BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alton Towers accident
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Jun 3 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So surprised there's not already a topic on this!

Big accident on The Smiler rollercoaster yesterday at Alton Towers. 4 people seriously injured, the theme park is shut down until Friday at least. Unconfirmed reports that one of the injured has actually lost a leg. Absolutely horrific!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jun 3 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #2
'Run Away With Me'
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,473

This is like the fifth big incident with The Smiler now isn't it? I'm surprised it hasn't just been closed down permanently, the smiler I mean. How many accidents can they afford to have on that ride before someone actually dies?

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jun 3 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #3
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

Guess who's going there next month!!!

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jun 3 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #4
'Run Away With Me'

Omg Patrick don't go on The Smiler plz x

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jun 3 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #5
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

I was there last year and the Smiler was terrifying. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jun 3 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #6
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

QUOTE(JSG @ Jun 3 2015, 08:04 PM) *
Omg Patrick don't go on The Smiler plz x

I won't go front row tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jun 3 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #7
'Run Away With Me'

QUOTE(Kl▲mzee @ Jun 3 2015, 08:06 PM) *
I won't go front row tongue.gif

Gotta compromise. wink.gif

okay don't go all final destination 3 on us thanx x

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 3 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh yes I heard about this, truly awful. sad.gif

Way to make me even more terrified of rollercoasters than I already was!

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 3 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #9
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

it's terrible how this can still happen in 2015 :/ hope the people injured make it out okay.

I'm already quite scared of rollercoasters and the like, I don't even remember when I last went to a theme park, it must have been years.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Jun 3 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #10
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

They need to close the smiler ASAP

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 3 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #11
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

This could so easily have been avoided by waiting for the test car to do a full loop, which is what I assumed standard protocol would be, before sending people out. That way when the test car didn't come back you'd know shit was still broken.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jun 3 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #12
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

I was there yesterday!

Thankfully instead of going to queue for The Smiler/Oblivion, we went to queue for Hex, Thirteen & Rita instead. We chose not to go to Smiler as we saw the empty carriage at the top of the dip bit, but it wasn't moving and we thought they were just testing the ride as there had been some technical difficulties earlier in the day. So we decided to go to "Forbidden Valley" instead and intended to go to The Smiler after, if it was running. This was all at about 13:55 (about 10 mins before the crash happened!) and we found out about the collision just as we were about to get onto Rita!

It was such a bizarre/quick change in atmosphere once we'd done with "Forbidden Valley" (for obvious reasons). Definitely a freak accident and apparently it was a system error. All the rides at Alton Towers have the system/server where if any of the carts are heading to the same section as another cart, they slam on the emergency breaks, to avoid collisions, but they obviously had a malfunction somewhere and it didn't register that there was already one empty cart on the track in that same section, so they collided!

Thankfully nobody has died, but it's still not good for those who have "life changing injuries". sad.gif

What I don't get is, why didn't the staff await for that empty cart to come back around in the first place/why did they send a cart full of people if that empty one had never returned?

I'm gutted tbh, because The Smiler is such a brilliant ride. But with so many things going wrong for such a BIG investment, they surely have to close it down? I hope not and they just fix all the problems/spend time on it, before rushing to get it open.

Anyone seen the video of the two carts meshed together? It's really scary (even though you don't see the collision)!

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Jun 3 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #13
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JSG @ Jun 3 2015, 07:55 PM) *
This is like the fifth big incident with The Smiler now isn't it? I'm surprised it hasn't just been closed down permanently, the smiler I mean. How many accidents can they afford to have on that ride before someone actually dies?

I'd be very surprised if it was closed down permamantly honestly. It's always had technical problems but to make the rollercoaster was very expensive to construct and if I remember correctly, they were struggling to gain a lot of revenue when the ride opened so they'll be at quite a loss if they decommission it now. I can't see it being open for a while however, not until they can 100% say with certainty that this was just a fluke and won't happen again.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 4 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #14
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I would say The Smiler is almost certain to close. Big investment or not, just look at past history of big theme park disasters, if you can't bring back the customers you will fail, and the park will shut. I wouldn't be surprised if The Smiler stayed shut for the whole of the summer then was decomissioned.

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 3 2015, 09:55 PM) *
I was there yesterday!

Thankfully instead of going to queue for The Smiler/Oblivion, we went to queue for Hex, Thirteen & Rita instead. We chose not to go to Smiler as we saw the empty carriage at the top of the dip bit, but it wasn't moving and we thought they were just testing the ride as there had been some technical difficulties earlier in the day. So we decided to go to "Forbidden Valley" instead and intended to go to The Smiler after, if it was running. This was all at about 13:55 (about 10 mins before the crash happened!) and we found out about the collision just as we were about to get onto Rita!

It was such a bizarre/quick change in atmosphere once we'd done with "Forbidden Valley" (for obvious reasons). Definitely a freak accident and apparently it was a system error. All the rides at Alton Towers have the system/server where if any of the carts are heading to the same section as another cart, they slam on the emergency breaks, to avoid collisions, but they obviously had a malfunction somewhere and it didn't register that there was already one empty cart on the track in that same section, so they collided!

Thankfully nobody has died, but it's still not good for those who have "life changing injuries". sad.gif

What I don't get is, why didn't the staff await for that empty cart to come back around in the first place/why did they send a cart full of people if that empty one had never returned?

I'm gutted tbh, because The Smiler is such a brilliant ride. But with so many things going wrong for such a BIG investment, they surely have to close it down? I hope not and they just fix all the problems/spend time on it, before rushing to get it open.

Anyone seen the video of the two carts meshed together? It's really scary (even though you don't see the collision)!

I have seen the video, but I don't get it? I don't think it captures the full effect, as apart from the screaming you can't really see anything, although I imagine a 50mph carriage crashing in to your legs is going to cause some serious damage. Life changing injuries sounds so bad.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 4 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Health and safety policy: when in doubt close it down, there are plenty of other rides.

I'm a huge thrill ride fan, but the thrill is knowing you're not going to get injured, otherwise it's an anxiety ride. Been on loads in Florida big big rides and done them dozens of times each, it's not unusual for one ride to be out of service for checks at any given visit. I'm guessing the poor victims will at least have the small compensation of big injury insurance payouts, though no compensation as such for losing a leg at all.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 4 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #16
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I definitely think this will get closed down. It's been major news and clearly with its history of accidents it just isn't safe enough, and many people have probably been put off going on this ride because of it.

such a shame about someone losing their leg, no amount of compensation will undo that sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 4 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

If they don't shut the ride down it'll be disgusting

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Jun 5 2015, 05:04 AM
Post #18
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

I love carnivals etc but I still have a massive phobia of some rides and this does not help it in the slightest sad.gif

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jun 5 2015, 10:06 AM
Post #19
'Run Away With Me'

See told you Im surprised it's not been shut down and clearly a good few people on Buzzjack agree so imagine how many people that go to alton towers will feel the same. If they keep it operating I'm sure it will be at a decrease I'm customers and they'll always make a loss on it so why not cut the damn thing off and bring another attraction to the park.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jun 5 2015, 01:31 PM
Post #20
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

Thorpe Park & Chessington have had some big ride closures (namely 'Saw: The Ride')

Four rollercoasters across three of the UK's biggest theme parks are to close "for the foreseeable future" following a serious crash at Alton Towers on Tuesday.

The Smiler, which left four people with "significant lower limb injuries" after two carriages collided earlier this week, will remain shut when Alton Towers reopens to the public "within the next few days".

It has also been confirmed that Saw, a similar rollercoaster at Thorpe Park, will be closed indefinitely.

Meanwhile, at Chessington World of Adventures, a further two rides - Dragon's Fury and Rattlesnake - are being taken out of service.

VARIOUS
Dragon's Fury, at Chessington World of Adventures, is also closed

According to Merlin Entertainments, which runs all three theme parks, the closures are while "an additional set of safety protocols and procedures" are introduced.

The company's chief executive, Nick Varney, added: "This has been a devastating experience, and we are committed to learning the lessons from it."

Play video "Shock In Seconds After Smiler Crash"

Video: Shock In Seconds After Smiler Crash
Gerstlauer, a rollercoaster company based in Germany, manufactured The Smiler and Saw - costing millions of pounds.

Meanwhile, the two rides at Chessington World of Adventures were built by another German firm, called Maurer.

Visitors to Thorpe Park in recent days had complained on Twitter about the closure of Saw, which has been withdrawn from service since Tuesday.

Two other rides at the Surrey attraction, Colossus and Stealth, have also been closed today for "unrelated" reasons.

Merlin Entertainments is losing £500,000 in revenue for every day that Alton Towers remains closed.

Yesterday, it was confirmed that there was an 11-minute delay before 999 were called after The Smiler crash. Alton Towers had previously claimed the emergency services were "called immediately".

The Smiler, which cost an estimated £18m to build, had been closed twice before because of safety concerns - and boasts a world record for being the rollercoaster with the most loops.

In Tuesday's crash, textile design student Joe Pugh, 18, and 17-year-old girlfriend Leah Washington, were badly hurt.

The other two people seriously injured in the incident have been named as Daniel Thorpe, a hotel assistant manager from Buxton in Derbyshire, and Vicky Balch, from Leyland in Lancashire.
Source: SKY NEWS

I'm not surprised that they've closed them off if they're by the same company. Apparently it's all down to Merlin wanting new regulations in place and have to look over them again. I will be devastated if 'Saw' ends up being shut down completely (despite no reports of any faults, to my knowledge) and ends up going. Easily the best ride I've ever been on! sad.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 07:15 AM