BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cover versions you prefer to the originals...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidsanta
post May 30 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

... with the proviso you knew the original song first.

I'll start off with one that people always find hard to believe : I prefer Madonna's version of 'American Pie' to Don Mclean's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 30 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #2
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

a big one for me right now;

original by Chaka Khan of course, but loving this version a lot more

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post May 30 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #3
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Somewhere only we know- Lily Allen >>>> Keane

Dance With Me Tonight Part 2- Meghan Trainor >>> Olly Murs

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 30 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

'Dear Future Husband' derserves to rot in a hole and be left there for all eternity.

Anyway, one that springs to mind is the obvious 'Run' by Leona Lewis. I adore Snow Patrol but there is something about her version that has always done it for me, what a vocal performance.

+Quote Post
SevenSeize
post May 30 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #5
i'm a rebel just for kicks now
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

The one that comes to mind is the James Blake cover of Feist's "Limit To Your Love" (albeit with slightly altered title), original is very good though the Blake version takes it to another world :'(

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post May 30 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #6
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ May 30 2015, 05:43 PM) *
Somewhere only we know- Lily Allen >>>> Keane

I agree here totally, not that I dislike the Keane one as such but Lily's version is fantastic. Similarly, and I feel I may be alone on this, I prefer Charlene Soraia's version of Wherever You Will Go to The Calling's.

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 30 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #7
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ May 30 2015, 06:06 PM) *
I agree here totally, not that I dislike the Keane one as such but Lily's version is fantastic. Similarly, and I feel I may be alone on this, I prefer Charlene Soraia's version of Wherever You Will Go to The Calling's.

Charlene's version is a LOT better, on the basis of The Calling's version being absolutely unlistenable and her version actually being quite good.

Both versions of SOWK are great, not sure which I prefer actually, although the Lily one does sound better in Winter as I associate the song with the John Lewis advert

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 30 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #8
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Lifehouse's Somewhere Only We Know >>>>>> Keane's >>>>>>>> (x100) >> Lily Allen's

Anyway:

tbh

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post May 30 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #9
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Plenty, The Saturdays version of Just Can't Get Enough being a particularly controversial one. Grace Jones' reading of La Vie En Rose and Love Is The Drug and a more recent one is the Christine Baranski/Mamma Mia version of Does Your Mother Know.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post May 30 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

The covers of Run/Somewhere Only We Know/Wherever You Will Go are ABYSMAL, you are all wrong pirate.gif

Michael Andrews' cover of Mad World and Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt (both 2003 funnily enough) come to mind instantly, both stunning.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: May 30 2015, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
_____
post May 30 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #11
I like it slow
Member No.: 11,494

I adore that version of Mad World, but I think out of any version the Aiden Grimshaw performance might be the best performance to come from the X Factor.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post May 30 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #12
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

All Saints Under t Troll Bride.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 30 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #13
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Madonna's American Pie wub.gif It's not in my top 10 Madge songs or anything but I LOVE it, it gets way too much flack. I prefer it to the original by FAR.

There are plenty of X Factor performances that fit this for me, I could go on and on and on. Not even because they're tehcnically "better" as such, it's just that mostly I prefer their voice. Reigan Derry from X Factor Australia is one such artist, she sang songs I love like Unconditionally, Toxic and Only Girl so she couldn't touch the originals but then she did Stay With Me too and it totally slayed the whiny original. I also prefer her singing Chandelier to Sia, although I do love the original.

For "proper" songs, Run by Leona Lewis is definitely the biggest example, but others are:

Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me
No Doubt - It's My Life
Natalie Imbruglia - Torn (although it's really one of those songs nobody ever remmebers is a cover anyway)
Whitney Houston - I'm Every Woman
Kate Voegle - Hallelujah (the best version, but also Alexandra for my sins, I don't much care for Leonard Cohen's voice, nor Jeff Buckley's for that matter)

There are loaaadds more, through Glee and X Factor even but also just in general.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 14 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

Listening to Radio 1's Rock Day has made me realise I prefer Alien Ant Farm's version of 'Smooth Criminal' to Michael Jackson's. ph34r.gif

Since I've probably encouraged a vigilante mob, I'll take this time to say I prefer Leona's version of 'Hurt' and agree about the 'American Pie' and Just Can't Get Enough' covers.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jun 14 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

The definitive Handbags and Gladrags is, for me, the Stereophonics version. I'm sure there's something else but I often find that I do prefer the originals.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jun 14 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #16
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I prefer the MJ version of 'Smooth Criminal' overall but I actually think Alien Ant Farm pull off the 'Annie are you okay' hook better. (I actually heard the AAF version before the original, I love both versions anyway).

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jun 14 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #17
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Jun 14 2015, 02:42 PM) *
Listening to Radio 1's Rock Day has made me realise I prefer Alien Ant Farm's version of 'Smooth Criminal' to Michael Jackson's. ph34r.gif

That's actually a really good one. It's one of the better MJ songs but that's a fantastic cover.

In fact, that seems to be the main recipe for making me appreciate a cover of a song, turn it pop-punk. New Found Glory do a fantastic cover of 'The King Of Wishful Thinking' that's now pretty much the only version of that song I ever listen to.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 14 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 14 2015, 03:30 PM) *
That's actually a really good one. It's one of the better MJ songs but that's a fantastic cover.

In fact, that seems to be the main recipe for making me appreciate a cover of a song, turn it pop-punk. New Found Glory do a fantastic cover of 'The King Of Wishful Thinking' that's now pretty much the only version of that song I ever listen to.

Out of the MJ songs that are deemed classics, it's probably my least favourite from him. Still good, but I've always preferred the Alien Ant Farm version - as Bre pointed out, which I hadn't consciously considered before, the "Annie are you okay" hook works a lot better in rock form.

Speaking of MJ covers, I do love Fall Out Boy's version of 'Beat It', although MJ's just beats that.

I think that completely changing the genre of a song can be really helpful in making you see a song in a new light. However, my friends have exposed me to a lot of ghastly Punk Goes Pop songs before - one of the worst offenders being, on the theme of MJ, Breathe Carolina's 'Billie Jean'.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jun 14 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

Katharine McPhee's cover of "Some Boys" trumps over Death Cab for a Cutie's.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 14 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #20
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Speaking of Katharine, I actually prefer her cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow to any other version <3 Her voice is so clear and pure on it. But I guess with songs that covered so often like that one, a lot of people will have a favourite version that isn't the original. It's the same with Piece Of My Heart, I love the Bev Knight version <3

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 08:39 PM