BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OCC: Will's Best Sellers
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
truly talented
post 26th May 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140

Thanks to liamk97, who posted this in the chat forum.

Will Young's Official biggest selling singles revealed: "I'm shocked by that!"
26 May 2015
By Rob Copsey

To celebrate the release of his new album 85% Proof, Official Charts reveals Will Young's 10 biggest sellers.

With his sixth studio album 85% Proof out this week, we at Official Charts thought it was about time we revealed Will Young’s Official biggest selling singles.

It won’t come as shock that his Pop Idol winner’s single Evergreen tops the list with massive sales of 1.79 million. Released in 2002, it remains one of the biggest selling singles of the 21st Century. “I’m really very fond of this song these days,” Will insists. “It was so different and far away from me when I first sang it, so I probably resented it more back then than I do now.

“I remember Simon Cowell saying – even though he’s a tit – ‘one day you’ll link the moment of winning with this song and you’ll be fond of it’, and he’s right. I’m also really proud of it – I mean it’s a record breaker!”

Again, perhaps unsurprising to some, Leave Right Now ranks as Will’s second best-seller. The track, which spent two weeks at the top in December 2013 (holding off Shane Richie’s I’m Your Man in its opening week, no less), has sold 622,000 copies and is a song that Will still today describes as a “biggie”.

“That song made me,” he said. “It made my career – I wouldn’t be sitting here if it weren’t for that song.”

While his second single Light My Fire finishes third on the list with sales of 383,000, it's the more recent Jealousy that stands out for Will on the list, currently his fourth biggest seller on 368,000 copies. “I’m genuinely shocked by that!” he admitted, adding: “That’s brilliant. It really struck something, that song.”

Jealousy was an unexpected hit for Will at the time, landing on the Official Singles Chart at Number 5 in September 2011 - his first Top 5 in five years. “It all just came together,” he recalls. "Mima (Kish Mauve) had the lyric Jealousy, and we came up with a chorus melody, then Richard X came on board and put it together, and it just worked. I had a feeling that it was working at the time. It’s a goody, isn't it?"

As for his ultimate Will Young single, it’s got to be Leave Right Now, right? “Wrong!” he insists. “It’s Jealously. No question. 100%."

Check out Will Young's Official Top 10 biggest selling singles below:

1 ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE/EVERGREEN WILL YOUNG 1,790,000
2 LEAVE RIGHT NOW WILL YOUNG 622,000
3 LIGHT MY FIRE WILL YOUNG 383,000
4 JEALOUSY WILL YOUNG 368,000
5 THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD/SUSPICIOUS WILL YOUNG & GARETH GATES
6 ALL TIME LOVE WILL YOUNG
7 WHO AM I WILL YOUNG
8 YOUR GAME WILL YOUNG
9 DON'T LET ME DOWN/YOU AND I WILL YOUNG
10 CHANGES WILL YOUNG
© 2014 Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

This post has been edited by truly talented: 26th May 2015, 03:21 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ros
post 26th May 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,601

Good list there, I'm pleased they released it this week.

Why doesn't Will just come out and say what he really thinks of the highwaisted one? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 26th May 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140

He's used a few adjectives this week all which I agree with. laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread