BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sepp Blatter steps down!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
*Tim
post 2nd June 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Just reported on the Dutch news, lemme find an English source

EDIT:

Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.
In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32982449

This post has been edited by *Tim: 2nd June 2015, 04:54 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 2nd June 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

About time that toxic c**t stepped down. Now to get the 2018 and 2022 selections overturned and given to more appropriate hosts

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 2nd June 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Can I get a Hallelu?!

I was so angry when he was re-elected but I'm so glad he stepped down regardless. It's time for a new era in FIFA

(And reverse the decisions like Phil said indeed)

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 2nd June 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

Has he actually been found to be corrupt though? I know loads of his executives had, but surely his ambitions as president have been noble? Spreading football beyond the big established nations and giving Africa their first World Cup. Also, he's been pretty vocal on the need for reform - would he do this if he was implicitly guilty?

Think Russia should keep 2018, at least they are a country with a rich footballing tradition and Eastern Europe deserves to host a World Cup. Qatar is a disgrace though, I'd like Australia to host 2022 instead.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd June 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Excellent news. I was reading an article about UEFA leaders breaking away and drawing European teams out of the World Cup if Blatter wasn't dealt with, I wonder if that had any impact on his decision, given there'd naturally be far less money involved if most of the successful teams didn't show up.

He's been presiding over a corrupt regime for too long, the organisation needs change, and whether he's guilty or not he's got to have been aware it was going on. He's a symbol, and as he has been staying on the side of keeping the date for a ridiculous winter tournament bought with money and slave labour his time has passed.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd June 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

He was a senior person within FIFA for the whole of the time the alleged corruption was going on. If he really didn't know anything about it, that makes him incompetent.

Both decisions on 2018 and 2022 should be revisited, although Russia and Qatar should both be able to state their case for keeping the tournament.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 2nd June 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Great news, that's made my day.

I think Russia 2018 should stand, as for the Qatar 2022 which is one huge mess could be given to someone else without disrupting the British and the European league Games.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 2nd June 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 2 2015, 06:15 PM) *
Both decisions on 2018 and 2022 should be revisited, although Russia and Qatar should both be able to state their case for keeping the tournament.

Or they can be designated to whoever came second, whoever that maybe

Runners Up are Portugal/Spain 2018
Runners Up are USA 2022

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd June 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

It's clear that he's been tipped off. To go from being so stubborn about not resigning to resigning less than a week after being re-elected, something smells fishy to be here. It's excellent news of course, but FIFA needs reforming completely.

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Jun 2 2015, 06:01 PM) *
Has he actually been found to be corrupt though? I know loads of his executives had, but surely his ambitions as president have been noble? Spreading football beyond the big established nations and giving Africa their first World Cup. Also, he's been pretty vocal on the need for reform - would he do this if he was implicitly guilty?

Think Russia should keep 2018, at least they are a country with a rich footballing tradition and Eastern Europe deserves to host a World Cup. Qatar is a disgrace though, I'd like Australia to host 2022 instead.

I don't care if he's corrupt or not - if this level of corruption is happening in your organisation and you're not aware of it, then it's criminal. I admire him for wanting to give football to other continents, but that's it. He's well liked because the FIFA money is distributed equally, and every nation is equal. How the hell can San Marino get as much say as England/France in the way FIFA is run? All of the countries that back Blatter have next to no chance of ever appearing in a FIFA competition. This is where the reform needs to happen, the voting system should be balanced by the nation's contribution to FIFA.

I think the Russia World Cup will go ahead, and while it's still a massive joke it's being held there, I think it's too late in the game now to change things. Qatar on the other hand, well I think it could be in serious jeopardy now.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 2nd June 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

This is the best news I've heard all year. The new president must announce a revote on the 2018 & 2022 World Cups, especially Qatar as they are in no way fit to host a major sporting tournament.

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post 2nd June 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629

He is the 8th president serving from (1998–2015).

The full list are as follows from President number:-

1 Robert Guérin (1904–1906)
2 Daniel Burley Woolfall (1906–1918)
3 Jules Rimet (1921–1954)
4 Rodolphe Seeldrayers (1954–1955)
5 Arthur Drewry (1955–1961)
6 Stanley Rous (1961–1974)
7 João Havelange (1974–1998)

Jules Rimet was the longest serving 33 years.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 2nd June 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

How should the votes be weighted then, if people feel the bigger nations should have more say? I am not too sure how this is workable. Population? Football heritage?

Back when Stanley Rous was President, this was in effect how FIFA was run: favouring Europe and the big Latin American countries. This angered Africa and Asia who had to compete for just one World Cup place and mass boycotted the 1966 tournament. Created a culture where Joao Havelange was able to get elected in 1974 and this was when FIFA began to look for the support of smaller nations. Populist gestures like expanding the World Cup did this.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd June 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Jun 2 2015, 06:31 PM) *
How should the votes be weighted then, if people feel the bigger nations should have more say? I am not too sure how this is workable. Population? Football heritage?

Back when Stanley Rous was President, this was in effect how FIFA was run: favouring Europe and the big Latin American countries. This angered Africa and Asia who had to compete for just one World Cup place and mass boycotted the 1966 tournament. Created a culture where Joao Havelange was able to get elected in 1974 and this was when FIFA began to look for the support of smaller nations. Populist gestures like expanding the World Cup did this.

Maybe similar to how the US Presidential election is run? All countries should still have a say, but the way the system is right now is unsustainable and breeds corruption. Why the hell would these small nations ever want reform, when they get their pockets lined from FIFA money. And it's not invested in to trying to make their nation's football grassroots better! Blatter was intent on letting any small country be a part of FIFA because this just meant it was one extra nation on his side.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd June 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #14
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Good that he has gone - he represents all that is wrong with FIFA (even if he had nothing to do with it, as others said he has presided over this level of corruption).

I think FIFA needs to revisit the process by which the World Cups of 2018 and 2022 were awarded, and also redraw its guidelines. I think more should be done by UEFA and the English FA to promote and fund football in Africa and Asia and there should be an agreed timetable by which the World Cup is cycled equally between continents.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd June 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

The tiny island nations and poor African countries are probably not going to get anywhere near the World Cup for a long time. So they should have less say than the major footballing nations. With initiatives to help the lowest-ranked ones improve as a counterbalance to losing voting power.

This isn't going to be like 1966 again, the continent placings are fair as they are and I think it's unlikely that any future FIFA president will pull it back so massively in favour of Europe that another continent boycotts, but as the current system stands it's a bit ridiculous that Germany or France has the same level of say in FIFA matters as the Cayman Islands. In full agreement with Rooney on this.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 2nd June 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 2 2015, 07:15 PM) *
The tiny island nations and poor African countries are probably not going to get anywhere near the World Cup for a long time. So they should have less say than the major footballing nations. With initiatives to help the lowest-ranked ones improve as a counterbalance to losing voting power.

This isn't going to be like 1966 again, the continent placings are fair as they are and I think it's unlikely that any future FIFA president will pull it back so massively in favour of Europe that another continent boycotts, but as the current system stands it's a bit ridiculous that Germany or France has the same level of say in FIFA matters as the Cayman Islands. In full agreement with Rooney on this.

I think I agree with this in principle, but I still struggle to see how they'd implement this system. Who's gonna decide who's important enough to have a greater say in FIFA? Countries like India and Thailand have limited football tradition but surely they wouldn't be ignored? Would that be in favour of smaller, but proud football nations like Peru or Norway or Costa Rica?

You do have to encourage the minnow nations in some way and cutting them out isn't a way to do this surely?

A system controlled by Western Europe and Brazil/Argentina and probably the USA/China as well is surely as open to manipulation and corruption as the current system.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd June 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #17
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 2 2015, 07:15 PM) *

It's completely mental. It's the same mentality of sponging off the state, none of these minnow nations contribute anything to FIFA yet they get a massive pay package. No wonder they're happy! If this money was actually invested into improving the standard of football in their country then maybe it might change things, but there is zero incentive for them as with Blatter they just have it all on a plate. It's ridiculous. One nation - one vote is definitely not the way forward.

+Quote this post
Flatcap
post 2nd June 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Nah.
User: 27

This is the best thing to happen for football.

I would like to see a president be limited in the amount of terms that he/she can serve. Perhaps 2 like the system in the USA. Also an upper age limit.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd June 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 2 2015, 06:41 PM) *
Good that he has gone - he represents all that is wrong with FIFA (even if he had nothing to do with it, as others said he has presided over this level of corruption).

I think FIFA needs to revisit the process by which the World Cups of 2018 and 2022 were awarded, and also redraw its guidelines. I think more should be done by UEFA and the English FA to promote and fund football in Africa and Asia and there should be an agreed timetable by which the World Cup is cycled equally between continents.

That was suggested several years ago. They even adopted it as a policy very briefly, before it was dropped. I don't agree with sharing it equally, because each federation does not have an equal number of potential hosts. Europe has Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain and Russia who could host it on their own. Asia has Japan, China and Australia (as they compete in the Asian federation). Oceania has none (unless Australia return). South America has Argentina and Brazil, while North and Central America has the USA. Africa has South Africa, although others may be able to do so eventually. That would mean the USA would host it every 20 years, but England etc. would only get it every 120 years.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd June 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #20
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 2 2015, 07:59 PM) *
That was suggested several years ago. They even adopted it as a policy very briefly, before it was dropped. I don't agree with sharing it equally, because each federation does not have an equal number of potential hosts. Europe has Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain and Russia who could host it on their own. Asia has Japan, China and Australia (as they compete in the Asian federation). Oceania has none (unless Australia return). South America has Argentina and Brazil, while North and Central America has the USA. Africa has South Africa, although others may be able to do so eventually. That would mean the USA would host it every 20 years, but England etc. would only get it every 120 years.

You're right - any system should share equally across the continents but take into account the number of nations capable of hosting the event. Maybe the option of sharing (as was adopted in 2002, and frequently in Europe - or across Europe as in Euro 2020) could be a viable way around increasing this number in Asia and Africa.

I don't have a problem with England hosting it once every 100 years, we have to accept that there are an increasing number of countries that could do with the investment that hosting such an event brings.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:51 AM