IPL contract, Sunrisers Hyderabad have the right to recall me for the final stages of the tournament, so on Friday – at their request – I’ll be travelling out to India. It’ll give me a good opportunity to cool down and assess what I'm going to do next. I'm just sorry it won’t be putting on an England shirt.

Looking at this. He hasn't helped himself really with this. Rotten grapes really from Kevin.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post May 12 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #4
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Sour grapes maybe - but the England test team are so average right now, lacking big players. Pietersen is this player we need.

Kinda reminds me of the Beckham situation where we kicked him out of the team in favour of developing the team, but really, we missed him and he was a help when brought back in to the squad. I think Pietersen would have a similair effect, especially with the summer coming up.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post May 12 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Don't get me wrong. He's still a very talented player. England will be missing out again and be average as ever.

This saga set to go on.

We haven't heard the last of this.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post May 13 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Following all that, Kevin Pietersen has suffered a injury to his calf and Achilles which rules him out of the Indian Premier League.

Definitely quite a few days for him indeed.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post May 15 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Now the new England and Wales cricket board chairman Colin Graves has said that he didn't lie to Kevin Pietersen over a potential England recall.

The ECB now plans to issue a statement in response to the batman's allegations.

We'll wait and see what the response is there.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post May 20 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

And still the KP saga goes on with Alastair Cook saying that he didn't issue a ultimatum over the selection of him:

From BBC Sport:

Pietersen has been told he will not be considered for selection this summer, with reports suggesting Cook would have resigned had the batsman been recalled.

"There was no ultimatum on KP, I don't know where that came from," said Cook.

"The players weren't consulted and I want it to be that way. I just have to go out there and try to win games of cricket for England."

Speaking before the first Test against New Zealand at Lord's on Thursday, opening batsman Cook also said:

•He agrees with the decision not to consider Pietersen for selection
•It is "irrelevant" whether or not he is prepared to play with his former team-mate
•That he "does not know why he should keep answering questions" about Pietersen, because he was not part of the latest decision to disregard the Surrey batsman
Pietersen was given hope of an international recall by new England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Colin Graves, only for director of cricket Andrew Strauss to say the 34-year-old would not be selected because of "trust issues".

"That was a decision taken by Straussy and chief executive Tom Harrison," added Cook, 30. "We have got to start looking forward because the story has been put to bed by the ECB.
"They have decided the direction in which they want English cricket to go. I'm responsible for the team out on the field and I have to focus on that."

Cook was part of the initial decision to end Pietersen's international career in February 2014, but repeatedly asserted he not been involved in the most recent disregarding of England's highest runscorer.

However, despite endorsing Pietersen's non-selection, Cook would not explain why he was in favour of not having the South Africa-born player in his team.

"This has gone on for 15 months and we have to start looking forward," he said. "All the external stuff that has happened over the last 10 days isn't important.
"What is important is how we play our cricket. That is all I can focus on. It's irrelevant as to whether I can play with him because it's not a decision that I have to make."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 10:42 PM